[0.20] Modular Fuel System 1.3/realistic fuels, reconfigurable fuel tanks and engines

ialdabaoth

Are you going to add one day LF2/LH2 fuel to your engines?

It would be a very...kerbal fuel mix.

I suppose I could... heh.

But honestly, once you've got nuclear rockets, there really isn't much point to LF2/LH2.

EXCEPT they make nice, acidic exploshuns and are chemical...If I wanted something good I could just create an Ion drive with,say, 20000Isp at SL and vac and give it a thrust of 50MN...

EXCEPT they make nice, acidic exploshuns and are chemical...If I wanted something good I could just create an Ion drive with,say, 20000Isp at SL and vac and give it a thrust of 50MN...

Well, to quote Wikipedia:

The highest specific impulse chemistry ever test-fired in a rocket engine was lithium and fluorine, with hydrogen added to improve the exhaust thermodynamics (all propellants had to be kept in their own tanks, making this a tripropellant). The combination delivered 542 s specific impulse in a vacuum, equivalent to an exhaust velocity of 5320 m/s. The impracticality of this chemistry highlights why exotic propellants are not actually used: to make all three components liquids, the hydrogen must be kept below -252°C (just 21 K) and the lithium must be kept above 180°C (453 K). Lithium and fluorine are both extremely corrosive, lithium ignites on contact with air, fluorine ignites on contact with most fuels, including hydrogen. Fluorine and the hydrogen fluoride (HF) in the exhaust are very toxic, which makes working around the launch pad difficult, damages the environment, and makes getting a launch license that much more difficult. The rocket exhaust is also ionized, which would interfere with radio communication with the rocket. Finally, both lithium and fluorine are expensive and rare, enough to actually matter. This combination has therefore never flown.

I'm having an issue with the mod, I've reinstalled the new mod like 2-3 times now and it keeps saying that all the tanks only have options for Oxidizers and LF and 2 lots of LF/LH2 it won't show the options for LF and LOX...

I'm having an issue with the mod, I've reinstalled the new mod like 2-3 times now and it keeps saying that all the tanks only have options for Oxidizers and LF and 2 lots of LF/LH2 it won't show the options for LF and LOX...

Gah, ok... I'm in the middle of adding new features, so I'll try to have a new version soon.

Got my configs sorted.

MFS Configs V1.0 released.

Changelog:

- added 2 new tanktypes: Jet (LF and LH2) and RCS (lower mass)

- added Spherical Fuel Tanks V1.6 support

- added missing B9 tanks

- added missing B9 Atlas engine

- added Kommit-Nucleonics (Fatman and Double-Nerva) support

- added missing KW tanks

- changed KSPX large nerva to be in line with the Fatmans (but its still the only engine with a LOX injector, may be added to the fatmans in a later version)

- added experimental Afterburner (40% more thrust, 10+ times fuel consumption) mode to the B9 turbofan and turbojet engines. Switch modes via r-click / actiongroups.

- added experimental LH2 and LOX support to the 2m Kethane converter

Download V1.0

If you dont want me to post these files in your thread ialdabaoth, just leave me a message and i will remove them. If you want to include them, feel free to do so :-)

Got my configs sorted.

MFS Configs V1.0 released.

Changelog:

- added 2 new tanktypes: Jet (LF and LH2) and RCS (lower mass)

- added Spherical Fuel Tanks V1.6 support

- added missing B9 tanks

- added missing B9 Atlas engine

- added Kommit-Nucleonics (Fatman and Double-Nerva) support

- added missing KW tanks

- changed KSPX large nerva to be in line with the Fatmans (but its still the only engine with a LOX injector, may be added to the fatmans in a later version)

- added experimental Afterburner (40% more thrust, 10+ times fuel consumption) mode to the B9 turbofan and turbojet engines. Switch modes via r-click / actiongroups.

- added experimental LH2 and LOX support to the 2m Kethane converter

Download V1.0

If you dont want me to post these files in your thread ialdabaoth, just leave me a message and i will remove them. If you want to include them, feel free to do so :-)

I definitely want to include them! I would encourage everyone to post any configs they make to this thread. Let's crowdsource this bitch. ;)

Also! Next version will be released soon - ModuleEngineConfigs will now work for ModuleEngines, HydraEngineController and ModuleRCS (and theoretically almost any other module)!

