SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

HELP! How do I get cargo into the bay on my SSTO so that I can get it out in orbit and control as another ship? I want to start assembling a station. I've tried a radial decouple which blew half my ship apart. Pylons will only stick to the outside. I'll attempt to post a pic later, but the cargo seems to only stick to a part of my low-mounted wing. Using a 6m S2 cargo bay from B9 pack. Thx

Air hogging much?

Air hogging is totally over rated... or something... I mean.. Pfffftttttttt... using stock parts to build things... pppfffffttttttttttttttt....

We would never do that... no way..

(< ã‚ÂÉ・)~☆

tumblr_ms84sf7ysq1r2k180o1_1280.png

Edited by KissSh0t

HELP! How do I get cargo into the bay on my SSTO so that I can get it out in orbit and control as another ship? I want to start assembling a station. I've tried a radial decouple which blew half my ship apart. Pylons will only stick to the outside. I'll attempt to post a pic later, but the cargo seems to only stick to a part of my low-mounted wing. Using a 6m S2 cargo bay from B9 pack. Thx

Posting some images would help.

Can't do that or else the control surfaces will start clipping into the cargo bay doors. Also, elevating the wings too much results i and offset CoM.

Just saw this. Give the engines a bit of a turn around the longitudinal axis with SHIFT+WASD until they are slightly clipping inside the wing, and their thrust line should go up a bit. You will likely have to turn part clipping on to do that. A gull wing is the other possible solution if you think the clipping is cheaty.

The easiest way with the B9 pack is when the cargo bay is open in the construction screen take a small bit of structure, the square one is my favorite and attach a small decoupler, I prefer the ones from the KSPX pack, they have one that only has a 15 decouple force so it wont blow your cargo through the back of the ship.

And next you build your cargo, if it is a station piece I suggest building it in the rocket plant building. Use a remote guidance unit as the control unit at the top, and leave it clear at the very top. Build the station under it, then save the entire part using Subassembly Manager. Or you can build it IN the cargo bay of your ship. Which is the longer harder way of doing it but it will work just the same.

I also like putting a docking collar in the bottom of the cargo bay so I can retrieve cargo if need be.

Good luck and have fun.

You can make pylons go on the inside by rotating them (WASDQE). You ultimately need to mount it with a decoupler (decoupling pylon works) or a docking port to be able to release it. The latter also allows re-attachment.

I figured I haven't posted this one landing without crashing yet so here it is.. My previously posted Type 24 Raven being landed safely by Jedediah xD

The re-entry effects are so cool~

Should so try getting to Laythe *___*

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9to13woj1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

I'm happy to finally share my SSTO Shuttle Mk1~

Action Group 1 - Toggle Air Intakes

Action Group 2 - Toggle LV-T30

Action Group 3 - Toggle LV-N

Action Group 4 - Toggle Solar Panel *Located Bottom Rear of Craft*

Flight Tips // To get into orbit all you need to do is fly to roughly thirty thousand, stay level and go for speed, get as close to 2000m/s as you can, Toggle Jets/Intakes with action group (1), Switch on LV-T30 and LV-N with action groups (2) and (3) and pull up, burn until your arc is about 100 thousand then turn off LV-T30, just before peak of arc use LV-N to circularize.

Download Link >>> http://www./download/lanwcr7vi1pwbh2/SSTO+Shuttle+Mk1.craft

Some images showing safe landing of craft. then some Hanger Shots so you can see what it looks like clearly.

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9whob7JB1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

tumblr_msa1hnaDRm1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9x7uEtUj1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9x7uEtUj1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms9x7uEtUj1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

Edited by KissSh0t
Adding Missing Image

Yea reentry is cool :D Seems I posted the wrong video before so a bit boring. But my latest is a mission to Laythe and back with lots of reentry effects. I have fixed the link above so now its the right video.

Yea reentry is cool :D Seems I posted the wrong video before so a bit boring. But my latest is a mission to Laythe and back with lots of reentry effects. I have fixed the link above so now its the right video.

I watch you on youtube so I saw the new one you posted... I love the landing part with the vertical engines.. that was cool.. and your take off xD

Presenting my homage to the ever-popular SR-71 blackbird, the Spaceplane markIIB - I will take suggestions on a better name :)

The result of countless (and ongoing) design iterations, I initially wanted to build a cargo variant and a tanker variant (for filling up my fuel depot)but settled on a large cargo variant capable of carrying 10xvol960 KWrocketry tanks.

In the below mission, I intended rather ambitiously to tow my orbiting fuel depot to a more inclined orbit, for better scanning with the "science module" I was also carrying up to mate with the depot.

Lets see how it turned out:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by p1t1o

I watch you on youtube so I saw the new one you posted... I love the landing part with the vertical engines.. that was cool.. and your take off xD

Yea I actually turn around and went down hill first. You can see that. I noticed that when I edited the video I left some of the first attempt where I turned around 180 by activating two of the right jet engines.

