Naval Battle League 2016-2018

2 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Jesus Christ has the entire old crew turned up?! Nice to see this place active again.

I've kind of forgot how to build warships so might not contribute.

Nah, they're purty and work.

12 hours ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

And the D-bag of old designs is back to beat yet another dead horse.

You overstate your ships to an extent too so leave it be.

3 hours ago, Alphasus said:

Sure. I only have one weight class of ship, so I may need to borrow from others. Give me maybe 12 hours, so I can install my new CPU.

I'll set up this time. I'd like to turn quicksaves off to make it a bit more fair if that's okay with you? I work until 7 tonight but I'll set up as soon as I get home.

32 minutes ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

I'll set up this time. I'd like to turn quicksaves off to make it a bit more fair if that's okay with you? I work until 7 tonight but I'll set up as soon as I get home.

Sure, you can turn quicksaves off. My CPU should be set up by then.

4 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Jesus Christ has the entire old crew turned up?! Nice to see this place active again.

I've kind of forgot how to build warships so might not contribute.

Your warships were quite good, and i really liked the style and the fact that through better or worse all of your ships retained your rather unique appearance.  While i myself do it because of the effectiveness, there are too many ships that are basically drek internals with a slight variation on the exterior.

2 hours ago, Spartwo said:

Nah, they're purty and work.

You overstate your ships to an extent too so leave it be.

Well zeke is in a similar situation to me where i have a certain hull that works and everything i tried after it was equal or inferior in most regards.  I kinda have similar issue where i have 1 and only 1 solid hull, that being my class-I corvette series.  All my mainstream AKS warship development has retained the same basic hull style, with 6 sides top/bottom flat external layout.  I guess its just that the layout gives my ships the highest armor to part count/mass ratio, and despite 1.1, i still try to minimize part counts (and lower mass means more guns or fuel which is always nice).  Im still trying new ideas, but like zekes i think im also stuck with armor development in that nothing i create is more effective then my SK-CRV-I line because it is either way higher on part count/mass (and thus i cant justify bringing it over more smaller ships), or has worse protection.

After summer break starts ill have plenty of time to make something new and unique though...  And perhaps ill be able to beat my old designs.

2 hours ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

Why don't you have a battle against zekes after me?

36 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Why don't you have a battle against zekes after me?

By the way, Alphasus, your Multiple missile launcher looked cool so I tried to reverse engineer it... it's got questionalble accuracy but I actually managed to split a battleship with it one lucky shot, and it seems to be effective. I'm just trying to find out how you can kill "any ship" with it when my version is phasing more than it is damaging.

And yeah, I'm down for a battle. I've got 50 ton, 140 ton, and 250 ton vessels ATM.

16 minutes ago, zekes said:

phasing more than it is damaging.

1.1 seems to have increased the amount of phasing substantially.  Ive found the best result using relatively low velocity weapons just used in large quantities (namely ibeam spam).  And by low velocity i mean 200-300m/s relative (compared to the past where speeds above 400m/s were optimal at least vs tough armor).  This seems to be because of the new physics being in multiple cores makes interactions a bit slower then in the past (although the game as a whole runs way better).  If you phase too much lower the velocity of the weaponb and see if it has better results, even my high-end weaponry seems to be very ineffective (luckshots aside) above 300m/s.

EXJA93x.png

Also a change of pace, made actual destroyer now for B-Corp to use in upcoming battle.  Prolly will end up using it as a flagship given how much bigger (and higher on parts) it is compared to most ships i use in KSP.  Completely different build style even to most B-Corp ships (which are smaller and externally use a 8 sided hull with rounded top/bottom).  Sofar it actually hold up against its own weapons well, although given that AKS has far better firepower, we will see how quickly it gets vaporized in the field.

Also, once finals are done (and i make a few more AKS warships), anyone up for a battle (although i dont do super competitive anymore so itll just be for fun who cares who wins and with some actual limitations on what weapons both sides can bring as i really hate every battle ending in utter destruction of enemy ship).

Edited by panzer1b

13 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

1.1 seems to have increased the amount of phasing substantially.  Ive found the best result using relatively low velocity weapons just used in large quantities (namely ibeam spam).  And by low velocity i mean 200-300m/s relative (compared to the past where speeds above 400m/s were optimal at least vs tough armor).  This seems to be because of the new physics being in multiple cores makes interactions a bit slower then in the past (although the game as a whole runs way better).  If you phase too much lower the velocity of the weaponb and see if it has better results, even my high-end weaponry seems to be very ineffective (luckshots aside) above 300m/s.

EXJA93x.png

Also a change of pace, made actual destroyer now for B-Corp to use in upcoming battle.  Prolly will end up using it as a flagship given how much bigger (and higher on parts) it is compared to most ships i use in KSP.  Completely different build style even to most B-Corp ships (which are smaller and externally use a 8 sided hull with rounded top/bottom).  Sofar it actually hold up against its own weapons well, although given that AKS has far better firepower, we will see how quickly it gets vaporized in the field.

