[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

I forgot to integrate the hubs into the tech tree when I did the other parts. The update I put up yesterday fixed this. They'll be unlocked at the same level as the small and medium tanks (Heavier Rocketry). Sorry about that

I don't keep track of the mods through the spaceport...I prefer to check on my subscribed threads here on the forums...

But you didn't update the OP to say "v3.01" like you did on the spaceport...Made me worried and troubled about the future of my heavily modded KSP installation, and about the reason I exist in this universe, and about the reason the universe exists, and *goes on forever*.

Don't do that! It's so mean!

sad_054.jpg

-----

Ok, now back to seriousness! Thanks for the help & info; Downloaded the updated version and it's working like a charm!

I know it must be hard to manage things when you have to work on the mod's source at your machine, and at the same time manage it on various places (at least 2) on the internet; But I'll still selfishly request for you to try the impossible: Please try to always keep everything up-to-date! :sticktongue:

Even if you don't manage to accomplish the impossible, I'll still love your mod(s), and by extension, you! :)

TY , your structural components are amazing , I love them . You could have made a separate mod just with them :)

Glad you like them. I actually just made them for my own use to reduce part counts, and didn't intend to release them because I figured people would think they're too flimsy-looking. When I zipped up the pack I forgot to move them first, then I just decided to leave them in case someone got some use out of them.

This is a great mod. In my install, however, whenever a ship with the tank parts loads I get a lot of text on the right side of my screen, detailing texture loading details, etc... I assume this is a debug option. How do I turn it off ? Even if I can't turn it off it won't stop me from using these great tanks, but it would be nice to have a little less screen clutter when ships are loading.

Thanks again for the hard work.

• 2 weeks later...
Tal, any chance you could get spherical tanks working with the real fuels variant of Modular Fuels?

I've never played with the real fuels, but I expect it would just take a simple cfg change. I'll check into it.

- edit - Yep, looks like the easiest way to accomplish this would be to make a modulemanager cfg that changed the tanktypes. I haven't done this before, but it doesn't look too complicated, so if I get one working, I'll add a link to it.

Edited by Talisar

Talisar, your best bet might just be making them tanktype default instead of a custom tanktype. Then they'll accept all the fuels that default MFS tanks do, which includes realfuels if realfuels is installed. Instead of trying to maintain your own tank type.

That was my initial intention, actually. I was only going to use the custom tanktype for the "utility" storage tanks (EL and Tac resources, etc). The main reasons I went with the custom one for the regular fuel tanks was because kethane wasn't an option on the default, and the custom utilizations/masses I used kept the tank capacities consistent with the earlier versions. When I did the math for these I used (what would be) the actual physical volume to compute capacity rather than the combined LF/Oxy that appears to be what is in use for the default tank types.

It may be easier in the long run just to go to the defaults though...

Didn't you already include your own MFS configs some months ago Talisar? Or am i mixing you up with someone else?

Those were made up by Taniwha, I believe, and were for the old version of the tanks that added so many different ones. I only linked to them. As this version has compatibility built in (for the regular fuels, not the real ones), I don't think anyone has made any that they have put up for general use yet.

Gah it was Greys who messaged me about HexCans and i somehow thought it was Spherical Tanks so i dropped the support for your parts.. i can provide a config for your parts which will be included with the next version of MFS if you want.

That would be great! I'm all for having my parts fit in with all the available mods out there. Thank you!

MFS Continued allows per-part override of all those attributes, so you could set default tanktype but then override the values you wanted (and unoverrided values would be pulled from tanktype default). But yeah, if Chestburster's willing, he's the expert. :)

MFS Continued allows per-part override of all those attributes, so you could set default tanktype but then override the values you wanted (and unoverrided values would be pulled from tanktype default). But yeah, if Chestburster's willing, he's the expert. :)

So, instead of the current way it is in the tank configs:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 220.9
type = TALFUEL
}

I would instead do something like this?

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 220.9
type = DEFAULT

TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
utilization = 173.913
mass = 0.005
amount = full
maxAmount = 45%
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
utilization = 173.913
mass = 0.005
amount = full
maxAmount = 55%
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
utilization = 129.87
mass = 0.004
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
TANK
{
name = XenonGas
utilization = 4875
mass = 0.0001
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
TANK
{
name = Kethane
fillable = false
utilization = 436.36
mass = 0.002
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (Kethane Mod Required)
}
}

The volume of the tank is still nonstandard to the way that the tanktypes.cfg is set up though (220.9 cubic meters rather than 38400 combined LF/Oxi), so if it used that volume along with the utilization in the default tanktype to calculate the capacities of other types of fuel based on that, they would hold far too little. Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Why not just set the volume to cubic meters * 200? That's the MFS m^3 -> KSP Volume conversion factor. Then you don't have to mess with utilizations, and the volume shown ingame matches all the other tanks.

