[WIP v0.1] Wet Workshops - Live inside your fuel tanksâ„¢

NovaSilisko

Um Nova,

You're on leave and while on leave you are modding a new part and plugin for us....sooooo, you really don't need to apologize or even explain for that matter. Lighten up on yourself Buddy and again thank you for creating yet another very cool mod for all of us.

Sorry it's taking as long as it is, had to go out for a couple hours today and have been running into code issues.

Looking awesome and definitely worth waiting for. IRL takes precedence, and besides, there's *always* something when you're coding :D

Anyways, if you're having trouble cramming all the functionality onto the part at one time, you could make it so that there is one partModule that makes the tank "Convertable" and have that be the only thing added in the part.cfg. You could then make any other changes to the part at convert time, such as removing the ability to carry fuel and oxidizer, changing crew capacity, etc. For example, maybe the "Convertable" part module could add a "MidConversion" partModule then remove itself, so you no longer had the option to start the conversion, but now had the conversion underway text.

Conversion is functional. Takes time to do, can be inturrupted by the kerbal leaving the refit module or the refit module being destroyed/disconnected from the vessel. Airlock is successfully toggling. Fuel dump is proving more problematic, as I don't know how I'd directly remove the RESOURCE{} modules from the part without breaking a million things.

Conversion is functional. Takes time to do, can be inturrupted by the kerbal leaving the refit module or the refit module being destroyed/disconnected from the vessel. Airlock is successfully toggling. Fuel dump is proving more problematic, as I don't know how I'd directly remove the RESOURCE{} modules from the part without breaking a million things.

Instead of deleting them completely, you could just reduce the amount of the resources in question to 1% of what it was before and call it emergency supplies. :)

...instead of removing the Resource module you set the capacity to zero instead?

That leaves the possibility that someone would fill the people tank with liquid fuel.

Does this convert the fuel tank to a Hitchhiker type storage can or a command pod?

Would it be possible to make two types of refit modules, to convert to either storage can or pod?

That leaves the possibility that someone would fill the people tank with liquid fuel.

No it doesn't. If the tank has a capacity of zero then you can't pump more than zero units of fuel into it.

Maybe you could modify the resource transfer type for that part only to isolate it from the rest of the ship fuel wise and then drain the fuel out however you please. As long as it's empty and fuel can't get back in, all is well. I looked and it seems really easy to add a resource to a part, but nye impossible to get rid of them. It seems clear that you aren't supposed to be able to remove them at flight-time, though if there's a will there's a way.

EDIT: Part.SetResource(ConfigNode node) looks promising; if I understand how that system works, you should be able to change at flight-time anything that can be set via a cfg file?

Edited by FireStormOOO

I know next to nothing about coding, but how about instead of removing the Resource module you set the capacity to zero instead?

Well, then the game still tries to put resources into it, and the icons still display on the context menu. It looks messy.

Hi Nova,

First, this is going to be a game changer in my opinion once it is implemented. And I may be stating the obvious so if I am forgive me, but perhaps the coding for Crew Manifest might shed some light on the crew in/out issue. I realize that Crew Manifest works because command/crew modules already have crew capacity, minimum crew and the commandpod module in their cfg files, but maybe there is something in that source code that would help you? Again if I'm stating the obvious or am just suggesting something way over my head, please excuse the intrusion.

Problematic. You can put kerbals into the module once it's converted, but there's no "crew hatch" popup when you mouse over it, so you can't get them back out.

Also

UTy46IP.png

Could that be because no interior space has been assigned?

Looking forward to this by the way. Something very new and untried. I like that.

Hmm. The conversions seem to be taking a lot longer than they should. Are there any known issues with TimeWarp.fixedDeltaTime (or just TimeWarp.deltaTime) having some effects like this?

In my case I'm doing:

blah += TimeWarp.fixedDeltaTime

In the FixedUpdate() function. Are there any issues with doing this that would result in the observed problems?

Edit: I set the duration to 60 seconds, and it takes exactly 70 seconds...

Edited by NovaSilisko

The wet workshop mod is a brilliant concept, and I look forwards to it.

More to the point, it just goes to hammer home why I think KSP is one of the most awesome games ever.

In real life, the engineers at NASA were faced with the tyranny of the rocket equation, and came up with the wet workshop concept in an attempt to make the mass devoted to the fuel tank do double duty as a space station component. KSP models this situation so accurately that players are faced with the same problems, and solutions which work in the real world will work in the game as well.

I will also note how many players have independently invented the concept of orbital propellant depots, since the players are faced with the same problems faced by real aerospace engineers.

Majiir may or may not have been inspired by NASA work on in-situ resource utilization when the Kethane mod was invented, but once again the same situation creates similar solutions.

And that is why Kerbal Space Program is awesome.

Edited by nyrath