SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Both ships are refuel tankers and kerbal transports. Both are completely STOCK parts except that I used mechjeb to show the delta v and use TacFuel Balancer because it's convenient (and I like it). Also, both can fly UNmanned.

They have enough delta v to get to most planets and refuel their respective tankers. So how I've set this up is that I have tankers orbiting all of my planets, each with a specifically designed lander to get to and from the planet. I transport kerbals via these SSTO's from kerbin to tankers orbiting the planets, transfer fuel and crew to the orbital tanker/lander station, then refuel the lander and land on the planet.

There ships DON'T have to refuel above Kerbin, they make orbit with pretty much all of their fuel required to do transfer maneuvers.

Starship Won Mark II

0pDzSq3.jpg

41E6x9q.jpg

0yaKlMP.jpg

lIWLENN.jpg

XRcr5Q9.jpg

Starship Won Mark IIi

FnbA5Zyh.jpg

OkMgCQbh.jpg

Both make apoapsis of 100+ km and Periapsis of 30+km on jet engines alone.

Mark II Seats 6 Kerbals (or more)

Mark II i Seats 5 Kerbals.

All other information is available via the posted pictures.

I don't like air hogging because it's unrealistic, so I am coming up with more plausible designs using the bottled air mod to get my craft into orbit, and even maneuver in space with jet engines.

Edited by TeeGee

Here is my contribution to the thread : 7 kerbals SSTO, 43.537kg (wet mass), 169 parts and is able to reach an orbit of ~120 000 km.

It's the latest model of a long list of crashed and failed tests (actually it's more than the fifteenth model but I lost the count).

It already has four successful flight to the KSS One station.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Don't pay attention to the fuel value on the first picture. For this flight I tried a longer ascent profile but in the end it didn't has any advantage over the ascent profile I usually use. Usually I end up with a little more fuel left in the tank.

Hope you like it !

OrionArm

Edited by OrionArm
re-put the link for the imgur album because it doesn't work the first time

This is my 2 seat, relatively compact and first successful SSTO, the dart. (also built some ground equipment too)

HetckXv.jpg

Climbing almost vertically after takeoff

u2Ty97V.jpg

A proper look at the spaceplane in orbit

BbEfjdd.png

Coming into land near KSC (Not expecting to land on the runway, it's only its second flight!)

QAL7hcJ.png

After a very precarious landing involving a very heavy touchdown and a 10 metre bounce, the dart arrives home in one piece, ready to be refuelled (Using KAS) and flown again.

Eb8ExLj.png

The main goal of this SSTO is to rescue kerbin landed crew an bring them back to KSC. to obtain this has special performance: space for 7 crew member 3 K-prize (ksc -> stable orbit for 3 times without refuel) SLTO (Short Landing and Takeoff)

Here the ALL TERRAIN version

FatNose Commercial rated same class of ship (weight, fuel and Engine Ratio but made using B9 Mod)

My latest SSTO. A lot of people on the forum and on youtube have requested a Medium SSTO spaceplane so I hope this fits the bill. Modifications should be easy enough for those that need docking ports, more fuel, no payload doors etc. This is the basic multipurpose version.

It has a very high lift rate so very efficient climber even at low speeds. It has about 44ton of trust with 4 turbojets at take off and a take of tonnage of 70 tons with a 9 ton payload still it can climbs with very good efficiency that can be seen by the almost parallel smoke trail during the initial 45 degree climb. I got away with 50 intakes, a lot but not as many as I would have figured.

Flight instructions and the craft file can be found in the description in the youtube video. You can also go to my channel using the link in my signature.

Here is a video of the new SSTO, Falcon XIV Kosmos doing her first successful trip.

http://youtu.be/ayHBGs9Ztrw

cfok.png

rqoo.png

Fantastic work as always... another great build.

Yea you where asking for a Medium SSTO so now you have to give it a spin ;)

I have fixed a problem with it so if you downloaded the original you can remove it and replace it with the 4 new Sub versions. A To D with different mission. A being the original (plus the fix) and the other once more specialized but with fewer parts as a result, 528 for the one with fewest part I believe.

DL link here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27196441/SSTOs.zip

Hey all, just want to say big cudos to Rune who's Grasshopper VTOL was the inspiration for this craft. Anyway, enjoy the video!

Cupcake...

