SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

SSTO Type 25 Ghost Mk3

I finally made this aircraft work!

xD

Yay no more tumbling on re-entry~

It needs a little bit more tweaking before I can share it... although I must say this is one of the easiest to fly SSTO aircraft I have created.

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubaqcxLHQ1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mubavjLMvg1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t
Spelling

My favorite of the thread, may try and copy the design and see if I can get it to work in FAR. Looks like a Viper from Battlestar Galactica.

She's all yours! Glad you like it. Please let me know of any improvements you make if you do decide to reproduce it.

Good luck!

Edited by Rezolution

SSTO Type 25 Ghost Mk3

I finally made this aircraft work!

xD

Yay no more tumbling on re-entry~

It needs a little bit more tweaking before I can share it... although I must say this is one of the easiest to fly SSTO aircraft I have created.

<MEGASNIP>

May we have the .craft for some dissection? I'm dying to see how a KissSh0t SSTO flies.

She's all yours! Glad you like it. Please let me know of any improvements you make if you do decide to reproduce it.

Good luck!

xqre.jpg

fk68.jpg

Still working the bugs out of it, but this was the only version that I made that flew. Didn't make orbit but managed a respectable 30km alt. Going back to the drawing board on it tomorrow or at a later date.

Hello all. I've been playing Kerbal for a bit now, but haven't been much of a forum participant. This I would like to change. To that end, below is one of my SSTO designs, Thunderfire, that I would like to share with the community. It uses vertical thrust for lift, has a jet-engine service ceiling of around 22,000 meters, and is capable of achieving a mid-range orbit around Kerbin.

Here it is in orbit:

ry%3D480

Overall, the design is not nearly as impressive as what I've seen much of you produce. It can't make it out of orbit without a refuel, but at least once it is fueled up, can make it to the Mun or Minmus. Additionally, the ship is very stable in the vertical configuration, but once you begin pitching the ship over in atmo, it does require some attention to keep it centered on heading. This is largely due to the three tail fin layout, but I really wanted to keep the aesthetic (even though in doing so I sacrifice some stability).

Thanks for the look! Good luck out there!

fk68.jpg

Still working the bugs out of it, but this was the only version that I made that flew. Didn't make orbit but managed a respectable 30km alt. Going back to the drawing board on it tomorrow or at a later date.

I've been up all night designing a fracking Viper because of you guys...Thanks alot :P I just finished making a non-battlestar related Viper, and now I;m making another craft called a Viper. I'm stuck in a loop!

I'll see if I can wrap it up here before I go to bed. It flies and everything, just gotta fine-tune it!

EDIT: Here's a teaser :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Cruzan

SSTO Type 25 Ghost Mk3 - Craft File >> http://www./?9jimo9yprledxlv

Yay~ I finally did it.. I landed an SSTO aircraft on another planet without killing the Kerbal or damaging the aircraft!! I landed on Minmus.

Although due to my impatience I didn’t refuel in orbit “I don’t have a re-fuel satellite yetâ€Â.. and in turn run out of fuel before I had completed the deceleration of Minmus.

I have used Infinite fuel to do just the deceleration and landing on Minmus.. although if I had refueled I would have been able to do that legitimately and return to Kerbin under it’s own power.

Flight instructions.. mmm.

On takeoff get to about 80m/s then turn on the vertical jump jets to bump yourself off the ground, then turn them off as soon as you are airborne… I forget the action group for these.. just check in the action groups section to see what I have set them as before taking off.

Fly to 20km then level out, turn off the normal get engines with action group (2), then go for speed until 30km, then shut down the two outer jet engines with action group (3) then continue to as close to 40km as you can and use the nuclear or the side rocket engines to get you into orbit… I forget the action keys for each.

: >

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_muchs9dnBh1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with this aircraft so I think I'll do a Mk4 version and try improving upon it.

xqre.jpg

fk68.jpg

Wow, that was a quick turn around. Looks good. I really like the idea of the horizontal lift-off component. I had originally wanted to implement that into my own design, but I went the lazy approach just to get the ship finished a little faster. Very nice.

With those parts it reminds me of a cross between the Viper and Lambda Class Shuttle from Star Wars (another one my favorite vessels).

Wow, that was a quick turn around. Looks good. I really like the idea of the horizontal lift-off component. I had originally wanted to implement that into my own design, but I went the lazy approach just to get the ship finished a little faster. Very nice.

With those parts it reminds me of a cross between the Viper and Lambda Class Shuttle from Star Wars (another one my favorite vessels).

The funny thing is the Lambda Class Shuttle would be easier to get to fly in atmosphere with FAR.

I have finished developing the Ion, currently the smallest all-stock cockpit-based VTOL SSTO ever designed in KSP by anyone (thanks Karmacoma for the inspiration as this is a heavily modified Midge variant), and is capable of undocking from 120km, landing on Kerbin, and returning, without refueling. As such, it is called a "Shuttlecraft" in the true sense of Trek lore. Can we say, "practical?" :) 52 parts.

bvEi0PH.png

This craft is currently listed in the SSI Development Catalog, but it's undergoing its trials and will be certified soon:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/41898-Shuttlecraft-Systems-Inc-%28SSI%29-NOW-HIRING!

If you want the craft file, send your requisition requests via PM and tell me how you plan to use it. Else I'll be posting a main thread soon.

Can anyone design anything with a smaller footprint or with less parts that can perform the same or better? If so, Shuttlecraft Systems Inc. is looking for you!

Edited by inigma

These first two are still in flight trials...

The Arrow X32 VTOL SSTO:

mintHd7.jpg

IfwAfid.png

The Guppy SSTO Shuttle, capable of putting four kerbals into LKO with plenty of left over fuel.

4rlDla2.jpg

And the Arrow 2, a beautifully controllable 32 part VTOL low level plane that shouldn't really be here, but I'm just really pleased with it

tHhoyTm.jpg

I wave a stick on all your aircraft, and present you with this:

screenshot322.png

screenshot490.png

It's a SSTO lander/rocket. Launched from Kerbin, it can juuuuust about make it to low orbit. (Hey, no one said anything about "SSTO & Return to surface" :P )

However, it's true power, is that, it is a Tylo SSTO. Specifically a 70km -> surface, surface -> 70km, SSTO lander.

Edited by Vaebn

Fellow, submit that beauty to SSI.

Thanks.

Had a quick read and apparently they need me to be able to get it from here (see below), down and back up again. I've been ironing out reliability kinks but I really have no idea if the damn thing can actually do it.

Oh, and I propbably need some ladders or something at one point.

DX8mTVF.png

So I made it to Minimus with the SVO-3, ran out of Monoprop fuel on landing.. that was fun. But was able to refill every tank on the ship with its massive 32k kethane mining and refining ability.

l9t6.jpg