[PLUGIN, PARTS, Development] [0.20+][0.21+] tek Industries Science v0.4.1

tek_604

I have a suggestion, to have a real purpose other than just roleplaying. Why don't you integrate it with the "Mission Controller" mod, so you can sell those samples for huge lumps of cash. you will have to contact the mod dev for this one.

Interface with Mission Controller -- already thought of. Already spoke with the developer of MC, and from our conversation (via PM), he was able to write an interface to his plugin; if you have it, you will be able to fund your space program. I will also prepare a set of missions you can add to MC in order to gain mission completed rewards within MC.

Both together, you have a very rough career mode :cool:

...Except Extraplanetary Space Centers, you mean? They even wanted to convert Kethane into metal somehow to make it work. :)

Thanks for that! I'll need to keep an eye on it. Could do something with it :cool:

Github #27: Interface with Extraplanetary Space Centers

Would be even more synergy between mods.

Edited by tek_604
Added github link

OMG! Thats brilliant. We can have actual, self-sustaining colonies :0.0: Mine metal and make our own parts and whole ships or buildings. Drill for fuel for them. Build sprawling bases around industrial centers. With life support plugins provide oxygen and food (one day ;) for our colonists. I dreamed for years about game with such capabilities. I love KSP and this community :D

Great news! Skykooler is about ready to release first version of his mod. Soon TM we will be able to build real space industry. :cool:

Edited by Scotius
Avoiding double posting

Now that the weekend is here, I will write a small update.

Basically, I did nothing on this mod during the week. I wasn't feeling at all motivated to code during the evening, and I wanted to play some KSP for myself :P

Today, I will finish coding the manned sample analysis package (basically a modified Mk1-2 Command Capsule - now with added science!), and then probably code an orbital scan platform; while this part sounds exciting (I can hear people already thinking it will be the same as MapSat!), it will just be a modified antenna, which detects when you get a probe into a stable polar orbit. Once that is achieved, the mission will be complete.

If these two things get completed, I will then move onto the load/save code and the GUI to let you know what you've done. Finally, will be the addition of mining/conversion parts.

Something else I want to get done this weekend is testing the interface to Mission Controller, and report any problems, if they exist.

And my final comment right now, is, that this mod still needs some decent parts. So, if any modellers are reading this, and are feeling up to a little challenge, let me know.

Not sure if you have been following the kethane thread, but kethane v0.6 is about to be released. It will have support for other resources, allowing other modders to add resources to the game via the kethane plugin. Not sure if that has any bearing on what your trying to do here, figured I'd mention it though.

Not sure if you have been following the kethane thread, but kethane v0.6 is about to be released. It will have support for other resources, allowing other modders to add resources to the game via the kethane plugin. Not sure if that has any bearing on what your trying to do here, figured I'd mention it though.

Thanks for the tip. I'll need to check in on it, and see what's happening. It might be interesting to see how the Kethane mod is handling this for sure.

I've decided to stop working on the more complex parts of this mod for now, and stick with the basic parts and code I've developed.

This is due to the upcoming changes in the Kethane mod, and the excellent progress being made with Mission Controller.

I will work on making my mod more compatible with MC, by adding missions & rewards for the missions I have implemented.

If anyone wants to think of any other ideas which might fit in between MC & Kethane, then let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Edited by tek_604
I thought some more

Now that the weekend is here, I will write a small update.

Basically, I did nothing on this mod during the week. I wasn't feeling at all motivated to code during the evening, and I wanted to play some KSP for myself :P

Today, I will finish coding the manned sample analysis package (basically a modified Mk1-2 Command Capsule - now with added science!), and then probably code an orbital scan platform; while this part sounds exciting (I can hear people already thinking it will be the same as MapSat!), it will just be a modified antenna, which detects when you get a probe into a stable polar orbit. Once that is achieved, the mission will be complete.

If these two things get completed, I will then move onto the load/save code and the GUI to let you know what you've done. Finally, will be the addition of mining/conversion parts.

Something else I want to get done this weekend is testing the interface to Mission Controller, and report any problems, if they exist.

And my final comment right now, is, that this mod still needs some decent parts. So, if any modellers are reading this, and are feeling up to a little challenge, let me know.