Inspira-ception! Mine was my take on your style of landers, so I feel pretty honored. :D

You probably will get slightly less range with the two nukes, but an easier climb to orbit. And completely different looks. BTW, I like the Tadpole, very clean lines :)

Rune. Giving SSTO's a rest for now.

somehow this keeps getting removed off the forums. its getting really annoying. all im trying to do is show this thing off, and every time i post, it just dissapears after an hour. the thread/post, just... gone. vanished, poof. either one of the mods has it out for me, or he/she feels threatened. BUT WHY? i just made the fastest space plane to hit ksp. probably taking someones top title away. 6000 m/s, and heres proof. suck it slowpokes, eat my superheated exhaust.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuaHq45oiRY

somehow this keeps getting removed off the forums. its getting really annoying. all im trying to do is show this thing off, and every time i post, it just dissapears after an hour. the thread/post, just... gone. vanished, poof. either one of the mods has it out for me, or he/she feels threatened. BUT WHY? i just made the fastest space plane to hit ksp. probably taking someones top title away. 6000 m/s, and heres proof. suck it slowpokes, eat my superheated exhaust.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuaHq45oiRY

What are the lines shooting up from the craft..

And also.. you are a crazy person..

Starship Won Mark II

That thing's brilliant/ridiculous, think you may have just 'won' the thread :)

Been messing about recreating old cancelled cold war interceptors, wondered if any of them could be 'accidental' SSTOs. A few old RAF designs use SRBs to get up to high speeds and mach numbers straight from the runway, to deal with any nefarious soviet bombers - wondered if they might also be able to make it into orbit. I built this Hawker p.1134 variant a while ago, turns out it gets into orbit okay (sort of). Only disadvantage is that with the SRB, you can't really circularize properly, and sometimes even end up escaping Kerbin orbit entirely :D

That thing's brilliant/ridiculous, think you may have just 'won' the thread :)

Been messing about recreating old cancelled cold war interceptors, wondered if any of them could be 'accidental' SSTOs. A few old RAF designs use SRBs to get up to high speeds and mach numbers straight from the runway, to deal with any nefarious soviet bombers - wondered if they might also be able to make it into orbit. I built this Hawker p.1134 variant a while ago, turns out it gets into orbit okay (sort of). Only disadvantage is that with the SRB, you can't really circularize properly, and sometimes even end up escaping Kerbin orbit entirely :D

That thing is great, the problem with real life fighter/bombers on Earth vs Kerbin is Kerbin has a lot less atmosphere than Earth. But the idea is sound. The F-15 Streak Eagle, built to set the speed climb record could just about kick itself into the lower parts of space or the highest parts of the atmosphere. Same for the MIG-25 and MIG-35 Foxbat. The problem is, air hogging that we do in KSP doesn't work in real life like that and the insanely high speeds of the hypersonic flight leads to serious heating problems for the engines. But a few planes come close, SR-71 and the U2 are two that come to mind.

And I think that is my primary reason for avoiding the "Airhog" designs myself, granted a few of my designs are pretty close. But when I downloaded one mod and it made my jet engines peak out at Mach 3 before they lost power. It changed the whole way of me getting planes to space. No more airhogging at that point, had to design an aircraft that worked like a plane.

Edited by Hodo

Hey all, just want to say big cudos to Rune who's Grasshopper VTOL was the inspiration for this craft. Anyway, enjoy the video! :)

Cupcake...

Your VTOL's are beautiful cupcake, I really enjoyed watching your vids (especially the minmus one). Keep it up!

I also wouldn't mind seeing a high delta v VTOL, if you can do it!

KisShot, your Falcon X youtube video was the reason I purchased Kerbal! And yet again, you've made an stock SSTO that takes off WITH cargo, makes orbit, drops off cargo, and lands back on Kerbin.

No matter how hard I've tried, you keep building things that are beyond my ability to duplicate (yet).

You sir are a master! How do you do it?

KisShot, your Falcon X youtube video was the reason I purchased Kerbal! And yet again, you've made an stock SSTO that takes off WITH cargo, makes orbit, drops off cargo, and lands back on Kerbin.

No matter how hard I've tried, you keep building things that are beyond my ability to duplicate (yet).

You sir are a master! How do you do it?

It is not me that made those aircraft!!! it is pa1983's aircraft!!

All the Falcon ships are by pa1983... His youtube channel >> http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgSmNU42ryvXcvmIWgtXcsA

I've only ever posted my creations in this thread, maybe you got confused when pa1983 flew my space shuttle?

xD

5-man SSTO

2iP59Ne.jpg

Cause sometimes you want to go to space with 4 of your closest friends.

I modified this slightly to make this:

XY4Gm6e.jpg

Essentially I removed the front cockpit and replaced it with a docking port. Then I removed the last cockpit and replaced it with a Nuke. It turned the 5-seater into a 3-seater, but made it much more effecient and usable in space. It is currently my Laythe to Jool to Laythe shuttle.

It is not me that made those aircraft!!! it is pa1983's aircraft!!

All the Falcon ships are by pa1983... His youtube channel >> http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgSmNU42ryvXcvmIWgtXcsA

I've only ever posted my creations in this thread, maybe you got confused when pa1983 flew my space shuttle?

xD

Oooops! :blush:

Sorry, I'm new to this forum and don't know who everyone is yet. Let me browse some more and I'll get back to you!