Show off your Kethane Mining Designs!!

Kethane mobile drill / storage. Can drill for kethane using the front part and then at its rear another section for more storage. Docking ports allows the addition of more storage sections at the end so in theory you can have lots of sections. Each rear section has its own unmanned control module and power supply so once its arrived near the main part of the vehicle it can drive and connect.

It has landing struts to flip it over if it should ever happen.

It also has Kerbal Attachment System on the rear section for fuel transfer if needing to transfer to another storage unit.

Hope you like!!!11!

XMD6aYlh.jpg

WIgtgdWh.jpg

sEAtetGh.jpg

This is my Muner Drilling Rig. Made using KAS, Infernal Robotics, Kethane, portable launch site (hum...that is wrong), and Spherical Tanks.

yewTyOs.jpg

eedLgwc.jpg

This rig is simple and to the point with a good amount of fuel for landing. A drive section was used, but was discarded.

Here's a new addition to my CMP series, the CMP4. Using the same mining platform as the CMP3, the CMP4 has expanded fuel capacity that also has KAS grappling hooks/electromagnets. Basically, the end result is a long range mining platform that doubles as a SAR vessel when needed.

VP4qYYl.png

KEBn9sq.png

Zx3AZys.jpg

Edited by firegeek83

My new Miner in KSP version .21.1.2 Orbiting Kerbin ready to go to Mun or Mimnus for testing.

AGsWUkQ.png

BJQ

The new miner tests out just fine :-) Added 2 spherical tanks to the side of the main fuel tank - this works out well. :-)

Am6ehhQ.jpg

I can process much more fuel/Oxygon/RCS gas etc. BJQ

Edited by BJ Quest
Upgrade

Hi! Very nice designs you all created. These are two of my ideas you can use when building rigs with Caterpillar tracks mod. The first one, with MarkV tracks, VTOL, suprisingly easy to fly and land. But I'm not using it, because it is too heavy and has too many parts (70) for just a mining drill with kethane storage, but I'm playing on old laptot, so someone with good desktop can probably use this along with big Mun bases and refineries without much trouble. The second one on the other hand, is just an experiment, to figure out if it's possible to recreate small mining drills used on construction sites. The heavy drill is too big for it, but with some .cfg editing, one could scale it to look much more accurate, add some kethane trailer behind it, with solar panels or RTGs and it might look very nice.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A couple of mine:

Prototype Mun Fuel Terminal:

at7ie.jpg

Here you see the base's crawler transporters moving around a landed Mun shuttle

119rl6w.jpg

Mun shuttle refuelling

t0ivmc.jpg

The fuel terminal's refinery has a docking port designed for compatible tanker rovers to dock with it in order to bring in the crude kethane from well heads in the surrounding gas fields. With that success I've decided to expand operation. In order to keep number of parts reasonable the new refinery will be built a few kilometre away from my main Mun base which will have two launch complexes to handle ships on the surface. The refinery itself will no longer handle ships, instead it just converts kethane into refined products to be trucked over to the main base via product tankers:

Kethane refinery prototype, note the crude tanker and product tanker

2vvsuj5.jpg

Mun base prototype

screenshot142.jpg

screenshot144.jpg

screenshot147.jpg

My standard mining tower. Self-propelled, and if it's empty, orbital. All my current base parts tend to be space-capable to a degree, although no bases on high-G planets yet.

9660939950_1dcaeb96c4_c.jpg

9456207591_32ef2b08a9_c.jpg

That's Minmus, so that shuttle returns full to Kerbin orbit - hence the fins to stop it tumbling during aerocapture ( I run FAR, it matters ). I've learned the hard way about including converters everywhere, so I do... also means I can plug it into a hub with some panels & make a refuelling depot.

9657736441_90b0005bb5_c.jpg

Or use it as a tanker & refill a station refinery:

9430742342_996b91cd8a_c.jpg

A gratutitous shot of an Extraplanetary Launchpads ore mine. Ore is damn heavy.

9657761913_01e1c5f43a_c.jpg

Edited by Van Disaster

BahamutoD, that's a awesome looking ship. The folding wings sell me on it, though.

Mind sharing the craft file so I can check out the wings/try it out?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103148235/Beetle.craft

Here u go. (I think this is up to date)

The required mods should be kethane, kw rocketry, procedural fairings, procedural wings, procedural tanks, b9, mechjeb, spherical tanks, infernal robotics.

Obviously not optimized for sharing haha, sorry about that.

Edit:

before using the robotics, the servo groups tell you what to set the speed of each group to. 1-6 control the different parts, 0 returns everything to the closed position, 9 switches between aerospikes and nuclear.

Edited by BahamutoD

I only have to get KW, honestly. Wait, no, add Procedural Tanks and Spherical Tanks to that list. I don't recall a procedural tanks mod being released, unless you mean Stretchy Tanks, in which case scratch that from the list of mods I need. Besides, Spherical Tanks is normally in my LO and KW isn't as bad anymore IIRC. I still might have to ditch a lot of farings from it, but we'll see.

Seriously, looks fun and I'll be learning quickly. Hopefully quickly enough to show off my own design. I plan on making a SSTO with interplanetary capability. Might end up using Warp Drives to test them out, but we'll see.

EDIT: Oh, right, does she use FAR? I recently downloaded it in anticipation of removing Mission Controller from my setup again.

Edited by YX33A

• 4 weeks later...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103148235/Beetle.craft

Here u go. (I think this is up to date)

The required mods should be kethane, kw rocketry, procedural fairings, procedural wings, procedural tanks, b9, mechjeb, spherical tanks, infernal robotics.

Obviously not optimized for sharing haha, sorry about that.

Edit:

before using the robotics, the servo groups tell you what to set the speed of each group to. 1-6 control the different parts, 0 returns everything to the closed position, 9 switches between aerospikes and nuclear.

I think you were using some older version or something, my game just crashes when I try to load it.

Could you briefly explain how you attached the fairings?

Here's my long term successor to the CMP series that is designed to be a one way mining platform. Can be placed in low grav or atmosphere bodies. Provides 3-way connection to fuel transfer vehicles for rapid refueling ops with ground shuttles.

wD8Cosu.png

bQOb5BG.png

7qbJiYg.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.