I will add more configs when people request them (or i start playing with new mods^^). HexCans will be next, even if i dont realy like the look of em *g*

btw. would it be possible in any way to add a fx_definition "switch" like hydra does it with the ModuleEngines? would love to make the afterburner visible :-D

What causes this double amount of fuel? I've seen it before and then I got it fixed... not sure how.. now just won't fix at all =/ I got the LOX to work now but still got double LF and double LH2

Scratch that I have now Quadrupled the LOX and LH2 now :) all others are ok.. =/

Edited by cardajowol

BTW I found the cause of this really annoying bug where your rocket will fall apart, yet still remain physically connected..

Any modular tanks using the tank type 'Fuselage' will do this, as a fuselage has a minimum weight of 0. When the tank is drained of fuel its total mass will be set to 0 and funky **** will happen.

It needs a minimum mass set in the tanktype configs, just like the other tank types have.

I've also found some weird behaviour with the HL B9 tanks. sometmes they will be modular, sometimes they won't be. I have no idea why it behaves so intermittent with those tanks, I can't find any errors in the config file.

I've also found some weird behaviour with the HL B9 tanks. sometmes they will be modular, sometimes they won't be. I have no idea why it behaves so intermittent with those tanks, I can't find any errors in the config file.

What configs do you use? The ones from the main download arent complete.

Hay Chest, I added your new configs to the mod but now its just stuck at the loading screen for KW3mtankL1 so I removed your CFG from the mod and it worked again... not sure whats going on there =/

not sure how to look at the logs... plus still seeing double LOX and LH2 when the CFGs show no duplicates.. plus I don't see the configuration correctly change on the engine config, it like lets me change the engine type but still says the current config is something else..

Mh, cant see any faults there. Maybe the plugin doesnt like Fuselage definitions? Havent run into that bug yet, but im using mostly Default or my own Jet and RCS tanktypes.

OR.. is that bug happening after you do a "Reload all" in the debug console?

not sure how to look at the logs... plus still seeing double LOX and LH2 when the CFGs show no duplicates.. plus I don't see the configuration correctly change on the engine config, it like lets me change the engine type but still says the current config is something else..

Alt+F12 brings up the debug menu. Are you running the game on a Mac or Linux?

Mh, cant see any faults there. Maybe the plugin doesnt like Fuselage definitions? Havent run into that bug yet, but im using mostly Default or my own Jet and RCS tanktypes.

There was a problem with Fuselage, which I fixed by adding in the minimum mass definition to a fuselage tank. But other than that they were working fine I think. (Plenty of tanks in that config are also set to fuselage but display no problems.. ?)

Thanks for taking the time to have a look anyway Chestburster, I think I know whats wrong with it now though, just waiting for my mammoth install to load ;)

Bollox, I was wrong :) I was hoping that replacing the parts on my craft would reset them.. I've seen something similar with tank dry mass.

OR.. is that bug happening after you do a "Reload all" in the debug console?

Nah, if I do that then all the module managed parts seem to get wiped back to stock.

To my knowledge this 'bug' only appeared after I removed modular fuel tanks to track down a different bug. When it was re-added, the HL tanks stopped working and AFAK literally nothing else was changed.... hmmm.

EDIT//

Using debug mode I can see that the correct config bits are being added to the HL tanks in-game. So that part of the config just isn't being loaded. I have all LFO tanks set to sctructural too and the HL LFO is the same there too.

Edited by s20dan

Um.. i just noticed i was using an older version of the ModuleManager.dll plugin (the one from FAR since it didnt crash my game). The MFS MM.dll crashes at startup, the DR MM.dll loads fine but gives me duplicated entrys (heatshields, tanks etc.) and switching engine modes isnt possible.

s20dan and cardajowol, try if your bugs still exist with the MM.dll from the Module Manager thread

Edit: Scratch that, i wasnt using the FAR one, i was using the one from the Module Manager thread. To much .cfg editing fries my brain -.- But that should work now.

Edited by Chestburster