[20.2] KW Rocketry 2.4

Winston

I aaaaaa ..

okay .. with KW 2.4 will we have to rebuild anything that used pre-2.4 KW parts? I'm assuming yes.

You shouldn't need to rebuild anything. I don't think any parts were removed between this and the previous version, were they?

EDIT: As it turns out, they DID drop a few parts. I just didn't happen to have them on any of my craft...

Edited by Gaius

@Winston Could you consolidate some of the parts that use the same model and texture to the same folder to save space, e.g. the RCS tanks? This works fine in my local copy. Just rename the part.cfg files (e.g. 1_25m.cfg, 2_5m.cfg, 3_75m.cfg) and put them in the same directory. Also will we ever get some 5m tanks? I'm currently using upscaled 3.75m tanks. They work great with NovaPunch adapters.

BTW, thanks for the great collection of parts.

Thank you, Winston. KW Rocketry is the cornerstone of most of my designs with its large 2-meter tanks and the 3-meter part sets, so I was waiting for the pack to work before doing much with 0.20.

I seem to remember that automatic engine shrouds were planned and modelled, but there were issues holding them back? Several other mods have now got shrouds working properly, so I'm sure there'll be many modders willing to help you fix any problems if you ever consider adding them again.

I would love to see half-height fairing walls at some point, as the stock ones are pretty tall. End up taking up a lot of extra space sometimes. Though that would mean even more node connectors for the nosecones.

Edited by Castun

I installed KW Rocketry 2.4 in KSP 0.20.2. When I try to open Rigel 2 Heavy With CSM, I get an error saying a part named "KWsrbCone" is missing. I assume it was included with older versions but left out somehow in this version. Is there a way to get that part?

Noticed the same thing when a few of my ships didn't load. I had deleted my previous KWRocketry parts before installing 2.4. When I opened KSP the first couple of ships I lost were due to missing the Medium and Heavy Struts. Among other missing items were the RCS pods, Stack Decouplers, and 3x2 & 2x1 Adaptors. I found the files folders for those parts in my recycling bin and just restored them into my KWRocketry folder and I was finally able to load up my ships. Hope this helps.

I installed KW Rocketry 2.4 in KSP 0.20.2. When I try to open Rigel 2 Heavy With CSM, I get an error saying a part named "KWsrbCone" is missing. I assume it was included with older versions but left out somehow in this version. Is there a way to get that part?

I removed that part from the pack since there are 1, 2 and 3m cones in the pack anyway, and I assumed that 99% of people's missions probably wouldn't include it since it's for SRBs which would all be at the bottom of the ocean somewhere. I guess I forgot that one or two of those rockets probably used them, sorry about that.

Noticed the same thing when a few of my ships didn't load. I had deleted my previous KWRocketry parts before installing 2.4. When I opened KSP the first couple of ships I lost were due to missing the Medium and Heavy Struts. Among other missing items were the RCS pods, Stack Decouplers, and 3x2 & 2x1 Adaptors. I found the files folders for those parts in my recycling bin and just restored them into my KWRocketry folder and I was finally able to load up my ships. Hope this helps.

This is the first version of KW Rocketry I've used, so unfortunately I don't have an older version to restore parts from. I also can't seem to find a download link to an older version anywhere.

I removed that part from the pack since there are 1, 2 and 3m cones in the pack anyway, and I assumed that 99% of people's missions probably wouldn't include it since it's for SRBs which would all be at the bottom of the ocean somewhere. I guess I forgot that one or two of those rockets probably used them, sorry about that.

Is there any way to salvage that specific ship without tracking down the missing parts? Maybe I could find and replace the KWsrbCone entries in the .craft file with one of the nose cones you're referring to? Which diameter (1, 2, or 3 m) was the KWsrbCone part?

EDIT: I found a download of a version that includes the parts I'm missing. Here it is in case someone has the same issue: http://www.modsaholic.com/forums/index.php/files/file/177-kw-rocketry/

Edited by wilywampa

already been said that this is being worked on, the update was just to get it working post 0.20 in the mean time

Sorry, but I don't / didn't see anywhere where he's talking about reoptimizing it to shrink the pack down to sane filesizes (if B9 can get all its high-quality parts in under 100 megs, this pack should be little more than 40 megs altogether).

I've been going back and forth with the idea of removing the mod altogether until the RAM consumption gets addressed. :( A lot of people do complain about getting crashes when using it, and it's almost certainly because this pack has such huge overhead.

@Winston Could you consolidate some of the parts that use the same model and texture to the same folder to save space, e.g. the RCS tanks? This works fine in my local copy. Just rename the part.cfg files (e.g. 1_25m.cfg, 2_5m.cfg, 3_75m.cfg) and put them in the same directory. Also will we ever get some 5m tanks? I'm currently using upscaled 3.75m tanks. They work great with NovaPunch adapters.

BTW, thanks for the great collection of parts.

Second the space saving measure. KSP has precious little RAM to work with, given it has to load all it's parts at launch. B9 managed to get their foot print way down, while adding more parts using this method.

Heya

Playin with KW last night, I added a smaller rocket assembly to a large tank assembly of my 2nd stage.

When I tried to add the interstage shroud, attached to the coupler bit, it turned out the interstage shroud was considerably too long.

I ended up switching the small rocket (2.5m?) to the large rocket (3m?) and that worked, but sometimes I DO want a small rocket attached to a large tank. There seems to be no decent way to adapt this .. unless I'm totally missing something.

Thanks!

I was thinking about cloning some of the 3M parts myself and increasing the scale to be 5M. The new features of 0.20 makes this somewhat easier. You no longer have to clone the entire part subdirectory, rather you can copy the part.cfg, rename it to something unique, and change the name, id, and rescale factor inside the new config file. This way, it uses the same texture without having to load it twice (which is what happened with the old method.) This is what B9 did with a lot of their parts that make use of the same textures, and why it saved a lot on memory this time around.

Winston: I had a thought today - now 0.20.x allows you to use 1 model and 1 set optimised textures then scale to multiple sizes using different .cfg files, would it be feasible to consolidate the pack into one set of tanks scaled to 1.25/2.5/3.75m size and maybe even add 5m? Say also scale up the Titan and Gryphon engines to 5M as well? You could even have a 5m inline fairing set :)

Khaos: Apologies I did read but didn't think what I had said was mentioned, loads of people were yelling optimize but no-one suggested how :\ Just pinging an idea out there.

Winston: As you were, then :)

Fairings are broken.

Tried both sizes, expanded and non. The meshes don't line up so there's both a large gap between the fairing halves and after you put the nose fairing on, only the first additional section will line up vertically if you flip it around. Subsequent section's mesh's will collide.

if Winston sees my particular post, try talking bac9. The way he was able to reduce the size of the pack to 73 MB while including 174(or is it 175?) parts is amazing. Not forgetting the fact that B9 loads faster than stock.