Glad to hear you are still working on this. Just started with parts for KSP, so let me know if you want some help with modelling.

I should post an update as to what I've been doing. I did some work last weekend, as I posted previously, and I should have a new version ready for release soon. The coding was finished, I just want to test the code a bit, to make sure it still works!

Like I said before, I'll do some further work with MC in mind, and then I'll take a look at the latest Kethane, to see what can be done there.

Also the way Majiir is setting it up I do belive that the kethane scanners will detect any resource, that may save ya at least trying to model a scanner

Majiir said in his last set of Kethane changes that he wants new mods to have their own version of scanner though if my reading is somewhat accurate. For now Kethane mod scanners for kethane and ore (EL mod).

I have a question about science capsule. Can it stay in orbit, and analyse samples delivered by automatic lander? I have an idea for a science vessel that will go to planets carrying two probe landers able to return from most of the bodies (except Eve, Laythe, Tylo and maybe Duna - which will require manned landings).

I have a question about science capsule. Can it stay in orbit, and analyse samples delivered by automatic lander? I have an idea for a science vessel that will go to planets carrying two probe landers able to return from most of the bodies (except Eve, Laythe, Tylo and maybe Duna - which will require manned landings).

hmm well, I must admit, I didn't have that in mind, and I've not tested it. However, in principle... you *could* transfer samples from the sample return (I assume it will work in the same way as fuel transfer), and then analyse in orbit. But... the science capsule can only analyse once, and in order to do so, will need 100 units of the resource being analysed.

Maybe I could add a new capsule, for use in orbit. I'll add it to the github.

Github: Orbital analysis

Scotius, I would appreciate it if you could have a look at the issue, and comment according to what you think :)

Edited by tek_604
Added github issue

Hmm, i see couple of ways to do this. It stands to reason Kerbals do have advanced computers and data storage. So, maybe add a percentage progress bar for each body? Every sample gathering mission would contribute to filling it. Small probes would add only some data, while manned mission should be able to fill it completely. I'm thinking about Eve mostly - building a lander capable of lifting off and achieving orbit is problematic. I'd hate to strand a crew there just to get some data when i could send 10 unmanned probes. Data gathering would be costly and long, but risk to personnel would be minimal. But how to get data from probes to science capsule? Especially if it's hard or impossible to return them physically (Eve again, Jool atmosphere) - some sort of radio transfer would be useful. Capsule would have to stay in range for entire data gathering and analysis period. And the process should be quite long. Maybe some sort of science module? For example modified Hitchhiker: half of crew capacity, it's heavier and requires a lot of energy. And at least one Kerbal constantly present. And it could check inhabitants Stupidity level :wink: - less Stupidity overall? Faster progress.

Today I will do some under the hood development. It won't change how the parts work, but, it should make part development easier in the future.

I'd also like to report on the status of new models. I can't say too much right now, but, a robotic arm for rock sample collection is currently under development. If any modellers are looking at this thread, then I would like:

1) An animated fan for atmospheric sampling

2) A pump/hose system for liquid sampling

3) New IVA for the Science Capsule, to replace the 3rd seat with "science" (imagination required!)

Note these are just ideas, so if anyone has any more ideas (maybe something more Kerbaltastic!), then feel free to either post them on this thread, or PM me. Now I think of it, what would be fun, would be a vacuum cleaner type device for liquid sampling :D

Modellers: If you are interested, let me know, and I'll add your names to the first post!

As for things to come. Next will come an orbital laboratory. This would allow you to collect a sample from the surface, bring it to orbit, and then perform the analysis. Probably based on the Hitchhiker module.

Eventually, I will implement progress tracking. Not sure how yet, and its probably a while off, but I did look into it previously. I just wasn't happy with how it was coming out.

*High fives* This is it people! Soon we will have some serious science stuff to do IN SPAAAAACE! :D No more getting by with only "Stuck a scanner on a sat, put it in polar orbit and wait for 10 minutes at 100x timewarp."

I'm pleased to announce that tek Industries now has its first team member - King Jareth. He will be working on parts, and other modelling/texture goodness.

I am also happy to announce we have an official team slogan: "Moar science!". It can be attributed to one Scotius Kerman. I hope to add it to the outside textures on parts that are large enough :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.