[0.20] SpaceJunk Cargo Bay

RoboRay

However, if you would like to upload your file to Spaceport, I will link to it on the main SpaceJunk Bay page as an alternative texture package. I would prefer you upload it, since it's your work and this way you keep control of it.

I didn't think it's worth the effort, feel free to do whatever with it. :) I can't guarantee the file in the dropbox will stay around forever though.

But now that L2K found the original model, I suspect that's kind of pointless, reworking the model would do much more good.

• 1 month later...

Dam! Breaking Force and Torque of 50??

My Cargo Bay kept breaking away Q_Q...

Even I control the G force at 1.2G only..

Is the 50 Ton of payload being the problem >_<b..?

PS: My rocket is wobbling and there is no way to stop it..

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to make a request, if you're up to the challenge. Would it be possible for you to add an option to manually open the cargo bay via EVA suit? Through a series of unfortunate events the cargo bay from one of my ships has ended up severed from its command module, and now I'm unable to get it open. D:

Cheers, and good work!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try my hand at skinning it in the kerbal style. When I get that done I'll put a place for everyone to download. I hope to have it done tonight but we'll see. :)

Edited by sirkut

Ok here' goes. It's not the best and I'm refining my technique. Some extra screenshots to show the hatch/port artwork. Enjoy. Waiting on approval to include in a parts pack.

a6ksp9m4tah6hawfg.jpg?size_id=5

pdhhuyuitgcxs85fg.jpg?size_id=5

ckrw7xd74o84z6ffg.jpg?size_id=5

Edited by sirkut

How does it fly?

I'm not sure myself how the hell that happened, since I made the wings like this mostly because if I put them on the normal way they clip through the cargo bay -- but it flies quite well. High maneuverability, ~20km glide after reentry, takes off on a dime, ~1200dV when fueled with no payload, and so far every landing I have attempted seriously succeeded... Mind you, I'm not using FAR, which might be the reason. :)

Hey, wow! I go away for a couple of days and magic happens. :)

That looks really nice, Sirkut! I would love to update the version on Spaceport with your improvements. Based on previous posts, I don't think Legal2k would object.

It looks like the example in the video is scaled a little differently than the sizes in the current release but, as long as the model proportions are the same, variants that don't break current .craft files should be easy to scale.

Hey, wow! I go away for a couple of days and magic happens. :)

That looks really nice, Sirkut! I would love to update the version on Spaceport with your improvements. Based on previous posts, I don't think Legal2k would object.

It looks like the example in the video is scaled a little differently than the sizes in the current release but, as long as the model proportions are the same, variants that don't break current .craft files should be easy to scale.

Thanks for the kind words. It's my first kerbalization and found that Paint.Net made it easy to trace out the hatches. :) I just used one scale in the CFG rather than what was provided just so I can get it working. I'll let you know how it pans out but some people have shown interest in using it in a parts pack and I said sure. Not sure where that will lead but they were getting permission from Legal2k just in case. Once that is ok, I don't see how it wouldn't hurt to put it up to spaceport by itself.

I'll let you know how it pans out but some people have shown interest in using it in a parts pack and I said sure. Not sure where that will lead but they were getting permission from Legal2k just in case. Once that is ok, I don't see how it wouldn't hurt to put it up to spaceport by itself.

My main concern is simply ensuring that the parts remain available and are actively maintained for future compatability. If that's as part of another parts pack, and L2K concurs, that would be fine with me. I would also be happy to keep the Spacejunk Bay available separately on Spaceport, too, but I'm not certain that would be necessary or even desirable (somebody will inevitably end up with duplicate or near-duplicate parts).

If the improved cargo bays do appear in another parts pack, I will update the Spaceport page to reference that mod for future development. I'm undecided on whether or not it would be best to apply those same art changes to the original parts as a final update, though.

Edited by RoboRay

There is talk about crafts breaking apart with this part - are these singularities or a real bug?

Well, I've been debugging the abovementioned horror of a shuttle for days and it has yet to break apart unless I actually smash it into the ground, so -- while I can't with confidence say there's no bug, I've yet to bump into it.

Mind you, it's not impossible that it would break if the doors collide with something while moving -- some animated parts can do that, but if you avoid the doors clipping on other items, it shouldn't happen.

There is talk about crafts breaking apart with this part - are these singularities or a real bug?

I've only ever seen one report here of craft breaking apart, so I'm chalking that up to other problems with the craft design.

There are a couple of comments on Spaceport about it, but they sound like the doors are colliding with something while moving.

Edited by RoboRay

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to not only pose a problem to clip into the doors, but with every part clipping into the bay anywhere.

My plane split in two while trying to close the doors before takeoff - the doors are completely free (visually at least).