SM Aeronautics Release Thread

SasquatchM

To be honest I have no idea. I have been unable to recreate this bug myself. I am wondering if it is actually a math error somewhere as there are only 10 "units" of thorium in the engine.

Yeah, the fuel disappears in an instant. It really sucks because I like using your engine for my interplanetary voyages, but using it in 0.20 is so annoying. I still have the old version of the FFR before the xenon injector. I'll test it and see how it goes.

One thing I'm still not getting.

The FFR uses all it's fuel in two burns at full speed while in vaccum. I'm not sure how to make it last more than that.

Also, with some clever enginering, a space plane with two PDE engines can produce enough thrust to escape Kerbin's SOI. I tested yesterday and acheived a maximum speed of more than 4000 m/s.

Edited by MR4Y

And here's the offender thingy. The Point Blank:

RlBqH9f.png

Orbiting...

pk2jJDj.png

...I mean, leaving Kerbin's SOI:

sibbWYF.png

A little more thrust and we can leave Kerbol's SOI as well:

aVzioke.png

Reentering. Yes, the plane has enough fuel, air and thrust to return from that escape trajectory:

RMRgIwJ.png

And disaster, cause I tried to land the plane going backwards:

uxQcNW8.png

The results:

yvvcHHi.png

One thing I'm still not getting.

The FFR uses all it's fuel in two burns at full speed while in vaccum. I'm not sure how to make it last more than that.

Also, with some clever enginering, a space plane with two PDE engines can produce enough thrust to escape Kerbin's SOI. I tested yesterday and acheived a maximum speed of more than 4000 m/s.

The rear-mount PDEs I made more or less for that purpose. I thought they would be fun to use for silliness like space-superiority fighters and whatnot. The radial mounts are a bit more balanced

The rear-mount PDEs I made more or less for that purpose. I thought they would be fun to use for silliness like space-superiority fighters and whatnot. The radial mounts are a bit more balanced

I belive this could be used as a true space plane with a few more tweaks and more air. One extra compressed air tank and the ability to disable fuel crossfeed with action groups might make it able to go to moons and perhaps planets.

Can you tone down the heat production in the next release of the PDE's? I don't want them exploding during a high speed run.

I don't think you even need to use them at 100% throttle. I can easily go past 4 Km/s with just two.

I just had the FFR bug, too. Maybe make thorium weigh 1/1000 of what it does now, and make it contain 1000 times as much thorium? And also make thorium only make a one thousandth of the FFRAccelerant that it does now.

EDIT: I made this really nice ISA MapSat probe for mapping the Mün, powered by an FFR, but I had to give up. Thrice in a row, the FFR had the bug before completing the LKO→Mün transfer.

Edited by wasmic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.