Controlling objects with probe cores

Hi all,

I have a question regarding probe cores. I tried launching a rocket with only a probe core in control, and while I was able to control the staging I was not able to turn it. However a ship/station in orbit controlled by a probe core can be turned. Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks in advance!

Was the a.s.a.s. turned on? I used to use mostly probe cores but now I mostly use them for craft that I don't need to turn very much since the manned pods are much more responsive.

Probe cores have almost no torque so for a rocket launch you will want to have tailfins installed at the base of your core stage to provide steering in the lower atmosphere, as well as gymbaling engines for steering higher up once the atmosphere is too thin for the fins to work. And RCS for your Space maneuvers. Probe cores can turn you in space yes but very very slowly!! Also, you may have lost control due to running out of power? They only have 5 units of power so be sure you have RTG's or solar panels installed.

The station in orbit has only its own inertia to resist the torque of the pod, but a ship taking off has to deal with the weight distribution of the ship, forces applied by the airflow, exactly how the thrust of the engine is aligned with the COM, and the inertia of the ship.

What Vanamonde says pretty much nailed it on the head.

I'd advise you to stick some fins to the base of the rocket to help it maneuver while you're still in the lower reaches of the atmosphere. Gimballed engines are also useful, especially once you reach a point where the fins don't work as well. Finally, a tiny splash of RCS fuel and a few strategically-placed thrusters will provide you with some additional control once you're above the atmosphere and no longer firing your engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.