[0.20] Modular Fuel System 1.3/realistic fuels, reconfigurable fuel tanks and engines

ialdabaoth

Um...it's the same dropbox link I'm always posting in this thread, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/16v210v2vbwv3ov/nmInpsRZ1P :)

So if I use the files in "MyModularFuelTanks.zip", I can:

a)keep my own configs?

b)will have to update how my hybrid engines work?

c)will be able to have 1 modular fuel tank and 1 engine config (as in LO2+H2 ONLY, plus whatever tankage you want) for combination tank/engine parts?

Like the thermal fins too, "cool" idea!

Cheers

The thermal fins are ialdabaoth's work. He was kind enough to send me his dev branch, and I'll be making an official MFS-continuation thread shortly.

a) You should be able to keep your own configs, although when I updated resource densities the ratio of LH2 to LOX changed, so you might want to change their ratios in your own configs. All engine configs are now in OldEngines.cfg in the root of the zip, but you can tweak the values in Calcs.xls and re-export if you like.

B) spot on. They now work just like ModuleEngineConfigs, they just can be switched on the fly. Check the KSPX_Modular Engines.cfg for how it works.

c) you will be able to have a single ModuleFuelTank block and a single ModuleEngineConfigs block (with as many configs as desired! It's no different from any other MEC block, I just moved the GUI so they don't overlap). PLUS you can put TANK {} blocks in that ModuleFuelTank block, and they will override the default values.

For an example, check OldEngines.cfg's version of the FASA Gemini descent module: it calls upon tanktype ServiceModule but then overrides some values.

There are already some tanks set up for that type, like the Jumbo 64. But if you want to change a tank, go to your modular fuels folder, open the CFG file for where the part is from (i.e. Squad if it's stock), find the name of the part (note, this is the internal name, not the part's title you see ingame) and change its type from Default to Cryogenic.

If you need to find a part's internal name, open its own CFG. Like if you wanted to change the Rockomax X-8, you know it's from Squad so you open the Squad folder, then Parts, then Fuel Tanks. Look in each Part cfg (in each of the subfolders) until you find one that has the line title = Rockomax X-8 (or whatever). Then look and see what the name is (look, above that, for the line name = SOMETHING). That's the part's name.

Well, as a holdover until there are such parts, you can just decrease the boil-off rate (or even turn it off altogether). You can edit those fuel specs in Modular Fuels/RealFuels/Resources/ResourcesFuels.cfg and find the Cryogenic tank type (if that's the one you want to decrease boil-off for) and decrease the loss rate.

Ugh, this is confusing...I just started trying to use this the other day. I see it hasn't been updated in quite some time, and there's like at least 2 or 3 people that appear to have forks going, with Nathan saying he was going to make a new post 'soon' several days ago. Trying to figure out what to use, not having read most of the thread (and not going to, there's too much for someone just jumping in), is just confusing, so I haven't used any of it thus far.

Now I find that possibly part of the reason the Delta-Vs on my spaceplanes is ruined so badly despite the much better performance (using a lot less on ascent) is that the burn ratio on the Sabres doesn't conform to what's in the config files. They're burning 40% LH2 and 60% LOX. I have no idea why, google doesn't come up with anything useful. There doesn't seem to be any good 'starting point' for someone just starting to use this mod to find information on the various fixes for it at all.

I'm strongly tempted to just uninstall it, and maybe check back in three months or so, see if things are more usefully collected at that point.

Edit: Okay. Only the Sabre-Ms are jacked up. They've taken every change from the B9 Modular Engines.cfg EXCEPT the fuel ratios. Thrust changes, thrust curve, fuel types...yeah. But it's ignoring the ratio. the Sabre-S works fine. The hell?

Edit2: Okay, found the cause, just not the why. In the debug menu part listing, it's got TWO "ratio = " under 'LiquidOxygen'. The Oxidizer's original 1.1, and the LOX's 0.27. The 1.1 comes first so presumably it's using that. No idea why as yet, the .cfgs for it and the Sabre-S (which works) appear to be identical, at least that part...

Edit3: Found it. Missing @ on the ratio in the .cfg file.

Edited by Tiron

I've been waiting since my partner in crime is at present sick. Apologies for the confusion.

I haven't yet installed B9, so didn't know about that bug. Thanks for the catch!

Yeah, I was a little whiny, sorry about that. I get that way when I'm frustrated.

Glad to help, though. Took a bit to track down, the first couple times I looked at it I didn't notice the Sabre S had the @ on the ratio and the Sabre M didn't. But then I don't really know modulemanager syntax so I didn't even know until then what the @ meant.

Fixing it DID help my plane quite a bit, I managed to get roughly the same Delta-V to orbit after having added another fuel tank, and suspect I could improve it more by optimizing my flight path better. Fixing the LOX ratio gave it about another 600-800 m/s or so. Not as much as I'd hoped but still quite helpful.

Edited by Tiron

• 1 month later...