[1.11.x] RCS Build Aid v1.0.6

m4v

Question out of confusion, does the red torque arrow (the straight one) matter on launch and does the red arrows here indicate a problem with the balance of the engine? Both engines are from NovaPunch, or one may be from KWrocketry. I thought maybe RCS build aid was being confused by the multiple nozzles, but I've tried other multi-nozzle engines and the red arrow doesn't appear there.

Edit: Or maybe the engine that I'm using is simply too big for the rocket?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot17_zpse9mcy4za.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot18_zpsmwkiufsc.png

I means your rocket is unbalanced.

I have encountered a compatibility issue between this and the new Kerbal Inventory System. This causes any vessels saved with a part in a KIS inventory slot to not load properly. Without RCS Built Aid no problem. Screenshots and log included.

Built ship and added part to KIT inventory

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i04qb7ut0n3mnw/screenshot3.png?dl=0

Saved and loaded after adding part, this is result

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi9sdrjj9voyh64/screenshot4.png?dl=0

Log to hopefully indicate what is going on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk8zfv36u927ygr/output_log.txt?dl=0

EDIT: Links rechecked and confirmed to be working now

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at RCSBuildAid.RCSBuildAid.onShipModified (.ShipConstruct construct) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

You're using an old version of my plugin.

Question out of confusion, does the red torque arrow (the straight one) matter on launch
depends of the size of the rocket, if there isn't a circular arrow then it might not be a big deal.
and does the red arrows here indicate a problem with the balance of the engine?

dunno, try to see if there's torque with just the engine and a fuel tank, in your pictures there's a bunch of other stuff attached so it might be just your rocket that is unbalanced and not the engines.

Humm, I must have missed an update. Will try the newest release and see if that corrects the problem.

UPDATE: Have tested with the new version and the problem is no longer present. :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I am trying to make a tug with RCS blocks on extendable legs, so they will point outward when the tug is free and move towards the cargo to compensate a bit for CoM.

The problem comes when I can not use your mod to balance them in extended position.

No matter what position they are in it counts them as default position (see the arrows).

Not sure who should I speak to. You or the creator of the part ?

nZcRX.jpg

Hello.

I am trying to make a tug with RCS blocks on extendable legs, so they will point outward when the tug is free and move towards the cargo to compensate a bit for CoM.

The problem comes when I can not use your mod to balance them in extended position.

No matter what position they are in it counts them as default position (see the arrows).

http://snag.gy/nZcRX.jpg

Just putting in my 2 cents here, but I think this is probably a limitation of Unity/KSP itself. It should be relatively easy to work around the problem, though, here's what you do: Set the RCS arms in the position you want to check them in, then save the craft in that configuration. Leave the RCSBuildAid window running, and just load the craft file back into the editor. The thrust vector transforms should update to the correct locations, and you'll have the information you seek. :) At least, this method has worked for me pretty reliably in the past.

Anyway, I hope this helps! :D

It worked. Kind of. Although since they are with symmetry it counts all as the position of the original part.

I did save/load it with 1 leg down and 3 up.

zVbfo.jpg

Anyway it is a way to work around it so thank you and +rep ;)

Edited by Mapoko

It worked. Kind of. Although since they are with symmetry it counts all as the position of the original part.

I did save/load it with 1 leg down and 3 up.

http://snag.gy/zVbfo.jpg

Anyway it is a way to work around it so thank you and +rep ;)

Oh, well, thank YOU very much! :) Yeah, I hadn't considered that. I think the only way to solve this issue would be to place each part individually, instead of with symmetry. That way each one would be independent according to RCSBA, but I can see how that would be a pain in the @$$ to place them correctly in some cases. In any event, I'm glad I was able to help at least a little. Later! :D

Oh, well, thank YOU very much! :) Yeah, I hadn't considered that. I think the only way to solve this issue would be to place each part individually, instead of with symmetry. That way each one would be independent according to RCSBA, but I can see how that would be a pain in the @$$ to place them correctly in some cases. In any event, I'm glad I was able to help at least a little. Later! :D

You can place them in symmetry and then use StripSymmetry to remove the symmetry while keeping them... symmetrically placed.

Hello.

http://snag.gy/nZcRX.jpg

It would help to know which mod or part are you talking about, I'm not a wizard.

I'm noticing that when I leave the RCS build aid in translation view mode and close the window (as in press the taskbar button to close it, not minimize) and whenever I undo or redo an action, I get spammed by this error until I open and then close RCS buildaid, which I'm seeing through exceptiondetector.

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:GetComponent (System.Type)

at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[ModuleForces] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RCSBuildAid.DeltaV.calcRCSIsp (System.Single& num, System.Single& den) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RCSBuildAid.DeltaV.calcIsp () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RCSBuildAid.DeltaV.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

If I leave it in attitude or engine mode, it's fine.

I'm noticing that when I leave the RCS build aid in translation view mode and close the window (as in press the taskbar button to close it, not minimize) and whenever I undo or redo an action, I get spammed by this error until I open and then close RCS buildaid, which I'm seeing through exceptiondetector.

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:GetComponent (System.Type)

at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[ModuleForces] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RCSBuildAid.DeltaV.calcRCSIsp (System.Single& num, System.Single& den) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RCSBuildAid.DeltaV.calcIsp () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RCSBuildAid.DeltaV.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

If I leave it in attitude or engine mode, it's fine.

thanks, fixed in devel branch.

Hey, I love this mod, not just for RCS but for tweaking any type of thrust producing parts attached to a craft.

But seriously, you should make the debug labels on the force markers (debugLabel in LineRenderer.cs) a main settings option; those are really helpful for people who love seeing the numbers for stuff. I was going to build it from source so I could throw in a simple label, but was pleasantly surprised to find out you had a very nice implementation of the feature I was looking for hidden in the debugging.

Well, it seems to work just fine in 1.0 from a very quick test. :D

--Edit

Well, the log file has this error, but the tool itself seems to work fine in the VAB

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'RCSBuildAidToolbar': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'RCSBuildAid.Toolbar' from assembly 'RCSBuildAidToolbar, Version=0.6.1.27988, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

Seriously? I was hoping I could grief all my users by waiting until the end of exams.

Well, the log file has this error, but the tool itself seems to work fine in the VAB

that's probably because you don't have Blizzy's toolbar, that's normal.

Edited by m4v

Could you post this mod also on KerbalStuff? It will make it easier to integrate it with CKAN mod installer tool.

It has already been integrated into CKAN...there is just no version up and ready for 1.0 yet. Once that is available, it will show up on CKAN.

NO! I won't be updating RCSBA!

Also a pretty please from me.

I guess exams comes first ... but don't you not even have some short minutes left to recompile it against 1.0? (and then update the 1st post that you made a quick dirty recompile)

Anyway good luck with your exams.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.