You certainly can do it the way you have it though, although (1) it will mean the tanks can store _very_ little of any resource whose utilization hasn't been given that factor-of-over-a-hundred, and (2) you don't need all that. You only need the values that you want _different_, so you just need the resource name and the utilization (since the others I see are unchanged).

If you want the tank to be better at storing some resources than others, I suggest

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 44180
type = DEFAULT

TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
utilization = 0.87
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
utilization = 0.87
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
utilization = 0.65
}
TANK
{
name = XenonGas
utilization = 24.375
}
TANK
{
name = Kethane
fillable = false
utilization = 2.2
mass = 0.002
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
}

Love the plugin, but got a little problem with toroidal tanks:

IRJloyA.jpg

They will lose fuel when engines are on, all of them, at the same time. Not really sure this is intended ? Also disabling fuel crossfeed on docking ports has no effect on them. No such problem on spherical tanks though.

Why not just set the volume to cubic meters * 200? That's the MFS m^3 -> KSP Volume conversion factor. Then you don't have to mess with utilizations, and the volume shown ingame matches all the other tanks.

I don't necessarily want the tanks to be better at storing one resource over another. I only changed the utilization values in order to make the version of the pack that uses the MFS plugin have the same (mostly, since it doesn't round like I did) capacities as the tanks in the earlier packs did. Using the actual volume was just me being lazy and letting the plugin do all the math that I had to do previously, and I didn't realise that the MFS conversion factor was merely 200x the physical volume.

Switching to using the MFS standard will make the tanks hold generally more than the previous iterations (looks like about 15% using the figures of the large tank off the top of my head), but that isn't much of a problem, I think. Makes more sense to standardize...

So, to make the tanks I have now have the option to fill with LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, Monopropellant, Xenon, and Kethane, using the default tanktype.cfg, I could make the part.cfg include this then, correct?

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 44180
type = DEFAULT

TANK
{
name = Kethane
fillable = false
utilization = 2.2
mass = 0.002
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
}

Love the plugin, but got a little problem with toroidal tanks:

-pic snip-

They will lose fuel when engines are on, all of them, at the same time. Not really sure this is intended ? Also disabling fuel crossfeed on docking ports has no effect on them. No such problem on spherical tanks though.

First off, very cool ship!

As for the fuel draining from all at once... I have absolutely no idea. I would have assumed that they would drain from the highest first like other tanks. Maybe the fact that they only have a single attachment node?

Love the plugin, but got a little problem with toroidal tanks [...] They will lose fuel when engines are on, all of them, at the same time. Not really sure this is intended ? Also disabling fuel crossfeed on docking ports has no effect on them. No such problem on spherical tanks though.

What kind of engines and fuel are you using? Things like MonoPropellant and Xenon pull from all tanks on the vessel. The "crossfeed" setting only affects LF/Oxidizer.

What kind of engines and fuel are you using? Things like MonoPropellant and Xenon pull from all tanks on the vessel. The "crossfeed" setting only affects LF/Oxidizer.

I thought about that too, but it looks like NERVAs on the pic he posted.

-edit - Yep, I reproduced what he described using just a regular LFO setup. All tanks drained at once.

Edited by Talisar

Having updated the Legacy file to support your tanks. You can leave the current configs as they are if you want for ppl who don't use our MFS mod but still want to change the fuel in the tanks.

Kethane does only need to be added to your TALFUEL tank since Majiir is already providing support for the DEFAULT tank.

Until V4 gets released, heres the updated file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce69ykph72pks1b/Spherical_modularFuelTanks.cfg

Yep, using NERVAs and regular LfOx. Each toroidal tank is attached to its own hub. Also if i have a regular fuel tank, the toroidal tank will drain at the same time too.

And thank you, this supertanker looks good thanks to your plugin, it a 600t baby doing the round trip to Jool. Just needs a small fix on its tanks so it doesnt come up empty at my Jool station :-)

Edited by Surefoot

Hi there,

i've tryed to add a battery option to the tanks by adding the following to the TankTypes.cfg:

TANK
{
name = ElectricCharge
utilization = 2438
mass = 0.05
amount = full
maxAmount = 0.0
}

But it don't work (i used the HSP-S-1 in this example):

- the preview in the action-group setting for ElectricCharge shows a mass of 498.5 tons for 9971 possible ElectricCharge

- but the mass is not added to the tank on the launchpad.

- if i enter 100 ElectricCharge to the tank in the settings, i get 10000 ElectricCharge on the launchpad.

How can i fix this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.