Asteroids 2.4 Now Open Source

frizzank

How does this new gravity work? Do they have their own SOIs? Can you change their orbits?

Its using the part gravity plugin, they are not planets. They have none of the behaviors of planets. Meaning you can change their orbits, but if you time warp wile landed on it without being docked you will likely explode. Just like real life!

I think we should put to rest the idea that people can land on asteroids in real life or in KSP! You Cant Land On Asteroids!
Wrong, see NEAR Shoemaker

No your right, fantastical ideas like landing on asteroids has no place in KSP. The serious space simulator that is exactly like real life in every way, and makes absolutely no compromises for the sake of things like game play and, or fun.

Also the NASA ARU mission still has funding I think

I love how every now and then a real respected science group will come out with an idea that sounds just stupid and makes it sound awesome

"We're going to send a satellite out with a really big garbage bag, put an asteroid in it, and bring it back, cuz..."

If that's not the spirit of America I don't know what is.

Now somebody needs to make an asteroid transport bag part, cuz.

I love how every now and then a real respected science group will come out with an idea that sounds just stupid and makes it sound awesome

"We're going to send a satellite out with a really big garbage bag, put an asteroid in it, and bring it back, cuz..."

If that's not the spirit of America I don't know what is.

Now somebody needs to make an asteroid transport bag part, cuz.

THANK YOU! I can't tell you how much I agree that this is an idiotic idea. We can't agree on funding to go back to the moon or go forward to Mars, but apparently we have the funding for an asteroid lasso?

THANK YOU! I can't tell you how much I agree that this is an idiotic idea. We can't agree on funding to go back to the moon or go forward to Mars, but apparently we have the funding for an asteroid lasso?

Asteroids don't care if the mission takes years. Asteroids don't need food air or water. This means it is probably cheaper to move an asteroid into lunar orbit than manned moon and mars missions.

Has anyone else had problems with attaching to the new asteroids?

yes, they often have parts just fall off for no reason. example, I cant attach a command pod to them, even with struts or they just fall off on launch.

I managed to get this snug fit under the wt-51, and managed to launch a few times, but other times the thing just detaches.. and other times it wont.. even with a billion struts.

image.php?id=77A0_51CC60C1&jpg

I think the gravity plugin is pulling on the parts making them unstable. I would use hyper edit or some other cheat to get them where they need to go. I may take off the gravity on the smallest one so its useable as a ship.

I think I will stick with the non-gravity versions. Gravity will cause serious problems trying to dock with my asteroid-station.

where is the non gravity asteroids? I am not liking the gravity of this situation.

Ok, gonna give this pack a miss for a while, for me personally the new asteroids are unusable.

Strange, when they had no gravity, got a lot of people saying "This would be awesome if they had gravity" and now that they have it I get people saying they are unusable?

I reverted the original asteroids to have no gravity and I made 2 new asteroids and put gravity just on them. As always delete your old mod before installing the new one.

Spaceport Download Link

The 2 largest asteroids have gravity, FASA_Asteroid400 and FASA_Asteroid_CraterGrav, the rest do not. If you would like gravity on all of them open up the cfg files for the ones that do not have gravity and replace

module = CommandPod

with this

module = ARGravitatingPart

Or if you dont want gravity on them do it the other way around.

The gravity part plugin does not create planets, so if you warp while close to them you will get problems.

It is fun to land on them, or try to orbit them but again you have to use physics warp once your in close proximity.

The small dot in the middle is Gemini orbiting the new large asteroid.

lWWnJqN.jpg

Strange, when they had no gravity, got a lot of people saying "This would be awesome if they had gravity" and now that they have it I get people saying they are unusable?

Well, I can use them, just nothing sticks to them that's all. I can't even hyperedit the ones with gravity because the parts fall off before I can even Alt-H and get into orbit. The ones without gravity work fine,

hopefully someone comes up with a more efficient gravity plugin.