SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

New Type of craft for me with this 1

Comes with elevated platform for loading cargo and kerbal's.

I have so far had 5 runs to orbit all smooth flying with extra left over for docking and as of the latest changes it can glide for ages up to as slow as 25m/s.

Easy water landings and take-off thanks to long legs and floatation parts,it even sits flat in the water enabling it to be used as a 90m/s boat :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

@BraniacBlue: Kraken's Bane - That thing is hideously gorgeous.

Been playing with my new plane, Fat Boy. So far it will lift 41-42t to LKO. In theory, if it fits in the bay it can get it to orbit. Very very airhoggy, and the wings can support a MTOW in the region of 100t. Suffers from spin of death if the fuel isn't balanced for reentry to KSC.

IsCSQeV.png?1

Gentlemen, feast your eyes upon the Black Talon.

BlackTalon_zpsuoiaepzl.png

This glorious bird is capable of achieving speeds upwards of 1,000 meters per second, or around Mach 3 (making it faster than the SR-71 Blackbird) in a 90° vertical climb. I replaced the Mk.1 cockpit on a Ravenspear with an advanced cockpit from BDArmory (I'd been planning to make it a fighter jet), and gave it intakes and engines from RetroFuture. It can exit Kerbin's atmosphere (wasn't able to make it into low orbit, but I did get past 100,000 meters.) just on its jet engines. Not the most original design, but I'm still proud of it.

Gentlemen, feast your eyes upon the Black Talon.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/_Dampe/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/BlackTalon_zpsuoiaepzl.png

This glorious bird is capable of achieving speeds upwards of 1,000 meters per second, or around Mach 3 (making it faster than the SR-71 Blackbird) in a 90° vertical climb. I replaced the Mk.1 cockpit on a Ravenspear with an advanced cockpit from BDArmory (I'd been planning to make it a fighter jet), and gave it intakes and engines from RetroFuture. It can exit Kerbin's atmosphere (wasn't able to make it into low orbit, but I did get past 100,000 meters.) just on its jet engines. Not the most original design, but I'm still proud of it.

The cockpit is from RetroFuture, not BDArmory.

This guy just wants to do it all. In style.

YZ3uHS4.png

DZGyLow.png

That Big Red is only half full (payload 20mT), but then again, this is the engineering test article to test hings like fuel flow (worked really smooth, it drains from both tanks equally and I rode it into 50 kN on the jets without flameout issues). It has nowhere near enough intakes, most of the wrong kind, so it switched to rocket power at 20kms and only 1,100m/s. With my usual ratio and tweaked fuel levels, I'm predicting scary performance.

Rune. Will keep it low density payload intentionally, though, it'll just have excess delta-v to reach high orbits.

Fairly new to the KSP forums, and new to SSTO development. That said, I'm fairly proud of the crude SSTO program I worked through, stock, in career mode.

Program goal:

Create a SSTO vehicle which can do supply runs to my LKO space station. Need to be able to swap out Kerbalnaughts to help rookies gain some XP from doing science in LKO. Needs to have high cost efficiency.

Requirements.

- SSTO vehicle capable of 120km LKO and return.

- 4 Kerbalnaught capacity.

- Return cost of less than 25,000 Kerbal credits.

I plan to use it for Munar, Minimus and eventual interplanetary missions in future.

People of the internet, here is the Albatross I (Variant A shown, my current variant has more solar panels on winglets, upgraded air intakes, L45 LFE)

qazmQbh.jpg

Docked at the science station.

5Lhnwt1.jpg

LKO

DbZV7Ry.jpg

With FAR you dont need as many intakes.

Really.... But I like the look of the "semi-circle of intakes" around the fuselage.

But yes I do now that jet engines become almost useless at 30k plus altitude in FAR and that "spamming intakes" is no longer a necessary evil :)

Even So without knowing exactly what SQuad has instore I'll leave the extra intakes incase there still useful in V 1.0

Really.... But I like the look of the "semi-circle of intakes" around the fuselage.

But yes I do now that jet engines become almost useless at 30k plus altitude in FAR and that "spamming intakes" is no longer a necessary evil :)

Even So without knowing exactly what SQuad has instore I'll leave the extra intakes incase there still useful in V 1.0

Also note that in 1.0 thrust, and thus air and fuel consumption, will be proportional to atmospheric density. This means that you almost certainly won't need many intakes to power a single engine. It also means that flight paths that work well for SSTOs now (for instance, climbing to high altitudes subsonically and then leveling off to gain speed) won't work well.

CK-420. Climbs to orbit with 1700 m/s remaining. Still a WIP, I have no idea how much cargo it can carry, and the wings fell off after re-entry when I tried to level off at Mach 2.

(Name has nothing to do with weed culture, during ascent the Turboramjets must be kept at 420 kN max or they will overheat and explode :P)

ufjU7AE.png

I like your designs there, but I have a couple of questions.

Do you use FAR or NEAR? Because those look like they would work pretty well in either of those.

Also why didnt you use the cockpit with those designs instead of the probe core?

And I may "borrow" and modify one of your smaller designs for something to fit inside of one of my larger SSTOs for a lander craft.

The second one looks indeed cool as boop. How did you work around the engines below the centerline? The are angled upwards, or is there something I'm missing, like lots of fuel tanks under there?

Rune. I might do something similar and see how it turns out.

I angled the engines up slightly, though that didn't eliminate the problems completely. It handles just fine with SAS though.

- - - Updated - - -

I built these in my almost stock install, where my only part mod is adjustable landing gear. It does not have either FAR or NEAR but I like building things that look like they could fly in reality.

I didn't use any of the cockpits because i don't think that any of them would fit what I was trying to fly. The probe core also gives them a pretty decent reaction wheel, as well as allows them to fly without any crew aboard.

Yes you may, though I suspect that you already have :P

Well, my crafts are a bit boring, compared to what I'm seeing here. But anyway, this is Lucy:

EBqvrDJh.jpg

Takes 6 Kerbals to LKO with some fuel left (very little). I used it to take my Kerbals to my Space Station. It's not easy to get into orbit, no room for errors.

And here is my little satellite carrier:

ZSN7cQ5h.jpg

Takes two sats into LKO. I'm using it for the "place a sat in orbit" contracts.

I'm really curious if they will still work in 1.0. But I like challanges. And space planes. :)