[0.25+] HexCans - Standardized Resource Canisters 0.7.1 -- Breaking Ground Edition

Greys

Hey so, 0.5.1! https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans/releases/tag/v0.5.1

This is a small update, one new thing and lots of bug fixing. I've fixed all the bugs I know of for 0.23 that I can fix and added one part, a nose cone. My understanding of FAR says that the nosecone should be functional, but I don't really understand FAR.

Please make sure you do read the... eh.. release message... thing

MFT support should now be fully functional for both 0.23 and 0.22

There is one caveat for 0.23, this will happen if you use a large or small hexcan as your root part, just save and reload the craft somehow and it's fine.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 1 month later...
Hey so, 0.5.1! https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans/releases/tag/v0.5.1

This is a small update, one new thing and lots of bug fixing. I've fixed all the bugs I know of for 0.23 that I can fix and added one part, a nose cone. My understanding of FAR says that the nosecone should be functional, but I don't really understand FAR.

Please make sure you do read the... eh.. release message... thing

MFT support should now be fully functional for both 0.23 and 0.22

There is one caveat for 0.23, this will happen if you use a large or small hexcan as your root part, just save and reload the craft somehow and it's fine.

http://imgur.com/a/M1amy

sorry to pop in at a bad time. is there any news on a hex pod internal or even a crew hatch? i landed a hexCan lander on the Mun then saw my problem... poor bob...

• 1 month later...
sorry to pop in at a bad time. is there any news on a hex pod internal or even a crew hatch? i landed a hexCan lander on the Mun then saw my problem... poor bob...

uhm... great now i'm a resident necromancer... me thinkies this is dead... also is there a license for this mod? if so what is it? (i was working on some decouplers and seperators for this mod... got the models and meshes done in blender so i just wanted to know if i could post them)

• 1 month later...
uhm... great now i'm a resident necromancer... me thinkies this is dead... also is there a license for this mod? if so what is it? (i was working on some decouplers and seperators for this mod... got the models and meshes done in blender so i just wanted to know if i could post them)

It looks like he uses CCPL

https://github.com/Greys0/HexCans/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Which I think means yes provided you take "reasonable steps to clearly label, demarcate or otherwise identify that changes were made to the original Work." Also I think the result needs to be CCPL as well but I am not 100% sure on that... I haven't had a chance to read through the license completely (you should before you post anything).

It's not dead~

also:

License

This set of parts are released under CC-BY 3.0, you are free to use, alter, or add to as you desire, you may release your works using HexCans under whatever license you desire though I suggest open source as it's good for the community. You may distribute your works however you like.

Rules of Attribution

To make it simple and concrete I require only one thing to consider your released works sufficiently attributing me.

In the .cfg files for all HexCans parts there is the line

author = Greys

"Greys" must remain in that field, you of course can add your own name/names and I do not care about the order.

example:

author = BobDole & Greys

Nothing else is required for the license to be satisfied.

If you can I would like to have a link to either of the HexCans forum threads in your release thread, it does not need to be prominent, and that is not required.

Distribution

You are free to include as much of the base HexCans set alongside your add-on as you like with two conditions:

1. Do not distribute the original part set without modification.
    If you'd like to make modified variants of the stock parts that is fine, either as part of a greater add-on or a derivative HexCans set, but do not distribute the original parts as is. This is to prevent unnecessary confusion from the users and prevent the circulation of outdated assets.
  2. Try to include only the assets that you need for your add-on
    Limiting the HexCan assets that are distributed alongside your add-on to those that are necessary has three main benefits:
    It reduces your distribution size which means players have to download less
    It eliminates unused assets which KSP will still load, reducing player's memory load if they don't choose to install the main set (marginally)
    It helps to prevent conflicts with the main set if assets have changed between your version and mine.

I took a vacation from doing things and then started working on a different mod for a while, I'm still developing hexcans and I have been working on it recently.

You can see that here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29149-HexCans-Standardized-Resource-Canisters-20-Ready

It's not dead~

also:

I took a vacation from doing things and then started working on a different mod for a while, I'm still developing hexcans and I have been working on it recently.

