[0.25+] HexCans - Standardized Resource Canisters 0.7.1 -- Breaking Ground Edition

Greys

Just as a sort of news dump

The same thing that happened last month and ruined my finances and sleep schedule just happened again yesterday, it's also been known for a while that in september corporate at my work is supposed to hand down the law and cut everybody's hours by 30%, so yea... September's not going to be fun.

Also my unity instance stopped working, I'll need to rebuild it, I've been needing to update to parttools 0.20 anyways

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes, but I'm about to pass out from misuse of energy drinks

I just pushed a bunch of stuff onto the git ( https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans ) fixing things I did wrong in 0.4.0 (last update) and making sure that the HexPod is not backwards; I can't confirm easily that this was a problem anybody but me suffered from, but it should be solved now.

If needed, here's my easy 14 step guide for how to download stuff off github http://i.imgur.com/yjFXBqD.png

I'll do a proper update tomorrow night (EST)

HexCans 0.4.2 released!

Changes:

Textures are hopefully a lot more optimized than they were

Reactionwheels and SAS have been correctly added to all the things they should have been previously

HexPod is now a 'finished part', may require more balancing and it still lacks a hatch; I'll likely fix the hatch tonight (edit: due to KSP; the HexPod is not capable of having a functional hatch, sorry but it's too small and the solutions are all bughax)

--Anyone who has been using the HexPod may find that it is now backwards on any existing flights; you might be able to correct this with save editing but I really don't know

To anyone who downloaded from the github in the last eleven hours, the LF and Mono textures were swapped, that's fixed now.

Other stuff! https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans/commits/master

Edited by Greys

Sorry for the late reply, I've been binging on development, btw, Emissives!

igmqzQt.png

It ain't so great yet but it exists, also you may notice the TurboHex texture is much less non-existant now! Also not so great but one step at a time

As for the Kethane symbol, I have all sorts of complaints about 'KH4' as a concept, and I've enjoyed several nonsense debates regarding what Kethane actually is and KH4 is just not a plausible chemistry given Kethane's behavior. More practically though, there just isn't room for three characters of text, I could make it smaller but that'd be sacrificing clarity, unique symbols and single characters are ideal and the K logo, typeface replicated from the Kethane thread banner, works pretty well. Of course, if you disagree all the assets are provided to create your own variant, and given what you desire is just text it would be exceedingly quick to do; You're free to do so and distribute, if you like I'll even link it in the OP.

PS: I'm about to get 0.22, hopefully only things that make me happy are broken (...)

Edited by Greys

• 2 weeks later...

I actually only got around to trying it in 0.22 last night myself; those of you who've been subject to my complaining about the science system may be surprised because I have played the stock game almost every night since it came out; The cans work exactly as they did before and I'm getting closer to the turbohex system being done but, I have no clue how to add the cans into the tech tree, especially given TreeLoader. Of the few mods I've tried so far, all of them are screwed up by using anything other than the stock tree; and the stock tree annoys the hell out of me.

For some reason the hexacockpit is completely red for me, none of the other textures are like that.

Do I need something other then just the basic user download/is it not compatible with the alternitive textures?

That's very odd for a lot of reasons. The oddest of which is that the HexPod doesn't have a fallback texture.

I have nearly everything assembled using a pool of common models and then using MODEL{} to point at a specific texture; but the way KSP works the model must have the texture it wants to have by default or you can't replace it with the one you want. So for most of the models there's a PNG file containing a single red pixel; I made it red so that it would be super obvious when something doesn't work.

The HexPod doesn't have that. There is only a single texture file associated with the HexPod and it's the full one, so under no situation should the HexPod be red, I really have no idea what to say for that. Try reinstalling?

Beyond that; Lebannehn's texture pack doesn't contain anything for the HexPod, so it really shouldn't impact it at all.

I think we're getting close to the Turbohex and stuff entering the main selection!

If anybody would care to give them a run and say what you think, this variant of Hexcans is equipped with the TurboHex emissives; some assembly required, if you've used them before it's the same.

https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans/tree/TurboHex-Texturestuffs

I think it looks pretty nice but it's getting late and I've been working in a very restricted instance

The TurboHex, HexRam, and Shock Wedge are still acting pretty OP and I'm not certain how to balance them, it might just be a problem with smaller craft but I've had several things fly stable at 25~Km which I don't really think they should do. That's a project for another day.

Maybe reduce there ISP more drastically at higher altitudes?

Then agian, with KSP that affects fuel flow, not thrust like it should...

Also, is there any chance of a Rocket Hex to complement the TurboHex?

Also, is there any chance of a Rocket Hex to complement the TurboHex?

Yes.

I plan on having end-attached LFO and Ion engiines, and a full-can-adaptation SRB, they're the next set of things on the list.

