[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

Ok, I`m close to removing recent version and looking to see what old version still works.. do I have a corrupted install and no one else is experiencing these issues?

every flight I restart explodes on the launch pad due to exceeding gforce and overheating, before physics can load. This happens also, but infrequently when switching to ships via tracking station. Heat shields suffer total and catastrophic failure at 800m/s.

Rcs tanks explode off my ship at 450m/s due to exceeding gforce tolerance, while the meter reads 3gs in free fall with no thrust applied.

The heat resistance of all parts, including heat shields seems to be 1200 degrees.

In a .19.1 version I tested giving a 3 man pod with a 2,5m heatshield a periapsis of 36km from 125km apoapsis, and just let it fall without further input, and as was always the case its heat shield temp rose to 4500 degrees and then dropped, landing safely.

Now I have ships under controlled descent, burning at 32km back up to 40km two and three times in a descent and still all components including double heat shielded pods are destroyed to heat.

I install this of course to make things challenging and difficult.. but this is beyond a joke. Am I really the only one?

Ok, I`m close to removing recent version and looking to see what old version still works.. do I have a corrupted install and no one else is experiencing these issues?

every flight I restart explodes on the launch pad due to exceeding gforce and overheating, before physics can load. This happens also, but infrequently when switching to ships via tracking station. Heat shields suffer total and catastrophic failure at 800m/s.

Rcs tanks explode off my ship at 450m/s due to exceeding gforce tolerance, while the meter reads 3gs in free fall with no thrust applied.

The heat resistance of all parts, including heat shields seems to be 1200 degrees.

In a .19.1 version I tested giving a 3 man pod with a 2,5m heatshield a periapsis of 36km from 125km apoapsis, and just let it fall without further input, and as was always the case its heat shield temp rose to 4500 degrees and then dropped, landing safely.

Now I have ships under controlled descent, burning at 32km back up to 40km two and three times in a descent and still all components including double heat shielded pods are destroyed to heat.

I install this of course to make things challenging and difficult.. but this is beyond a joke. Am I really the only one?

Seems to work fine for me (jump to 29minutes for the reentry):

The reentry fails horribly because I screwed it up by trying to slow down and instead put myself into a crushingly steep reentry. However you can see all the numbers and g-loading work as expected. I use FAR, so I'm not sure if that is the difference.

It sounds like you have an older version somehow? Those problem sound very similar to the ones that existed in version 2.2a or so? But yeah, I would check to see all the plugins that are installed are up to date (and not riding alongside older versions of the same plugins etc.), because that sounds like a borked installation.

Update: I have a fix for the roaring sounds in the VAB; I'm waiting till KSP 0.21 to release it to ensure compatibility. While I'm waiting to release it, I AM paying attention to this thread, and I'm making some cfg file adjustments to ensure that heat shields etc. will work better.

These are pretty crushing issues.. so as no one else is screaming about it in here it is clearly something corrupt in my installation here, and I will start again from blank and see what happens.

I hadn`t used any versions since 1.3 in .19.1, but something in there is causing it, and I will attempt to source it. Thanks for the input

These are pretty crushing issues.. so as no one else is screaming about it in here it is clearly something corrupt in my installation here, and I will start again from blank and see what happens.

I hadn`t used any versions since 1.3 in .19.1, but something in there is causing it, and I will attempt to source it. Thanks for the input

Yes, this sounds like a bad install or an old version. I remember an issue with the pod exploding on load when restarting a flight using an old version of the mod. Didn't experience this issue since I use version 2 I think.

Checking in, is FAR+DR still making capsules have practically no drag on reentry still?

Pretty much best as I can tell.. which is bad because I love them both too much to uninstall either of them

A couple problems with the new version:

* As others have said, the new high g-force sounds are LOUD. Once they start up I can barely hear the engines.

* The texture on the 2.5m heat shield is messed up--it seems to be blown up to the size of the 3.5m shield.

I found some strange incompatibility with Lionhead's Thor lander - it doesn't heat up. At peak heating the temperatures are still negative. Pretty similar to previous reports of 'not heating bug' in this thread. There are no errors in log but I found that in quicksave file there is a module called ModuleAeroReentry which has it's 'isEnabled' value set to false all the time. Also note that this addon has been updated from older KSP version. Model has .dae extension (which AFAIK is an old one since all 0.20 addons I used have .mu extension but I don't know if it works like this) and it uses some part modules which are apparently out of date (e.g. stock parachutes have 'module' set to 'Part' and there is a subsection MODULE with name=ModuleParachute, while in this addon 'module' is set to 'Parachutes' and parachute parameters are put directly into part section (and they're a bit different than for 'ModuleParachute')). All other parts get heat from reentry.

Could someone else who uses both mods confirm this and if he found a solution post it here, please? How does the presence of old modules and model formats affekt functionality of this mod? I'm curious to find out what's causing it but my trials to fix it myself failed.

EDIT: On my install g-force effects aren't loud. This may be somehow related to part count (I use low-partcount ships). Maybe setting the effects to play only on root part (but when any of parts is under stress) would fix it?