You can see that here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29149-HexCans-Standardized-Resource-Canisters-20-Ready

Ooooh Tri-Hex struts, nice... can't wait to see them. Hexcan for all of its simplicity is one of my favorites.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any chance we can get an IVA and/or hatch on the manned pod? I really want to make some escape pods for my orbital station from these. but I need to be able to transfer crew to them. An actual airlock system would be great as well if that guy who mentioned he was working on connectors and separators etc. wanted to run with that as well. or even make the existing rack just have crew transfer ability.

Also KSP-AVC support would be nice.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post but I've slept and have some more things to say

As described on the page that link goes to, and now in the topic; sorry, forgot to update that before; this update breaks stuff.

I have in this update reorganized and relabeled nearly all assets, which breaks anything that uses MODEL to make use of hexcan assets.

This includes ExtraPlanetary LaunchPads and InterStellar Mod, potentially as well TACLS but I think it may use a version of hexcans that predates MODELing

This change breaks existing craft files and vessels.

0.25 corrected the bug with MODEL nodes having rescaleFactor applied twice; this has been accounted for in 0.7.1 but that will likely not apply to existing vessels, and 0.7.1 is Not Compatible with versions of KSP prior to 0.25 because of this.

This change will break any existing craft files and vessels

I have named and retitled many of the parts, they were inconsistent and disorganized and it has been annoying me since forever. All parts should now be ordered in the VAB consistently.

This change will break any existing craft files and vessels, as well as any ModuleManager patches that reference part names or titles, wildcard matches will be unaffected.

Just remembered the one thing I forgot to fix.... Probably will pass on it until future plans.

The hex-rack system's transparency has been broken, by something, not sure what. This is purely a visual defect and they were ugly before this.

In the following updates I will be attempting to optimize and simplify all of the mesh in this addon, this will break all textures and they will need to be remade so that's gonna take some time. During that process I intend to eliminate the rack's transparency entirely, and instead model the whole thing. I was naive when I made it the first time, mesh are cheap, textures are expensive; when this whole thing is finished I should be able to use significantly smaller textures to achieve a similar visual fidelity. Currently most things in hexcans use 1024x1024 sheets, I intend to move the standard down to 512 and some parts to 256 or lower. During this process I also hope to complete the texture of the LFO Hexgine, which will be the final part needed for a 1.0 release, it's been almost 2 years, but I'm finally close.

Once that's done I'd like to focus on expanding the TLHT system so that hexcans is more independently functional.

For the present, I would greatly appreciate feedback on the HRB-100's emissive animation; this was my first try, it's a modified duplicate of the TurboHex's curves, I'm not sure what I think of it, maybe too yellow.

Also any thoughts about the HRB-100's balance, it's quite small so I made it rather weak and short lived; it's about half the thrust and half the burn time of that first SRB you get in career.

Sidenote, as mentioned above any MM patches are broken; this includes the fan made science integration patch; I've removed it and the texture pack from the first post, they're linked to in posts earlier in the thread if you want to fix them yourself.

As always, if you experience any bugs please alert me, particularly with how big the changes have been this time. But do expect any existing saves to be broken by this update.

BACK UP YOUR SAVES

• 4 weeks later...

Nice mod, TAC LS drew my attention to it. It's certainly a distinctive form factor to have things in. I look forward to the trusses you're working on designed to hold the cans.

I would suggest moving the monoprop and xenon tanks into propulsion, in line with where the stock tanks are now placed.

PS: What's the barite meant for, just ballast?

Edited by cantab

Also any thoughts about the HRB-100's balance, it's quite small so I made it rather weak and short lived; it's about half the thrust and half the burn time of that first SRB you get in career.
It has a crazy-good mass ratio when compared to the RT-10, though offset (probably more than offset in a career mode) by the higher cost. Of course, since you'd have to edit it into a node...

If you want it to be a mini-RT 10, I'd aim for ~215 funds, and up the dry mass to 0.35.

PS: What's the barite meant for, just ballast?

Yep. Pump around if you need to shift CoM in flight, without your ballast burning off.

• 4 months later...

I am officially backing out of modding KSP, HexCans has changed from CC-By-SA to MIT license. To the few people who actually enjoyed my parts I thank you, and if the interest exists, you're all free to continue it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.