On the 0.21 Update News: Your most anticipated new feature, your disappointments...

rodion_herrera

That's not so clear. Background flight are using a simplified model. No thrust, no drag, no rocket mechanics, and of course no rendering. With the patch conic approximation, their position is straightforward to compute and can be computed at any point in time, on demand (so you can update their position whenever you need/want).

The only thing that could bloat the system is trajectory drawing on the map, but with a good filtering system it could be solved.

It does not sound technically too complex to handle hunderds, maybe thousands objects.

So you agree that there would be a theoretical limit to the number of flights? This was entirely my point.

I'm not saying it will be an issue. I don't know what the actual limit would end up being, and it's likely computer dependent. My concern is that if there is no way to end some flights you could potentially hit this limit.

Will it be a problem in reality? I don't know. I'm just hoping this is being considered in what they are implementing.

• 4 weeks later...

So far, none of the features "confirmed" for 0.21 have impressed me at all. Considering none are guaranteed to be in there, I better not put my expectations way up high. For all we know the goals estabilished are too general and leave lots of room for different interpretations.

Although it was never mentioned as a potential feature in the near future, I am greatly anticipating the addition of a new solar-system to visit. I have been to every planet/moon/sun in the current system and have found every Easter-egg. Rocket building is no longer a challenge for me when i can sit down and crank out a 3 man rocket in about 20 minutes that has enough delta-v to land on any planet/moon. Having a very distant target like another system to visit will add enough challenge to keep me interested in the game for a long time.

Another thing I am anticipating (but probably wont be released any time soon) is the ability to find resources on other bodies and use them to fabricate/fuel vehicles on other worlds. Putting some small object on another planet no longer requires that I build a rocket to get it into orbit, transfer it to another planet, and land it without blowing everything up in the process.

Career Mode will be cool, but I've still got so much exploring still to do in the sandbox, so I can wait for that. What I'd really like to see in this next version is some kind of sub assembly loader in the VAB.

The visual detail of the new VAB and SPH scares me. it lags bad enough when I look at all the kerbals on the ground walking around let alone adding another 5 billion truss pieces to the roof :( I dont look at the ceiling when I build a rocket.. not usually anyway.

The Good

Crew management is good news.

The SAS changes look good as well, though I fear it may mean a total save game restart (usually I loose a few ships every major patch but this could totally change a LOT of things). In the long run though, if you've seen the example video, I think this will be a major help.

I'm not at all interested in career mode, I MUCH prefer KSP as a sandbox, but I'm glad it's finally coming as I appreciate I'm probably in the minority and it should help the game reach and keep a larger audience.

The Bad

I really don't care about the KSC changes, I'd much rather have seen that time used elsewhere, but hey, you can't please everyone!

Very disappointed however that resources seems to have vanished yet again... my KSP time input has fallen a lot in the last 6 weeks, and it'll be the resource system that brings it back.

Other Hopes

Hoping to see a lot more mod parts become stock, especially from the KSPX set. I like quite a few mods, but rarely make non-stock crafts. While I feel things like engines should be left to the devs, there's so many good adapter pieces and so forth in some of the mod packs, I'd love to see them become stock. Would also be very interested to see if some of the B9 set will now be integrated as well... again, usually I dislike non-stock but I've been playing with B9 of late and it really takes aircraft from an after-thought to a proper part of the game, though I think it makes SSTO a little easy in it's current state.

Some more vehicle orientated parts for building mid sized rovers.

Some station orientated parts

Better methods of connecting two craft together (EVA strut welding?) More to do in EVA full stop would be great actually.

I for one wished they would really push with implementing the "sub-assembly" type of loading--I really think it's one of the most time-saving and logical enhancements to the VAB or SPH.

Especially because of the fact that we can't download the subassembly loader anymore.

Considering the game is in a quite playable alpha state with support for user-written mods, I don't see how anyone can be "disappointed"; I've easily gotten my money's worth from KSP. When SQUAD starts calling it a beta, then I'll discuss my disappointments.

New ASAS and SAS will own.

Considering the game is in a quite playable alpha state with support for user-written mods, I don't see how anyone can be "disappointed"; I've easily gotten my money's worth from KSP. When SQUAD starts calling it a beta, then I'll discuss my disappointments.

New ASAS and SAS will own.

Well said, it is amazing to see mods in such an early state game. I never thought about it before D:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.