Sepratron Height Challenge

The challenge is simple, who can get the most height using stock parts and using only sepratrons as an engine. You can build any size, any number of stages, any number of parts, or even have a kerbal sitting in an External Command Seat. The goal is to get a Kerbal as high as you can. If you bring your kerbal back safely and had the same height as someone else who didnt, you beat them. I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with.

Here is mine, my kerbal was ejected from the seat when the boosters ran out, so alot of the height was achieved without anything under me so I don't think it counts (Tell me what you think). Max height 9,676m

kerbalfun.png

sepchal.png

Edited by mojobojo

My sepratron ship didn't get as high as yours but it was only 5 kilometers away. PICTURE TIME!

I would argue that mine does not count, as my kerbal left his seat while under acceleration so he had the least amount of mass possible.

I would argue that mine does not count, as my kerbal left his seat while under acceleration so he had the least amount of mass possible.

Makes sense. I'm going try a lighter command pod now (unmanned), and see how high I can get.

People in this thread seem to be making the mistake of using way too many separatrons per stage, and way too few stages. With about 300 separatrons divided into 33 stages (the top 8 stages having only 2 separatrons each), I've managed to hit 500 km, and the ship's not even starting to lag. I'm continuing to build, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing could leave Kerbin's SOI before it gets CPU-killing big. I'll post something soon.

I accepted your direct challenge, ShachonianX!

ITiPEXAh.jpg

JRTaADHh.jpg

8Xznxzih.jpg

Could've probably gone further if I had used more middle sized decouplers instead of the big ones, but meh. At least it was fun :P

So my dreams of leaving Kerbin's SOI turned out to be a bit farfetched, but I beat Kolt by an order of magnitude.

zej6Ii4.png

The craft is a little silly.

USUXOFd.png

Here's the breakdown on it, for anyone that's curious:

1192 separatrons, divided into 48 stages. Stages, topdown: 8*2, 6*4, 4*6, 3*8, 2*10, 2*12, 3*16, 2*20, 3*24, 1*28, 2*32, 2*40, 1*48, 2*56, 2*64, 2*80, 2*88, 1*104.

I launched it every couple stages as I was building, getting the following heights:

2: 5200

3: 7200

5: 10800

8: 17000

10: 29000

12: 43500

14: 63000

16: 80000

20: 124 km

25: 197 km

28: 299 km

33: 499 km

36: 650 km

38: 838 km

43: 1486 km

48: 2387 km

It also came out a bit slower than the optimal ascent profile, but by the time that was showing, I was rather committed to it. A redesign with slightly higher TWR could do better.

Edited by Ninety-Three

Are you people fireing them as the former stage depletes? Or are you waiting to be slowed down to avoid drag losses?

Also:

It's Sepratron! Not septratron and not seperaton!

SEPRATRON!

During the building of my 48 stage monster, when it was only 20ish stages and less, I was waiting between stages a bit to try to keep my speed at the optimal ascent profile (going by this handy post). As the ship grew, it ended up wanting to fire each stage the moment the last one depleted. For a really large heavy ship, you should be able to end up pretty close to optimal ascent with the heavy early stages, which means more or less immediate separation, and by the time you reach the light upper stages, you'll be in high atmosphere where it's always optimal to burn everything as quickly as possible.

Edited by Ninety-Three

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.