Mun candidate

8)Just take a look at this ultimate in moon travel comfort. 8)

???Two habitation modules, two reentry capsules, a lander for your lunar excursion needs and plenty of power to spare for all of your additional docking modules (when that is initiated). ???

;DAnother Big Lifter from the workshops of RedRockets! ;D

care to tell me how did you do the long detachable panels? i somehow never managed to put panels on top of each other,and my ships are usually too bulky/cluttered to attach panels directly to hull...

lf33W.jpg

the panels above the orange fuel tank are purely decorative,but i still want to have plating over the entire space stage until its released....

Umm...Where to Start?

First of all get rid of the fins. The look cool but they just de-stabilize your booster.

To get the fairing, it is in the silisko ed. .4 a 2 meter faring and a faring attachment ring. My favorite faring for so many reasons. It is first of all, very easy to place and stack.

On your rocket you should be able to conceal everything above the 3m tank. Just get rid of the 3 to 1 adapter and just place the 2m faring all the way to the top.

Be careful of staging!!

When separating the payload faring use your rcs control to thrust forward - H - on the keyboard and avoid those panels.

Re-assess the first stage, too much weight and off center-line, altogether not worth the weight to boost any significant height. The strap on solids attached to the 3m tank are excess weight as well not worth carrying for the minimal amount of total change in speed attained after firing (delta - v).

Play around with the overview Map while you are burning your motors to visualize how your path of travel changes when you burn your stages.

I will offer this suggestion as well, perhaps lengthen your 3m tank and place a more powerful motor on it (look at silisko he has a 1500 thrust/four chamber/bad ass motor).

SAS and RCS are your best friends!! And don\'t forget your smart SAS module, Computer controlled rockets are the way to go, most are just to fiddly to pilot by hand.

Keep Playing with the game it gets so rewarding as your design skills continuously improve. When you start to visualize everyday objects as parts you could strap to one of your creations it means you have begun a journey with the game which will bring your understating and enjoyment of science and math to new heights.

Best of luck

RRs

PS

The PLFset is another set of fairings...while being harder to work with, they are just as good and even better in some respects because it contains a 3m faring option and a set of bulkheads to attach the faring to. Don\'t get the two confused play with them individually first and learn their characteristics.

When separating the payload faring use your rcs control to thrust forward - H - on the keyboard and avoid those panels.

you can avoid it nicely, if you separate panels one by one, nose first and so

btw i dont know why, when you put them all in one stage, they won\'t separate

Thanks,ill take a look at that fairings/ring, and for the tips...

The reason i was asking is because i wanted to cover the 1/3m adapter-lander section AND the top section,while leaving the fins to stick out of it... the 4 panels unnecessarily too far apart from the hull around the heavy SAS rings are there purely for effect and are meant to be this far away 8) (looks a tiny bit like a FTL drive reactor,does it?)

But... i dont mean to be rude, but that rocket is built to look cool,not be 100% efficient... generally my builds are multi-purpose and that means heavier than necessary, with redundancy in them...

The first stage is 12 liquids built under the solids for ease of operation,they are attached to the solids,best way i could figure out how to attach them... the solids are there because the 2nd stage is built for efficiency, final orbital insertion in stratosphere and above for maneuvering boost before the actual IP craft engines kick in for final adjustment (only gets it up to LKO but the Farseer IP craft recharges fuel anyway). The last stage actually has Aerospike engines in a 7-slot adapter (long slow burn for less weight,but i might take a look at the engine type again now that you mentioned it...). The SRBs on it serve to give it a kick across the highest atmosphere layers (less air drag in that altitude).

As for the fins... yeah they look cool 8) i dont know about stability but this thing flies on SAS alone,i dont have to touch the controls unless i want to change course and it only waves a tiny bit around very slightly without affecting the flight characteristics...

The adapter below the actual lander is there because standard hollow decoupler was not working,dragged the whole thing with it for some reason.... and the other (stronger) adapter is just too big to fit under the lander...

The only single problem i actually had with this ship is that it tended to snap between the lander and the orange fuel tank (at the SAS/RCS tanks) during orbital maneuvers before detaching the last ascent stage, i pretty much fixed that by replacing steel struts with carbon fiber ones,and adding 2 more sets of steel struts :D That was because the whole thing is too thin and top section,being more independent parts,has more RCS than the rest of it... might need some further fine-tuning but it doesnt snap when firing full burn for orbital anymore atleast...

and yeah... sorry for the wall of text ;D

Nova\'s are easier to use since he baked in the exploding bolts.

If you do have Slugs Fairing set, its just an extra step. You still need to use a bulkhead to attach the bolts to, his come with 3 sizes; place it at the bottom of what you want to shroud (usually just below the decoupler which will jettison the stage below.

Next grab an Explosive Bolt and put it on the bulkhead with 4x symmetry. You\'ll want to place it so the bolts line up at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees.

Then grab your fairing wall and attach it in symmetry as well, usually 2x for PLF instead of 4x for Nova\'s. If you placed the bolts too far 'in or out' on the bulkheads diameter, there will be gaps like in Thunder\'s screenshot, but all you have to do is grab the bolt and drag it in or out to adjust it and they\'ll line up.

After that, its easy to stack more walls, and finally the nose cones above each set of fairings.

By the way, you never need to open the shrouds if you don\'t want to. You can simple jettison the nose cone and detach whatever decoupler you were using down there. You can then use RCS 'forward' to pull out of the cylinder just like they did it with the Moon missions (minus the turning around and docking with the module part, for now :P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.