Homeworld + KSP = Awesome

ShroomOfDoom

100 years ago, a Sattelite detected an object under the sands of the great desert. A rover was sent.

An ancient pyramid, buried in the sand.

Deep inside the ruin was a single stone that would change the history of the Kerbals forever.

On the stone was etched a galactic map, and a single word more ancient than the clans themselves.

"Kerbin"

Our home.

---

The Kerbals were united, and a massive colony ship was designed. Construction would take 60 years.

It would demand new technologies, new industries, and; new sacrifices.

The Greatest of these was made by the Kerbalnaut Jebadiah Kerman, who had himself permanently integrated into the colony ship, as it's living core.

He is now MechJeb.

---

The promise of the Guidestone united the entire population.

Every mind became demented on the origin of our people.

...every effort on the ship that would seek it out, amongst the stars...

I never understood why Homeworld has so many die-hard fans. The 3d gameplay is an interesting gimmick, but in the end it only makes it harder to keep track of what is going on and more cumbersome to move units. But it barely adds any actual depth to the gameplay. Otherwise the game is just strategic rock-paper-scissors - the only thing which matters is to have the right counter-units available for whatever you are facing. The mostly featureless space scenario doesn't offer much opportunity for tactical terrain use either.

Edited by Crush

Homeworld was always prized to me for it's presentation. In a world where video games were always Teh Fast and Teh Furioust, Homeworld was like something directed by Stanley Kubric. Pacing was deliberate, storytelling was naturally integrated, the story itself felt immediate to the gameplay, excellent aesthetic, excellent score, good plot. The UI and controls were minimal, appropriate, and fluid. One of the most graceful games in practice.

I never understood why Homeworld has so many die-hard fans. The 3d gameplay is an interesting gimmick, but in the end it only makes it harder to keep track of what is going on and more cumbersome to move units. But it barely adds any actual depth to the gameplay. Otherwise the game is just strategic rock-paper-scissors - the only thing which matters is to have the right counter-units available for whatever you are facing. The mostly featureless space scenario doesn't offer much opportunity for tactical terrain use either.

"Only makes it harder"... "3D only makes it harder"... and you play KSP? :D ???

PS, the 3d had a real effect as most units had 3d arcs of fire, plus in MP it meant you could attack from on top as well as behind, so that really played interestingly.

Needless to say, I have found my flag's image.

n2g7ma.png

Oh hell yeah! i'm so going to copy that from you :P

On a side note: Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 were truly awesome games with a very interesting and immersive storyline. I'll never forget the moment when you return to Kharak, only to find it completely devastated. The music that plays (it's called Adagio for strings) does the rest to send a shiver down your spine. It's a shame they never made Homeworld 3.

• 7 months later...
Guest LTrotsky
Apologies for the necro... But can you please make a download or upload the image for your flag somewhere? I very much want it. :D

Definitely one of the cooler flags I've seen, but this community makes a whole lot of cool flags - so it's hard to judge ;)

I dislike poor players who dislike games because they're too hard for them.

"Only makes it harder"... "3D only makes it harder"... and you play KSP? :D ???

PS, the 3d had a real effect as most units had 3d arcs of fire, plus in MP it meant you could attack from on top as well as behind, so that really played interestingly.

Not to mention bottom attacks, best way to wreck a fleet ever.

@Crush that's how pretty much every good RTS game works, just minus the 3D. 3D space offers just as much, if not more, than tactical terrain. As for 'strategic rock-paper-scissors', that's the idea of counters in RTS. Have the wrong ones, get slaughtered. I'd recommend brushing up on your RTS skills before dissing Homeworld :wink:

It is good. Still play the original and Cataclysm every now and then... even Homeworld 2 occasionally (wasn't too keen on the storyline compared to the first two). I used to mod Homeworld a while ago now.

Made a couple of models for it, one in the 'Movements of Fire and Shadow' Babylon 5 mod (The Ticonderoga Carrier), and the other for the 'Sacrifice of Angels' Startrek mod (though I think they may have removed my ship in that after a while. It was the Breen frigate. I'm pretty sure they had a second Breen model by someone else after a few months).

Edited by Patupi

All I get when clicking on the video link is YouTube's "this video is private"... :(

A bit of news, the original Homeworld games are getting a major facelift by Gearbox software: http://kotaku.com/homeworld-games-getting-hd-remakes-861433053

And in an independent project, Blackbird Interactive is coming out with a prequel MMO-style game: http://blackbirdinteractive.com/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.