Also, once finals are done (and i make a few more AKS warships), anyone up for a battle (although i dont do super competitive anymore so itll just be for fun who cares who wins and with some actual limitations on what weapons both sides can bring as i really hate every battle ending in utter destruction of enemy ship).

Interesting, I figured the fire speed was a bit lower, IE closer shots, which isn't bad. I have to go test my Popper IIs and make sure they work again,( the Structural pylons changed shape and messed it up), but The Mini Drek IIH took a beating in practice...

fEMn6oO.png

CmCaZQq.png

2 hours ago, zekes said:

By the way, Alphasus, your Multiple missile launcher looked cool so I tried to reverse engineer it... it's got questionalble accuracy but I actually managed to split a battleship with it one lucky shot, and it seems to be effective. I'm just trying to find out how you can kill "any ship" with it when my version is phasing more than it is damaging.

And yeah, I'm down for a battle. I've got 50 ton, 140 ton, and 250 ton vessels ATM.

Can't do any ship any more since 1.1. I have found that it bounces off targets significantly more and that the sudden stress imparted by multiple hits onto one spot no longer does as much damage as it used to.

2 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

Can't do any ship any more since 1.1. I have found that it bounces off targets significantly more and that the sudden stress imparted by multiple hits onto one spot no longer does as much damage as it used to.

Ah, makes sense. Like I said I got some lucky shots with mine but sadly it's not reliable enough to use on a ship.

Just now, zekes said:

Ah, makes sense. Like I said I got some lucky shots with mine but sadly it's not reliable enough to use on a ship.

Maybe if you tried decreasing the thrust on the motors and closing range so that you would hit that target speed of 300 m/s, that would stop the phasing. But some phasing is necessary for reliable kills with it, so that you can get one or two missiles to cripple the enemy.

23 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Clipped aircraft gear apparently makes a good weapon. It is super hard to control, but it works. And the hit ship will explode or go flying away really fast while spinning a lot.

If it actually does what you say it does, that would fall under the "exploiting weapons" category and thus be banned from any competitive games.  Same with XL3 wheels (excessive size, odd hitboxes, and near guaranteed death to anything), flamers (at least in 1.0.5 when they instantly destroyed anything you looked at the wrong way), and a few other glitch weapons that abused broken physics to gain an unfair advantage in battle.  Noone likes being 1 shotted, and given how lousy armor is currently (has its uses but nothing can withstand multiple competitive torp hits especially to 1 spot), i think noone would agree to fight you if you were using landing gear exploits.

in other news, i just perfected my SK-CRV-Ig5 which is far from invincible, but at a hull of 140 parts and 50t, i cannot complain.  You get a choice between dV or TWR (nuke/aerospike hybrid drive, lets you get double the TWR of a pure nuke ship for short periods of time while retaining the impressive maximum range of older models albeit at a rather lousy 0.15 TWR).  better dV on nukes when drained of oxy (as both lighter and similar fuel capacity), and almost twice the TWR of the 4th gen when using the aerospike.

9 hours ago, zekes said:

Interesting, I figured the fire speed was a bit lower, IE closer shots, which isn't bad. I have to go test my Popper IIs and make sure they work again,( the Structural pylons changed shape and messed it up), but The Mini Drek IIH took a beating in practice...

fEMn6oO.png

CmCaZQq.png

The Mini Drek II just looks so nice and compact... what's the dV you're getting out of it?

1 hour ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

The Mini Drek II just looks so nice and compact... what's the dV you're getting out of it?

Not as much as I like... I think I'm squeezing 2200-2600 m/s. I might make a stripped version to try and extend range, but for a 50 ton "Corvette" it's tough.

EDIT: Interestingly though, A design I was ready to throw away is actually very tough. It's the Drek XXXIII (33) and it's 100% new hull. Just over 2K d/v and 75 tons. Took 4 poppers from a good shooting range.

PtrBO5x.jpg

Edited by zekes

8 hours ago, zekes said:

Not as much as I like... I think I'm squeezing 2200-2600 m/s. I might make a stripped version to try and extend range, but for a 50 ton "Corvette" it's tough.

EDIT: Interestingly though, A design I was ready to throw away is actually very tough. It's the Drek XXXIII (33) and it's 100% new hull. Just over 2K d/v and 75 tons. Took 4 poppers from a good shooting range.

PtrBO5x.jpg

I know what I must do now...

16 hours ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

Sorry it took so long @Alphasus. I had a longer day than expected. I'll set up. Mind if I ask what CPU you're running now?

As in new or old? New is a Xeon E3 1246 v3, old is an i3 4170. I'm fine with it any time right now, but haven't installed the new CPU. The delay is until the end of the week, and I can deal with some lag until then.

12 minutes ago, Alphasus said:

As in new or old? New is a Xeon E3 1246 v3, old is an i3 4170. I'm fine with it any time right now, but haven't installed the new CPU. The delay is until the end of the week, and I can deal with some lag until then.

Depending on how work is today or this week... It might be up today or tomorrow, No guarantees. Work and school blows.

6 minutes ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

So this is what's taking the campaign series so long. I can't Career or Aero stop...

Sounds like u need to git gud :D

No actually though you can't re enter without heat shields...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.