Edited by m4ti140

I'm facing and issue. I can't enter with the blunt side facing the atmosphere. Whenever I try to place it properly, the ship turns incontrolably and the top part faces the atmosphere. The parachute catches fire and explodes, but I can enter the atmosphere this way and nothing happens. It doesn't even overheat.

I'm facing and issue. I can't enter with the blunt side facing the atmosphere. Whenever I try to place it properly, the ship turns incontrolably and the top part faces the atmosphere. The parachute catches fire and explodes, but I can enter the atmosphere this way and nothing happens. It doesn't even overheat.

Try pressing caps to switch to fine control. Also, reentry from low kerbal orbit isn't that deadly since the velocities are so low. It becomes a lot more deadly for munar or interplanetary reentry.

Try pressing caps to switch to fine control. Also, reentry from low kerbal orbit isn't that deadly since the velocities are so low. It becomes a lot more deadly for munar or interplanetary reentry.

I enter at about 2 km/s, but at a shallow angle. The parachute explodes, but I can nose in the entry with a fuel tank and engine behind me and nothing happens. If I enter with only the command module's bluent side facing the atmosphere with the ablative shield installed, the module expodes. Considering the "nose" of the module is not shielded, there's something wrong here.

I've started having all sorts of strange issues after using some of the B9 parts and I think I've traced it to some interaction between deadly reentry and B9 or one of the plugins it comes with (i'd been using the same set of mods for some time and hadn't updated, the only change was which parts I used).

List of oddities:

Gui gets corrupted and I have no staging/kerbal portraits. If someone gets out the pod refills, space does nothing, the engines can be started manually but throttle doesn't work until I open a menu of some kind (ie. hit f3 for the log). This persists even after removing all mods and only a fresh install fixes it; gamedata and save folders can then be transferred and it will work again for a time, even with the same craft that caused the problem (makes it incredibly hard to figure out which combination of mods).

I get deadly reentry noises and flameout effects in the SPH and VAB. The noises seem to occur any time one of the B9 parts would play their animation. This is the closest I can get to useful debugging info, I couldn't see anything in the logs.

Sometimes parts of my planes or rockets stop mid-flight and the rest continues without breaking. I then have 2km long struts.

The SPH/VAB interface breaks completely and I can't put things down or click on anything.

Crashes without crash logs

Anyone know of anything similar?

I get deadly reentry noises and flameout effects in the SPH and VAB. The noises seem to occur any time one of the B9 parts would play their animation. This is the closest I can get to useful debugging info, I couldn't see anything in the logs.

I confirm that.

I confirm that.

Please read the forum before posting. As you can see here:

Update: I have a fix for the roaring sounds in the VAB; I'm waiting till KSP 0.21 to release it to ensure compatibility. While I'm waiting to release it, I AM paying attention to this thread, and I'm making some cfg file adjustments to ensure that heat shields etc. will work better.

ialdabaoth already has the problem fixed and is just waiting to release the update.

Checking in, is FAR+DR still making capsules have practically no drag on reentry still?
Pretty much best as I can tell.. which is bad because I love them both too much to uninstall either of them

Seems to work just fine for me (with the 1.25m capsules). You get progressively greater acceleration as you get deeper into the atmosphere (each change of the colour bar results in stronger deceleration). I had read the issue was that some of the parts included the wrong node scaling, so FAR couldn't calculate the size. But that should have been fixed now in v2.3 (except for the 6.25m inflatable, that will act weird).

Seems to work just fine for me (with the 1.25m capsules). You get progressively greater acceleration as you get deeper into the atmosphere (each change of the colour bar results in stronger deceleration). I had read the issue was that some of the parts included the wrong node scaling, so FAR couldn't calculate the size. But that should have been fixed now in v2.3 (except for the 6.25m inflatable, that will act weird).

Yeah, without a properly sized heat shield, deceleration happens normally for me on the kerbal X mk 1-2 pod. With the heat shield I'm still going over 2km/s around 20km altitude.

Yeah, without a properly sized heat shield, deceleration happens normally for me on the kerbal X mk 1-2 pod. With the heat shield I'm still going over 2km/s around 20km altitude.

Your vehicle may be too heavy. Deceleration due to drag is inversely proportional to mass. I designed my Mk 1-2 pod vehicles to have a reentry mass of about 5 tons, of which nearly a ton burns off from ablation, so by the time it gets through the hot zone it's down to 4 tons of less (depending on consumables).

I had an idea for a future release which is adding easy and hard difficulty modes. With easy mode the stock heat tolerance's are used and the parts can endure up to 15 G's of force, while hard mode would pretty much have this mod behave like the old DR mod did for those out there that insist that everything must have heatshields or die. The Default Normal mode will of coarse be what we have now, but by adding those 2 modes it would appease both the carebears casual players and masochists who loved how unrealistically hard the old Deadly Reentry mod was.

How would your "easy mode" differ from the game without DR installed? Isn't "hard mode" just "install DR," and "easy mode" just "don't install DR"?

Because it's easy to get reentry G loads in excess of 15 G's and I'm sure that I can do interplanetary aero captures that exceed stock temperature tolerances, so there will be that chance of failure that stock does not have. In addition you have to remember that this mod also changes the reentry/mach effect itself by making it dependent on temperature instead of altitude.