SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

@ Narcosis

Very simple.. but very nice.. I like the air intakes connected to the Jet Engines.. that is good.

The soon-to-be-released 0.21 rebuild of my Sanzuwu SSTO which I posted back on page 18:
Javascript is disabled. View full album

@ Captain Sierra

You should call it Teeny Tiny.. ahahaha xD

fmo7.png

Obligatory pic.

Makes orbit with about 40 units of oxidizer left. 2 intakes to an engine.

Edited by KissSh0t

Hello all. I've been playing Kerbal for a bit now, but haven't been much of a forum participant. This I would like to change. To that end, below is one of my SSTO designs, Thunderfire, that I would like to share with the community. It uses vertical thrust for lift, has a jet-engine service ceiling of around 22,000 meters, and is capable of achieving a mid-range orbit around Kerbin.

Here it is in orbit:

ry%3D480

Docked with a refueling station:

ry%3D480

Once refueled, Thunderfire makes its way to the Mun and lands successfully:

ry%3D480

Back on Kerbin. Don't let me mislead you; it needed one more fuel up on the Mun before it had enough smash to make it back home:

ry%3D480

Overall, the design is not nearly as impressive as what I've seen much of you produce. It can't make it out of orbit without a refuel, but at least once it is fueled up, can make it to the Mun or Minmus. Additionally, the ship is very stable in the vertical configuration, but once you begin pitching the ship over in atmo, it does require some attention to keep it centered on heading. This is largely due to the three tail fin layout, but I really wanted to keep the aesthetic (even though in doing so I sacrifice some stability).

Thanks for the look! Good luck out there!

Edited by Rezolution

You could try making an SSTO similar to Harv? While not the best design... it does get Kebals up there...

-SNIP-

Harv land it on the moon or I will hurt you.

I haven't watched much of his new series. Personally, it doesn't feel like the Harv I am used to.

Back on topic, what would it take to do a vertical rocket ascent crew transport SSTO?

Skurj I Model Td ALIEN DIE* after its second return to Kerbin:

OoYIxXb.png

Note the missing main engine and missing jet engine. After the planes first return from orbit, I broke the main rocket engine in a bad landing at KSC. For giggles I launched again using only the auxiliary rocket engines (edit: hehe, once it had made it back up to altitude on jets!) and was surprised to find they easily got it back into orbit (which is why the next model Skurj has only a single Aerospike instead of a T-30 and six 48s!), then mistimed the second landing, overshot KSC, diverted to the second runway island, missed the second runway and landed on a hill, trashing the jet engine... but hey, it's still mostly intact.

*Exile.

Rocket style SSTOs are some of the hardest due to the fact that they use a traditional rocket ascent profile. Quite an achievement there. Perhaps I should use that style for my Lathe crew shuttle SSTO.

Thanks Captain Sierra. Appreciate the compliment. It took several variants before I finally settled on the above profile. I have a few airplane style SSTOs, as well, but I really wanted to try something different (and little more Sci-Fi-y).

Additionally, reading some of your earlier posts, I've gotta say that I was (and to an extent still am) a little adverse to the intake spam, as well. Doesn't feel quite natural. Even when I do use it, about 27,000 is the most altitude I can grab before engine flame out on my best SSTO. I'm still searching for those 30,000 or 32,000 meter figures. Maybe next time I'll try to make an SSTO without the intake spam completely, just to see if I can (I know others have made them). At any rate, SSTOs are still fun however they're done.

Also, I really like the twin cockpit SSTO you posted. Very unique and something I had not really considered. Might steal that later :).

Cruzan, freakin amazing. Awesome job. By far the coolest VTOL SSTO I've ever sen.

:D

Very nice, Cruzan. Love the compact design. How many intakes did you use?

Also, nice beat.

Thanks I'm glad people are enjoying it! :) It's definitely a hogger with 10-12 (I dont' remember off the top of my head) intakes. The video shows it still on jet engines up to 50km I believe haha.

Edited by Cruzan

NWFX-540ex SSTO

One I made for my rocket builder thread. Its a simple design like all of my stuff. KissShot and EXO are where I get some ideas on how to do stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlzixhyo3gw0kjs/NWFX-540ex.craft

2hI7P2c.png

This is one I have been working on for a week, it has fueling issues that I need to solve. With the lf/o2 tanks clipped into the LF tanks it becomes nose heavy before you can fire the rockets to balance it out. She is also not very stable and this is the fifth redesign mainly because the SPH didnt like my ideas and froze the game when trying to go for symmetry. She also pulls very badly to the left at altitude I think one of the engines is places wrong or something.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

and a link if someone wants to help me figure it out

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8u08l6ta6q7a4t/NW-2n880.craft

10 to 12 air intakes... pfffffttttttt.. That is not air hogging.

Nice dinky design.. very nice.

Lol'd at the one kerbal at the start.. he was freaking out..

:D Ya I always try to bring a Kerbal along with low courage and high stupidity. Or at least I think those are the characteristics that bring on sheer terror when they're flying lol.

NWFX-540ex SSTO

This is one I have been working on for a week, it has fueling issues that I need to solve. With the lf/o2 tanks clipped into the LF tanks it becomes nose heavy before you can fire the rockets to balance it out. She is also not very stable and this is the fifth redesign mainly because the SPH didnt like my ideas and froze the game when trying to go for symmetry. She also pulls very badly to the left at altitude I think one of the engines is places wrong or something.

Having the main tanks coming out sideways from the center of mass is one way to combat weight shift as fuel drains... but your problem is that those Fuselage parts contain fuel.

You could build it so it's tighter in closer to the center of mass.

Here is something I've been fiddling with today, to show you Fuel Tank Placement.

I am using mostly the Structural Fuselage... they contain no fuel so no weight shift, although the 4 that look like Structural Fuselage parts near the center of mass in the inner part are Jet Fuel Tanks. So 4 Jet Fuel Tanks and 4 FL-T800 Fuel Tanks... Which gives you quite a lot of fuel.

Another thing to note is Fuel Lines.. Each side of the craft is separate from one another, and each side of the craft has fuel lines running from the middle going outwards, and then from the outside inwards.

You can test how fuel drains by sitting it on the runway, putting the breaks on then burning the fuel and watching what drains from where first and if it drains evenly on each side.

tumblr_mua2r9G26R1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mua2r9G26R1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t
spelling

Ok I will give that a try. All of my fuel is in the fuselage, my rocket fuel tank and mono tanks are clipped inside of the jet fuel tanks. I was trying to avoid having fuel outside of this area to avoid the problem I am having now, because the way I understood it the jet engines burn fuel at different rates depending on what kind of airflow hey have. I did notice as I shut down engines as I got hiher that the craft would slowly start to straiten out so I may just take it all apart after work tomorrow and start over, I really dont like how it turned out looking in the first place lmao.

Hello all. I've been playing Kerbal for a bit now, but haven't been much of a forum participant. This I would like to change. To that end, below is one of my SSTO designs, Thunderfire, that I would like to share with the community. It uses vertical thrust for lift, has a jet-engine service ceiling of around 22,000 meters, and is capable of achieving a mid-range orbit around Kerbin.

Here it is in orbit:

ry%3D480

Thanks for the look! Good luck out there!

My favorite of the thread, may try and copy the design and see if I can get it to work in FAR. Looks like a Viper from Battlestar Galactica.