What if Dyson Spheres?

Rage097

How do you know KSP doesn't already take place in a Dyson Sphere and all the stars and galaxies in the sky box are not just points of light installed on the inside surface of the sphere to fool the Kerbin's into thinking there's an universe outside?

How do you know KSP doesn't already take place in a Dyson Sphere and all the stars and galaxies in the sky box are not just points of light installed on the inside surface of the sphere to fool the Kerbin's into thinking there's an universe outside?

Because Kerbol escape trajectory.

Such a thing would bring everyones computer to a dead halt :P

One of the best episodes of ST:TNG involved an abandoned Dyson's Sphere though.

Seriously, wtf abandons one of those?

Perhaps they all evolved into a higher form of life (energy or something). Or they all died from a pandemic or something. The civilization would have to be extremely advanced to build it in the first place, light years ahead of the Federation. Too bad the episode dealt mostly with Scotty instead of with the Sphere itself.

Perhaps they all evolved into a higher form of life (energy or something). Or they all died from a pandemic or something. The civilization would have to be extremely advanced to build it in the first place, light years ahead of the Federation. Too bad the episode dealt mostly with Scotty instead of with the Sphere itself.

Character development is easier than researching scientific concepts when you write for tv...

Have you never wondered why the altimeter gets screwy once you 'leave' the solar system? Have you never wondered why some call the stars the 'Skybox?'

We're inside a Dyson Sphere I tell ya! Studied by strange aliens with tiny heads and skin of many colours apart from green! I tell you that not only did they build the sphere but our whole universe, kept trapped in their great construction for their own amusement!

Have you never wondered why the altimeter gets screwy once you 'leave' the solar system? Have you never wondered why some call the stars the 'Skybox?'

We're inside a Dyson Sphere I tell ya! Studied by strange aliens with tiny heads and skin of many colours apart from green! I tell you that not only did they build the sphere but our whole universe, kept trapped in their great construction for their own amusement!

The Dyson Sphere is controlled by an hyper advanced race of aliens. They are humanoid, have pale skin, smaller heads, two eyes, one mouth, one nose, two arms, two hands, and five fingers on each hand and five toes on each of their two feet.

They come from Earth! They come from Sol! They are the Homo sapiens! Beware the humans! Beware! Beware the humans and their technology! Beware! Beware! Beware!

Yes, its proven that the stars are not other suns far away but probably lights on the plane who is the inside of the sphere.

Main question is how far away the inside is and that will happen if you hit it with something real fast :)

Dyson's own words

"A solid shell or ring surrounding a star is mechanically impossible. The form of 'biosphere' which I envisaged consists of a loose collection or swarm of objects traveling on independent orbits around the star."

Another option would be heliostats that use large solar sails to counter gravity.

Such a thing would bring everyones computer to a dead halt :P

As I recall, the star was going crazy. :P Could be wrong though. "You soured the milk!"

It was due to an unstable star if I remember correctly... and that was an anniversary ep too that included SCOTTY and his memorable quote of "So that's how long you told the captain it would take to fix. Now how long will it really take to fix?" (paraphrasing there a bit). Turned out Scotty used to estimate the time a bit more than he needed so he appeared to be a miracle worker when he did it in a shorter amount of time... Classic.

"I canna, break the laws of physics, Cap'n. Unless we are in Kerbal space that is."

I'd to correct you by saying that were not in a sphere, but a box.

Yes, its proven that the stars are not other suns far away but probably lights on the plane who is the inside of the sphere.

Main question is how far away the inside is and that will happen if you hit it with something real fast :)

Hehe I know what I'm doing tonight :cool:

Just what if There was a Dyson Sphere in KSP.

Discuss merits/WTFBBQ? That'll neavah wurk!

Because of lag. Also, you would need millions of launches to make it. Maybe if you had some people work on it for the rest of their lives then perhaps...

If you mean as a already built feature, then if it was round the Kerbal sun Kerbol then solar panels would fail.

Other stars? Then maybe as a cool feature/Easter egg if they introduce interplanetary travel. You wouldn't be able to see it so you would only notice it if it messes up a encounter with another stars.

If you mean as a already built feature, then if it was round the Kerbal sun Kerbol then solar panels would fail.

Not necessarily. Just build solar panels that take advantage of the frequency of the light emitted from the Dyson sphere's exterior at equilibrium.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.