Forgive the doublepost, 0.5.0 is now out; it works fine with KSP0.22.x, but does not have tech tree entries, it does have the new jet engine and air intakes. Links in the first post.

Have fun and remember, small aircraft are so OP.

First person to make a hexcan based spaceplane gets a halloween bite sized snickers bar (snickers bar not included)

edit: PS: LFO engine has entered development http://i.imgur.com/IE9s8L5.png

Arm the photon torpedos

Fire the photon torpedos

Edited by Greys

• 4 weeks later...

My name is Grays, not Greys. I'm reddit user /u/grays42.

I took the liberty of creating a tech tree file that adds all HexCans at appropriate tiers of the tech tree.

A few notes

- If you load this into an existing campaign, you'll need to pull up your tech tree and manually buy all of them (for 0c).

- At no point is a hexCan a *better* option than an existing item on the tree (except the generators, which are way more powerful than anything available in stock), they all show up about when similar parts are available.

- Most of the small cans show up in Precision Engineering, because there simply aren't any tiny parts like them and that's where the smallest parts show up.

Here's the config file:

http://pastebin.com/vPB12ZTc

To use it, save that as Hex_TechTree.cfg (the filename really doesn't matter) and put it anywhere in your GameData folder (for example, in the HexCans folder). You need to have Module Manager 1.5 somewhere in your GameData directory--a lot of mods already include this.

Edited by Grays

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Grays, this is Greys, nice to meet a fellow monochrome.

Sorry for the very late reply to this but I've been uncertain of my opinions and how to state them. I do very much appreciate your effort in creating these patches and even though you don't need it you have my full permission to whatever and etc.

As far as stock hexcans and science go, I've decided that I will not be making any attempt to put HexCans into the tech tree until 0.23. We're expecting a lot of changes to how the whole thing works and there are a lot of crucial little things about how it currently works that I'm disappointed in at the moment. That's not to say I don't like it; but I can't stand to play it and I feel the methodologies of experimentation, transmission, and how unlocks work on an arbitrary currency alone are wrong and significantly devalue a lot of the gameplay that Squad has spent time making. For instance there is almost no reason whatsoever to make planes in career mode. Or rovers. Or satellites. Or space stations that don't serve as refueling hubs for larger missions. It's barely even worthwhile to go to the mun. Basically all the parts of KSP that I personally find fun, Career Mode says are a waste of time. It's version one for science, I can't fault it on not satisfying me; but I also don't feel that HexCans fits into career mode's value system.

I'll put a link to your post in the first post so people can find it easily.

it seems that most people using Hexcans in aircraft and as radial canisters.. but thinking about the space program I'm running on my pcand wanting to take up multiple hexcans in one launch. Could I put forward a request / suggestion for 2.5m & 1.25m diameter stack hex adaptors to use for the Hexcans? And maybe a 1.25m dia stack Octo adaptor for the small hex cans?

it seems that most people using Hexcans in aircraft and as radial canisters.. but thinking about the space program I'm running on my pcand wanting to take up multiple hexcans in one launch. Could I put forward a request / suggestion for 2.5m & 1.25m diameter stack hex adaptors to use for the Hexcans? And maybe a 1.25m dia stack Octo adaptor for the small hex cans?

The hexcans already stack.

HexCans do stack, but it doesn't really make sense to stake them outside of probes; From the initial design concept they were intended for use as radial expansions and drop-tanks. As stack replacements, I have my doubts about the hexagonal formfactor but certainly you would not have the bumper caps and it wouldn't be particularly important to have the label plates the way they are. Key in my mind is that the hexcan sizes are not directly compatible with the stock size standards; as radial tanks this is insignificant, the stock radial bits also have no relation to the stack sizes. Hexcans currently have a bumper-measure of 0.4m flatflat and 0.46m pointpoint, meaning if they're scaled up in the standard doubling progression it would be as follow

Size 0 0.2f-f 0.23p-p

Size 1 0.4f-f 0.46p-p

Size 2 0.8f-f 0.92p-p

Size 3 1.6f-f 1.84p-p

Size 4 3.2f-f 3.68p-p

Compared to the stock

Size 0 0.625

Size 1 1.250

Size 2 2.500

Size 3 5.000*

Size 4 10.00*

(* Sizes 3 and 4 don't actually exist and have not been widely accepted by parts makers)

In order to make stack-intended hextanks I'd need to significantly deviate from the norm of the set.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've kinda wanted to see is an in-line hexcan carrier/adaptor. If just a carrier, would have indents in the sides to fit the cans into. Maybe using that third node in the middle of the cans for attachment. An adaptor could be modeled as a plate and you could put 7 hexcans on it, one in the middle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.