Excalibur-series noncompulsory multi-stage space battleships

Gentlemen, I present to you what I have found to be my singlemost successful rocket to date:

The Excalibur Mk.1 Noncompulsory 3-stage Space Battleship

Why is she a Space Battleship, you ask? Because ever since I started building her, I can\'t stop humming the Space Battleship Yamato themesong. So shut up.

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_1_p_1_by_ironscythe-d4cbf13.png

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_1_p_2_by_ironscythe-d4cbfb7.png

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_1_p_3_by_ironscythe-d4cbfff.png

Yea, I should lower the fuel capacity on those things. I forgot that I left them with high capacity back when the atmosphere was soup. I\'ll attest that the rcs tanks work wherever they are placed, provided they have fuel flow to the rcs tank. Nice looking ship though, makes me want to build something like it.

Yeah, the RCS quads all work just fine, but for some reason, when I set them up on the ASAS, they start firing like crazy... does anyone know if the ASAS modules work against each other when there\'s more than one?

Honestly, whether a part is overpowered or not has never bothered me. My two main considerations are aesthetics and stability. Realism is waaaay down the list.

Time for variants!

Excalibur Mk.1a- replaces the wingload engines with big fins. Less powerful, but it still looks great.

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_1a_by_ironscythe-d4cch4a.png

Excalibur Mk.1b- removes the long maneuvering fins to bring back the engines from the base Mk.1, but with more fuel. Retains some improved atmospheric control in the trade.

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_1b_by_ironscythe-d4cch95.png

Excalibur Mk.1b2- takes ASAS completely out of the equation, and replaces 2nd stage with a nifty shuttle! With landing gear! Good luck landing it, though!

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_1b2_by_ironscythe-d4cchgk.png

Yea, I should lower the fuel capacity on those things. I forgot that I left them with high capacity back when the atmosphere was soup. I\'ll attest that the rcs tanks work wherever they are placed, provided they have fuel flow to the rcs tank. Nice looking ship though, makes me want to build something like it.

There\'s no need, they\'re primarily for use in the atmosphere, and its still hard enough to fly. Real planes have a far better fuel ratio anyway, and they should stay as is until aerofoils and airbreathing engines are added.

If someone dares to 'cheat' and bring one into space (the horror!) thats okay too :)

Using what I\'ve learned from the Mk.1 and its variants, I now present the improved Excalibur Mk.2! Thanks to a recent appropriation of MoachCraft Amalgamated Components rejects and stuff that fell off the back of the Silisko Industries Doughnut Research & Spacecraft Development delivery truck, we now have a compact SAS controller, heat shield, escape tower, and compatible parachute!

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_2_p_1_by_ironscythe-d4cjqka.png

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_2_p_2_by_ironscythe-d4cjqqz.png

ksp0_11x3_excalibur_mk_2_p_3_by_ironscythe-d4cjr4r.png

Oh, and I don\'t think I ever quite explained the 'noncomulsory multi-stage' part-- it refers to the fact that you don\'t need to drop anything to actually get into orbit. Re-entry and landing might be a problem, though.

Yeah, the RCS quads all work just fine, but for some reason, when I set them up on the ASAS, they start firing like crazy... does anyone know if the ASAS modules work against each other when there\'s more than one?

It\'s because the ASAS is correcting even the slightest deviation from its set heading. You could try turning off the RCS until you\'re exo-atmospheric.

That is fairly awesome - imagine once we get persistence, you could actually park that engine section at a station for refueling and maintenance, and use the upper stage as a crew re-entry vehicle - it just gets relaunched on top of a booster for next time.

Also: Built in mun-lander :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.