You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Big Freaking Flying Pyramid to Duna MARK I to MARK XVI exploded on the pad. Seventeen times is the charm, right?

http://youtu.be/EPInqfEGitk

That was awesome, but if you ask me, you've got no where near enough struts. Have you tried doing the

_

X

-

Patern bettween boosters? And maybe adding a forest between the launch vehicle and the pyramid?

That was awesome, but if you ask me, you've got no where near enough struts. Have you tried doing the

_

X

-

Patern bettween boosters? And maybe adding a forest between the launch vehicle and the pyramid?

Mark XVII has that pattern, my problem is that I´m trying to put just the right ammount of struts, of course I could go crazy and do a strut forest but the freaking thing already has 2.950 parts as it is.

Just the simplest of test runs. Making sure my main drive was capable of the Jool-5 challenge I was about to undertake. We headed to Dres with a couple of teeny rovers to test the drive's stability over long burns.

Landed on Dres and released the rovers, no issues. Jeb and Bob jumped down from the lander and headed over to get into the rover seats. Jeb took the closest one.

bYKjWQ7.jpg

Wanna bet that the seat on the distant rover also points up ?!?!?

Was driving a fuel truck at 10m/s on minmus to my fuel transport shuttle, when i braked a little too hard and the craft dipped forward and ripped itself apart a mere 20m from the shuttle. I think some pieces may have hit the shuttle too, but i couldn't tell.

And i hadn't quicksaved.

But all was not lost! I remembered that when you go to the space center, it reverts you back to the last point where your ship was still. And the bits of the tanker were still moving!

So i went to the space center, switched to the fuel truck, and realized that the shuttle was gone! It just disapperaed. It had been landed still and safe before the crash, but now it just didnt exist. I checked the crew records and Found that both the crew were missing in action.

Swallowed by the kraken...

Edited by quasarrgames
shuttle

?id=245181340

The 3rd try to get the supply depot to my Mun base. This one resulted in the deaths of 4 Kerbals. Will try again tomorrow.

(before people start saying more struts, it has a ridiculous amount of struts already.) This particular build will just spontaneously disassemble randomly. Sometimes it flies, sometimes it explodes

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

And now to present the argument for oversized booster sections:

This rocket had to take a couple of returnable science probes to minmus. Total payload of less than 10t. As you can see it has a stupid amount of delta-V for the job.

7RdEAEo.jpg?1

It has about 7500m/s just to get it to minmus orbit. I'd taken this exact rocket there before and frankly I hadn't even needed the orbital stage. There was sufficient delta-V in the ascent stages to take me there in one go. This was the third run with this exact rocket so I thought I had the technique down.

Launch was fine but then the fail started;

1) At about 15km I screwed up my gravity turn and FAR pulled the whole rocket over backwards into a tumble. After way too long a few bursts of the engines were able to right me but I'd lost a lot of speed.

2) When it came time to drop the boosters the rocket had tilted over so one booster was above and one was below. I'd planned for the boosters to be on the side so they'd clear the rocket but the tumble had turned me a bit and I forgot to rotate back. The top booster clipped the engine and knocked it off so that stage and the 3000m/s of delta-V was unusable.

3) Normally I only need to drop those boosters when I'm 60km+ so the fairings are next to the boosters in the staging list before the orbital stage. In my panic to get the orbital section active I forgot to move the fairings and blew them off while still deep in atmosphere. doh!

The result was:

9VDHInw.jpg?1

It had taken me 6500m/s just to make 100km orbit. I think I have enough to finish the mission but I really screwed that launch.

And the kicker? Immediately before I went to the launchpad I spent half a minute deciding whether to remove the orbital section entirely. That same section that is normally wasted and has now potentially saved the mission.

The orbital stage stays!

The design worked fine with minimal strutting, after I added a fifth rocket in the center.

Or at least it worked until it was time to drop the first stages. Every time I tried to activate the decouplers, the game froze. Apparently the big 3.75 m decoupler is buggy, and you have to be really careful with struts, if you use it.

Apparently the big decouplers had PhysicsSignificance = 1 set, making them rigid and massless. Commenting it out fixed the bug, but created a new problem.

asteroid_tug_fail_4.jpeg

asteroid_tug_fail_5.jpeg

This is like 0.23 again. Even my smaller SLS-based launchers started showing similar problems. Apparently there is still a very real need to use struts to secure interstage joints, if vertical staging is used.

Folks, if you have a lot of reaction wheels on your payload, consider disabling them for the launch. Otherwise this happens when you try to make your gravity turn.

13725733673_a9fa4b3d91_c.jpg

13726092684_75169697e4_c.jpg

Funnily enough, despite the severe bending it held together until I deliberately pushed it to breaking point.

Well, I actually did go to space today.

But once up there I sadly found out that the tug ship I had sent out to capture an E-class asteroid was pathetically underpowered for the task. Since this was a manned craft, I couldn't exactly leave it stranded on an escape trajectory from Kerbin. So I undocked from the asteroid in order to give up and steer it back home.

Good: I had enough fuel left for a deorbiting burn.

Bad: The original plan was to brake the asteroid into an orbit then send another craft to get the Kerbals, so uhh... the tug didn't have parachutes on it.

Good: Well, I could simply aerobrake into a low orbit, and then send the rescue craft as originally planned.

Bad: I overdid the aerobraking a little bit and found myself plummeting down onto the planet. :0.0:

Good: By random luck the ship happened to have a TWR ratio somewhat higher than 1. And just enough fuel left for a powered landing!

Bad: ...It came down above a mountain.

81vnp.png

81vu0.png

I am not sure whether to consider this a success or a failure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.