But for different reasons I hit F9 because I was not happy with the fuel use. Then I got the Crazy I idea to fly over :P

Can that Big SSTO of yours go to other planets to considering it has quite a lot of rocket fuel?

Have you tried to coast it up on LV-N only? I think it would be doable for that craft.

I level off and cruse at 32-33Km sens the 3:e layer starts at 32km so there you can go the fastest because of the balance between drag and intake air. Once I hit 1900-2050m/s depending on craft I start climbing hard to gain vertical speed asap so I can keep all jets burning for as long as possible before I have to throttle down. Makes a big difference in altitude and speed I can get to before I go LV-N. Last time I hit over 44km altitude on jets due to one of my best ascent profiles so fare. When I started out with my latest craft I was happy to hit 37km with less payload. And that cost me probably 3 times the LOX use and corresponding fuel.

I might give your craft a try later and post my results if thats okay?

I still find that with more practice I can push my crafts further and further despite me flying them for months.

Edited by pa1983

hybrid ion engines!! nice have to try this :cool:

here is my newest creation, using mods (B9 and KW for refuel).

tried to dock inside the plane with a rocket and provide thrust for planet transfer. worked out fine (after some explosions). :)

COM is near rockomax fuel center, so reentry is no problem. the docking port inside the plane is also near COM and i build the transfer rockets with that in mind.

im currently on my way to duna, here are some screenshots.

first orbit with beta craft:

6F1EEA2AA1E5CAC96A156EEA7AC8AE9D5C5EC6F5

"final" version with a small 2man rover (front section):

CB37FE0DB7DD2628A3EE37117E500F7DD75AA464

refueling with 1 engine docked inside:

0A53B806267B0224D07F9762A99082E91DD53CC7

1 engine docked (manned kerbed of course):

C5D63D5C077EB9F700846967981CEB8D6357973C

3 engines docked:

90FC14BAF9728C7D1583147F112E2AFF4C03112A

going to orbit sun:

C4ED0A8358D774E25194A6A5CEC7953E24E8E8C0

the little flt800 tank with one nuclear rocket did only provide a 500k apoapsis.

so i build the 3 engine version which provides more thrust... need more power though... :D

Yea I actually turn around and went down hill first. You can see that. I noticed that when I edited the video I left some of the first attempt where I turned around 180 by activating two of the right jet engines.

But for different reasons I hit F9 because I was not happy with the fuel use. Then I got the Crazy I idea to fly over :P

Can that Big SSTO of yours go to other planets to considering it has quite a lot of rocket fuel?

Have you tried to coast it up on LV-N only? I think it would be doable for that craft.

I level off and cruse at 32-33Km sens the 3:e layer starts at 32km so there you can go the fastest because of the balance between drag and intake air. Once I hit 1900-2050m/s depending on craft I start climbing hard to gain vertical speed asap so I can keep all jets burning for as long as possible before I have to throttle down. Makes a big difference in altitude and speed I can get to before I go LV-N. Last time I hit over 44km altitude on jets due to one of my best ascent profiles so fare. When I started out with my latest craft I was happy to hit 37km with less payload. And that cost me probably 3 times the LOX use and corresponding fuel.

I might give your craft a try later and post my results if thats okay?

I still find that with more practice I can push my crafts further and further despite me flying them for months.

That would be quite nice to see you try it out... I haven't tested it to other planets yet, but I did build it with that as a possibility.

It's a chunky aircraft and on take off you will find you just roll on the rear wheels, a little kick with the rockets will get you off the ground. Use the light to see how close the tail gets to the ground on take off~

I still have a lot to learn with SSTO's xD

/// LOL spaceBrezel

... Just lol.. That is just huge..

Edited by KissSh0t

I have rear wheels mounted higher up to avoid over rotating. Despite limiting rotation it actually improves take off speeds because once you can rotate you have so much lift that you can lift the main wheels and use the tail wheel to stop the rear from hitting the runway. Real jet liners and other aircrafts also have rear wheels or a skid plate to avoid damage from over rotating.

I have rear wheels mounted higher up to avoid over rotating. Despite limiting rotation it actually improves take off speeds because once you can rotate you have so much lift that you can lift the main wheels and use the tail wheel to stop the rear from hitting the runway. Real jet liners and other aircrafts also have rear wheels or a skid plate to avoid damage from over rotating.

I never thought of a tail wheel... Damn.. Well.. Now I know (゜-゜)

xD

Just took off. Tail wheel added. No rockets needed to get off. Btw how do you control the jets? I had to add an action group for them.

Edit: found the actiongroup for jets :P

Edited by pa1983

Just took off. Tail wheel added. No rockets needed to get off. Btw how do you control the jets? I had to add an action group for them.

You can toggle the jet engines with Action Group 1.. Action Group 1 is also toggle air intakes..

I kind of use all the jet engines always.. I never really thought to shut some down like you do.

*Edit*

See!!

xD

Edited by KissSh0t