what was the first thing you landed on (not in the kerbin system)

duncan1297

first thing  

1 member has voted

1. 1. first thing

• Moho
    • Eve
    • Duna
    • Ike
    • Dres
    • Laythe
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Bop/Pol
    • Eeloo

Duna. Honestly because Kurt (or was it scott?) landed on it first, I went there first.

After 10 tries, I used the orbx calcualator, and landed Jeb.

I tried the same thing on Eve, in the dark, not realising the gravity AND the fact that it had damn water!

I think most people targeted Duna, as it is the Mars analog for KSP, and that is the next destination for human exploration.

But the first planet that a robotic probe landed on was Venus, so I picked Eve.

My first effort was a grand expedition to Duna with three craft! All three missed -.- so my next effort was with three craft to Jool because I heard it had a big SOI. The first craft entered the system the wrong way and impacted Tylo at 8km/s. The second burned up in Laythe's atmosphere, but the pod landed by parachute in the ocean. The third just about managed to orbit Vall. All in all, not bad for a first effort with no LV-Ns.

I was all ready to rush in with a Duna answer, but caught myself forgetting those first probes to Eve!

I sent a pair of probes together to Eve as my first journey beyond minmus, and landed the first one safely at about sea level (this was well before deadly reentry, and I wonder if I could manage it again now).

The second I intended to land on gilly, but realised that it was not powerful enough, so dropped it onto Eve also. One of its legs collapsed upon landing though and the probe fell over damaging its various sciency bits :(

Always manned landing first for me. Duna was actually quite by accident... I sent a lander to Minmus and it had such a huge amount of fuel left I launched another and sent it to Duna. Had no idea what I was doing back then, was a terrible transfer and arrival. Made it into the atmosphere but my parachute was inadequate, burned the last of my fuel and ran out about 300m off the ground. Came down hard but I landed intact!

The crew were stuck there for about 6 years before an epic rescue mission returned them all successfully to Kerbin.

Other than that, landing order was...

Mun, Minmus, Duna, Dres, Moho, Laythe, Vall, Eeloo, Pol, Bop

If we're counting back to KSP savefiles of yore, then Duna. But on my most current... Eeloo, believe it or not. Although it was a little bit more like high-speed lithobraking as opposed to a traditional landing. Also our valiant hero Dersen was completely out of fuel with no hope of a Kerbin return. So I guess it was more a Kerbalized Viking funeral than anything else.

First landing on Duna yesterday. After a manned orbital mission, 3 Mun attempts (two of them failed, one spectacularly), and 4 Minmus attempts (two of them failed, one spectacularly).

Make that 3 attempts, of which the first failed at the last moment when the lander tipped over after it touched down gently (the same has happened to me on both the Mun and Minmus).

Now to fine tune my lander and rover design so the rovers actually drive out there, and not just on the launch pad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.