[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

Hello,

I am a noob when it comes to figuring out mods, because I just can't figure how to build a ship to establish a functional base on the Mun, with both launchers, mining facility and all the things.

My guess is that I need to launch separate ships, and put them relatively close (or even docked), but I would love to have hints on how to build those bases.

I do have MechJeb, so docking while in space is a feasible task, but last time I tried to land a multi part ship, it just separated when it touched the ground, so it was not good.

Plus, I found that one part (Kerbal Rocket Workshop, under the 'Pods' section) is a bit strange, because it seems to combine the smelter and Launch pad, as far as I understand it. Might be that I am dumb too.

Hello,

I am a noob when it comes to figuring out mods, because I just can't figure how to build a ship to establish a functional base on the Mun, with both launchers, mining facility and all the things.

My guess is that I need to launch separate ships, and put them relatively close (or even docked), but I would love to have hints on how to build those bases.

I do have MechJeb, so docking while in space is a feasible task, but last time I tried to land a multi part ship, it just separated when it touched the ground, so it was not good.

Plus, I found that one part (Kerbal Rocket Workshop, under the 'Pods' section) is a bit strange, because it seems to combine the smelter and Launch pad, as far as I understand it. Might be that I am dumb too.

Here is the basic way things work: You mine ore with the augur. You smelt that into metal with the smelter. You build the metal into rocket parts with the Rocket Workshop. Then on the launchpad you build a ship out of rocket parts.

You will need to either have multiple parts on the same ship, or dock them together. If the latter, I suggest using the large docking ports for stability.

Kerbal Attachment System is a good way to hook together the parts, as well.

OR if for some crazy reason you don't like KAS, I use FusTek berthing ports I dont use KAS for. They grip a good bit better than the stock one seem to, and they purdy =)

Thanks a lot for the fast answer, I'll go back to the drawing board and make a fleet capable of landing all the parts in a single big thing.

I was getting bored of trying to make a ship that could launch from any planet and get the kethane to orbit anyway, heavy lifters in one piece are still out of my reach it seems, so being able to make bases on said planets and moons will make my job so much easier.

Thanks a lot for the fast answer, I'll go back to the drawing board and make a fleet capable of landing all the parts in a single big thing.

I was getting bored of trying to make a ship that could launch from any planet and get the kethane to orbit anyway, heavy lifters in one piece are still out of my reach it seems, so being able to make bases on said planets and moons will make my job so much easier.

Remember, you can bootstrap (that's a good word) the building process somewhat. All my initial lander has on it is some rocket parts and a landing pad. I build the drilling unit and refineries planet-side.

I think I know how to do it without requiring a port on the ship (and there's a problem with requiring one: needs to be relatively clear). I should be able to attach the dock's port to pretty much anywhere on the ship using a technique similar to what the VAB uses (in case you haven't noticed, docking ports put together in the VAB are not docked, they're attached just like any other part, but ports are magical in that you can decouple them).

Anyway, I'm still thinking about how I want to do it while I iron out a few last obvious issues in the code. Hopefully I can get these fixes in before skykooler releases.

Maybe there should be two ways to create ships? One for orbit, that's more like a orbital factory that requires you to make something dockable with a special docking port like part, and launchpad for planetary/moon launch that requires the use of a special launch tower or something? It might help a bit with some of the issues, and would look more realistic in orbit than a launchpad :)

Maybe there should be two ways to create ships? One for orbit, that's more like a orbital factory that requires you to make something dockable with a special docking port like part, and launchpad for planetary/moon launch that requires the use of a special launch tower or something? It might help a bit with some of the issues, and would look more realistic in orbit than a launchpad :)

Its already been said several times this mod wont support an orbital launch. There is already a mod that does that called Orbital Construction.

Its already been said several times this mod wont support an orbital launch. There is already a mod that does that called Orbital Construction.

That's too bad, as this mod is far superior to Orbital Construction, and using OC would mean yet another resource type :\

Also, Kethane -> Rocket Parts? Yeah, seems a bit simple.

Edited by larsmaehlum

I'm of the opinion that both this Extraplanetary Launchpads mod and the Orbital Construction Redux mod have valid places in my space program.

Besides, the most recent update to Orbital Construction makes it use RocketParts to construct ships instead of SpareParts like it did previously.

That being said, I've encountered a problem when attempting to use them both at (nearly) the same time.

To avoid repeating myself, here's the link to the relevant post by me in the Orbital Construction thread

Okay, Installed the mod, Set parts to debug, the parts are there, I equip them and they can deploy/undeploy. But when i hit Show Build Menu, Nothing comes up, and I can "Hide" the Build Menu. But no actual menu shows up.

Remember, you can bootstrap (that's a good word) the building process somewhat. All my initial lander has on it is some rocket parts and a landing pad. I build the drilling unit and refineries planet-side.

So I put a "Runway" (landing pad I guess?), but all the cans seems to be empty, how do you send rocket parts?

That's something I've been considering (would save the whole issue of figuring out how to setup an orbit), but then I'd have to figure out how to attach one ship to another, especially when the built ship might not have any docking ports.

Use a Decoupler!

You have to mine ore, smelt it into metal and make that into rocket parts.

Ok, so back to the original problem then?

I guess I could try to find an ore deposit on Kerbal, but what Hubbazoot wrote was that there was a way to send parts and a "landing pad" (whatever that is), and build the rest on site.

If I first need to have an already operational base to be able to do it at all, then it kind of defeats the purpose of giving this hint to someone asking about how to establish the first base.

Oh, well, I crashed into the Mun, because I didn't think that something would be as high as 4.8km high, so back to zero anyway.

Urm, any solution for my problem??

You need the updated .dll which you'll fine in the first post on this thread (I missed it too and had the same problem).

Oh, well, I crashed into the Mun, because I didn't think that something would be as high as 4.8km high, so back to zero anyway.

If you are struggling, you may want to try using mechjeb to help you land. There's an automated landing function, or you can do what I do and just use the surface information panel to give you an accurate altitude.

I know, it's just that my encounter put me at 4.8 km, and I thought that I would try to stabilize from there, but I crashed trying, and my auto-save was right before the crash (5s), so that's a dead Kerbal on the Mun instead of an useless ship landed there.

urablahblah: I'm just a happy user of this mod that happens to know his way around programming and git. I had some sever trouble with craft-in-pad on minmus and decided to fix it myself. Kinda got carried away :)

KhaosCorp: that was before I started hacking on the mod }:>. After my brief stint of using Orbital Construction, I very much want to make EL work in orbit too (I prefer EL's concepts).

Zeroignite: (yeah, I'm not skykooler, but...) for the upcoming release, I don't know (I haven't been paying attention to that bit during my testing, I was concentrating on stopping the explosions), but I am, right now, working on resource handing, hopefully for the following release.

First of all i would llike to say this look like a great mod but i am unable to get it to work i have 3 problems

1. When i deploy the launch pad the second status tab in the gui shows nothing and it wont allow me to activate the detector (with the original dll would show idle but could not see build menus).

2. Ships just explode when i build them (i Know this is a know problem but is there any ways that help chances of a launch).

3. Some time it lock the game up in a strange way(it will only allow me to press back then when i get to the main kerbal menu i cant press anything).

I am using the lastest versions of KSP,ELP,Kethane. i have done a clean install of ksp and those are the only mods on it. Have tried with and without the debug mode on. The kethane mod works fine can scan and the drill animations work although havent checked if i actualy get kethane because no close pocket to test.

Any help or advice would be greatly received.