Planets and ScaledSpace.

I am working on a custom planet. After much labor it works pretty well. But it doesnt show up in the map or the tracking station. The orbit and the dot work but the planet mesh itself is not showing up. I have (I think) tracked the problem down to it not being included in the ScaledSpace GameObject. I have tried half a dozen ways to add it with no luck. Has anyone done this before? I need some tips.

Edited by astronutkhillips

I am working on a custom planet. After much labor it works pretty well. But it doesnt show up in the map or the tracking station. The orbit and the dot work but the planet mesh itself is not showing up. I have (I think) tracked the problem down to it not being included in the ScaledSpace GameObject. I have tried half a dozen ways to add it with no luck. Has anyone done this before? I need some tips.

If anyone else had succeeded in adding more planets, I dare say they would be out there as mods already. If you can accomplish this plugin many people would be grateful.

After much labor it works pretty well.

Do elaborate! Did you somehow manage to reverse engineer how PQS assembles planets?

Tomorrow when I'm not as brain-dead I might try to help you with the scaled space issues. In short though, you need a scaled space mesh that represents the planet in the map view - it needs a scaledmovement component tied to the big planet, and a specific shader so it correctly fades out when you get close. Speaking of that, it also needs a scaledspacefader component. There's lots of stuff required to make it work...

I got stuck here as well. *edit: I attempted my suggestion didn't work, let's leave that at that hah*

Edited by Razchek

It's not impossible. There's just a few things that have to be met before a planet is created. Just a matter of replicating what is already there for an existing planet. Creating new star systems however doesn't seem plausible just yet.

It's not impossible. There's just a few things that have to be met before a planet is created. Just a matter of replicating what is already there for an existing planet. Creating new star systems however doesn't seem plausible just yet.

Sure it's plausible...as long as the second star system actually orbits Kerbol at some huge distance, it would work like Jool and it's moons.

Can you land on the planet?

Do elaborate! Did you somehow manage to reverse engineer how PQS assembles planets?

I think I understand the PQS mods enough to be dangerous. So far I have just been working with PQSMOD_VertexPlanet as that seems the simplest.

Tomorrow when I'm not as brain-dead I might try to help you with the scaled space issues. In short though, you need a scaled space mesh that represents the planet in the map view - it needs a scaledmovement component tied to the big planet, and a specific shader so it correctly fades out when you get close. Speaking of that, it also needs a scaledspacefader component. There's lots of stuff required to make it work...

That would be awesome. :) And that info certainly helps. I think I got the mesh but I haven't done anything with scaledmovement and maybe that is the problem. Or it could be drawing but faded out. I'll poke at more tonight.

So far I have a small rocky planetoid in a polar orbit around the Mun. I call her Bogy. And yes you can land on it. And even better, if you quit the game and reload your ship is still there on the surface and not a puff of smoke or drifting in empty space.

So far I have a small rocky planetoid in a polar orbit around the Mun. I call her Bogy. And yes you can land on it. And even better, if you quit the game and reload your ship is still there on the surface and not a puff of smoke or drifting in empty space.

Could you please post a screenshot? That sounds awesome!!!

The first thing I would want to do with this is recreate the Solar System at actual scale. Hopefully it's possible to delete other planets and edit Kerbol to make it more like the Sun. Then all of the mods that make the physics more realistic (FAR, Modular Fuel System, etc.) would no longer break the game.

I would be very grateful for a description of how you created that additional body "Bogy", or a link to an example in a repo (via PM if necessary).

I think I understand the PQS mods enough to be dangerous. So far I have just been working with PQSMOD_VertexPlanet as that seems the simplest.

I saw that code but couldn't quite figure out what to do with it so kudos to you good sir. I'm still hacking at it.

I saw that code but couldn't quite figure out what to do with it so kudos to you good sir. I'm still hacking at it.

VertexPlanets are nice because you don't need textures. Minmus will show you how to assemble a VertexPlanet.

Edited by astronutkhillips

VertexPlanets are nice because you don't need textures. Minmus will show you how to assemble a VertexPlanet.

I saw vertex planet but didn't see where minmus comes into play.

Edited by sirkut