List of "essential" mods.

Hi everybody, I'm quite new to the mod part of KSP.

Which mods is your favorite and which do you think is "essential".

Currently using,

Spacejunk cargo bays.

Laser docking cam.

Quantum struts.

Ferrams aero dynamics research.

Kebal engineer.

H.O.M.E

I think any mod which shows your the basic information like dV, TWR and weight is kinda essential.

MechJeb is good if you either arent as good as you should be for a project (i would never have managed to land everything at the same spot for my Munbase that quick) or do to similar jobs over and over again (ComSat etc).

Everything else is imho more about additional content, if you look for more parts, better looking parts or ressource system. Or like MapSat to give the probes some "job" while orbiting and observing planets/Moons.

Some mods that I'd suggest adding to your list that greatly improve game play:

Editor Tools makes the VAB larger and adds functionality.

Subassembly Saver/Loader allows you to save groups of parts as a subassembly to be recalled later, greatly streamlining the design process.

Maneuver Node Improvement allows exact editing of maneuver node details and eases cycling through and recall of maneuver nodes.

Haystack is very helpful in managing more advanced space programs, allow you to either target or switch to other active craft without having to click on the map.

Actions on the Fly allows you to change action groups even after a craft is launched.

Edited by transcendentape

I would mention the Kerbal Alarm Clock as essential. Just installed it recently and can't imagine how I could live without it. When you want to start longrange missions it is really useful to keep track of launch windows and remind you when events require your attention. It enables you to fly several missions at once by jumping back and forth between ships. It gives a better impression of the time required to fly to Jool or Eeloo, for example, instead of just timewarping from start to finish.

I've used many mods in the past, but right now I'm playing stock, with a few barebones mods: I have the Kerbal Engineer, really useful for calculating delta-v, the Kerbal Alarm Clock, which is invaluable for letting me know when it comes time to make an interplanetary burn, and also the Crew Manifest mod, which allows for easy swapping out of crew between vessels and for choosing which bunch of kerbals you want to take on your mission today.

These are all small, unobtrusive mods which simply add a few features to the game which I deem essential for my missions.

There is exactly one Mod that is essential for my gameplay (and will installed in every new version of KSP) ... and that is KSP Engineer Redux.

No other mod gets installed into every single one of my spaceships ... and while I am far from averse to try out/install new mods the other mods are just nice to haves for me

(and I will always do my first steps in a new major version (with a new save) with Kerbal Engineer Redux as only mod being installed)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.