How does it all end?

Rage097

For clarification We're talking about our own world.

I think that we'll probably be ended by some horrible natural disaster, like yellowstones mega-volcano or some astronomical body impacting us. Not anytime soon though.

I agree with kerbface, we'll most likely not realize the world is ending until it's halfway through. Hopefully we'll have colonies on other planets by then.

Although a zombie apocalypse or massive Worldwide EMP would be nice.

Are you talking about humans or the world? It will take more than Zombies to destroy the world. My money is on a supernova.

This is the last clarification post.

I mean OUR world. If we are gone we cannot perceive the world, so the world has ended to us. but the WORLD ending is fine too.

Well no one knows when Earth will actually end, let alone how would it be.

Unless our sun forgets how to sun and becomes red giant, which is ~5 billion years from now (according to the graph below). Possible outcomes would be:

a) Inner planets would be pushed outward by the expanding sun.

B) Inner planets would be devoured by the expanding sun.

c) Mercury and Venus would be devoured, sparing Earth, but it would be now orbiting too close to the sun (basically, this).

sun_life.jpg

I assume that we have more than enough time to advance our technology and we would have terraformed Mars and have bases on other moons before it happens (or we have evolved to a higher class of species) to negate the effect, unless if, heaven forbid, civilization goes all-out

at some point.

The end of the Earth, the end of lif on Earth, and the end of Humanity are three very different things.

If we are only talking about Earth, then it will end when the Sun goes supernova. As a species, we will be long gone by then whatever we do, so it doesn't really matter.

I am talking End of Earth, End of Humanity and End of Both at the same time.

You know, like, Zombies, nukes, aliens, spaceship, darth vader, death star, super nova, asteroid, flamethrower, bees, Mayans, comets, anarchy.

The end of the world as we know it.

Honestly though, I'm sure eventually it will come to be that we cannot support our population and have made conditions living on Earth poor. Then governments will be unable to handle anything, society will crumble, crime, poverty and disease will spread like crazy and many will die until there are only smallish groups left scattered across the globe. Then we will be like medieval folks again except in the relics of a much greater civilisation. Will we become a collective race of intelligent civilised beings again? Possibly, we might be able to use our wits to get back to a safe and productive state, or perhaps nature will get the better of us since we have lost much of our survival instinct.

Simple, Squad fails to release a 1.00 for KSP, world wide riots result in interdimensional demons being summoned that destroy this universe.

No it wouldn't. The chance that objects would actually collide is very small.

I'd assume that the sudden gravitational perturbations caused by the presence of several million stars coming into close contact wouldn't be good for anyone living in either galaxy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.