[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

Hi everyone,

Please find below a link to KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool Pre-release 9.  Changes in this version:

• Added initial orbit epoch and mean anomaly to the Multi-Flyby Maneuver Sequencer input; should improve targeting of maneuvers.
  • Fixed a bug with the algorithm that adjusts departure time to account for mean anomaly and epoch in the "Compute Departure" tool.
  • Fixed a bug with MFMS "Get Orbit from SFS File" functionality

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29126891/KSPTOT_v155_prerelease9.zip

Can all of you fine folks who were having issues with MFMS in RSS let me know if using the "mean anomaly" and "epoch" fields helps now?  Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, Arrowstar said:

Can all of you fine folks who were having issues with MFMS in RSS let me know if using the "mean anomaly" and "epoch" fields helps now?  Thanks! :)

I've tried it at the pioneer 11 window and it still gives weird results. This burn usually requires around 6800 dv prograde and 2000 or 3000 normal -  (can't remember exactly) departing from a 28.6 degrees orbit. This time I did put a vessel on an equatorial orbit using the simulator.

Here's a screenshot:

Spoiler

g9sEPy1.png

Yet I want to try to launch a rocket to the typical inclination of KSC and see the results, updates coming soon

Edited by Epox75

1 hour ago, Epox75 said:

I've tried it at the pioneer 11 window and it still gives weird results. This burn usually requires around 6800 dv prograde and 2000 or 3000 normal -  (can't remember exactly) departing from a 28.6 degrees orbit. This time I did put a vessel on an equatorial orbit using the simulator.

Here's a screenshot:

Hide contents

g9sEPy1.png

Yet I want to try to launch a rocket to the typical inclination of KSC and see the results, updates coming soon

The massive plane change maneuver required suggests that you didn't start in the correct orbital plane.  Take a look at that and see if adjusting Inc or RAAN makes things better.

22 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

The massive plane change maneuver required suggests that you didn't start in the correct orbital plane.  Take a look at that and see if adjusting Inc or RAAN makes things better.

Yes, lauching at the Pioneer 11 window and the right inclination gave me quite different results. I usually don't use RAAN because it is so variable and I don't know which value it is going to have at the moment of the burn:

Spoiler

SRqFVBB.png

Much better but still got far from target. Sorry for the image with no numbers it's the historian mod. Anyway the maneuver was reaching Jupiter very far and earlier (572 days vs 606) than Pioneer 11. The correct burn requires at least 2000 normal - more, less prograde and to be started at a different time. With RAAN selected from the active vessel, the result got me even farther

Spoiler

uegYfT5.jpg

Edited by Epox75

5 minutes ago, Epox75 said:

Much better but still got far from target. Sorry for the image with no numbers it's the historian mod. Anyway the maneuver was reaching Jupiter very far and eary (572 days vs 606) than Pioneer 11. The correct burn requires at least 2000 normal - more, less prograde and to be started at a different time. With RAAN selected from the active vessel, the result got me even farther

Can you explain this part a bit more?  What do you mean?

27 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

Can you explain this part a bit more?  What do you mean?

I mean that using the result that MFMS gave me got me quite far from what I was expecting. I did Pioneer 11 many times also using Transx in Orbiter 2010 and I know for sure that the burn requires much more Normal - velocity, a bit less prograde and to be started at a different time (or use of radial velocity). 

And using RAAN from active vessel the result was this:

Prograde Delta-V =              6403.668 m/s
Orbit Normal Delta-V =          -3350.040 m/s
Radial Delta-V =                0.174 m/s

This time Normal- is too high and prograde too low. I was getting to Jupiter much later than pioneer 11 did.

Anyway I never got perfect results using MFMS I use it mostly to look for launch windows and to have an idea about the periapis and inclination I must reach at a target planet to perform a gravity assist.  

Edited by Epox75

2 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

RAAN should not be variable at all. Sounds a lot like you were in the wrong orbital plane.

Yeah my mystake, I noticed is not variable. I was used to see it changing a lot while in circular/equatorial orbit around kerbin so i've never took it as reference. In RSS is different.

No I wasn't in the wrong orbital plane because i've launched from KSC at 2:11 UTC of the 4th of April 1973 (Pioneer 11 Launch date and time) and the headed to 90.

With RAAN selected the burn values are closer to what I was looking for but still I was getting too far from Jupiter and too slow. Without RAAN selected still far and too fast. Anyway I've never seen an application (Alexmoon Launch window planner - transfer window planner - mechjeb) giving me perfect results from an ejection burn, maybe I should start to learn Mission Architect and see what happens if I put the Mass of vessel into account. 

Edited by Epox75

Well, if you headed 90, I guess it doesnt matter when you launched, as far as that has no effect on your orbital plane.

Mission architect, used correctly, even without putting the mass of the vessel in, will give you perfect results. Exactly.

Still, if you are in an equatorial orbit, then the RAAN is fairly negligible.

I'm having trouble with "Create new bodies file from KSP" (for RSS). 

I followed the instructions on the first post to install the MCR 2015b, download the latest KSPTOP zip and extract it, copied KSPTOT connect folder into GameData and then restarted my computer (just in case).

Launched KSP and went to vessel in Earth orbit. Alt-Tab to desktop launched KSPTOT and tried to "Create new bodies from KSP". 

Got an error box - "There was an error pulling data from KSPTotConnect. Is KSP running in the flight scene with the KSPTotConnect plugin loaded?"

Here's the relevant section of the KSP output log showing it's trying to send the data:

Spoiler

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[KSPTOT Connect] accepted connection [0] from IP: 127.0.0.1:13712

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[KSPTOT Connect] new connection

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] received complete message head

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] data Size: 0

[KSPTOT Connect] message from [0]: GetCelestialBodyData n 0

[KSPTOT Connect] about to handle msg

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Sun

[KSPTOT Connect] Sun: 9

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Sun

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Earth

[KSPTOT Connect] Earth: 40

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Earth

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Mercury

[KSPTOT Connect] Mercury: 0

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Mercury

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Venus

[KSPTOT Connect] Venus: 38

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Venus

[[[SNIP - repeating lines for other bodies]]]

[KSPTOT Connect] Transmitting Data Of Length: 11662

[KSPTOT Connect] Transmitting Data Of Byte Length: 93296

[KSPTOT Connect] about to close stream

[KSPTOT Connect] about to close connection 0

[KSPTOT Connect] Shutting down message receiving

[KSPTOT Connect] waiting for writing thread to terminate

[KSPTOT Connect] Shutting down message sending

[KSPTOT Connect] Closing socket

[KSPTOT Connect] Removing disconnected connection 0

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] SOCKET ERROR 10004 A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] thread terminated

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][WRITING] thread terminated.

I also tried using the Pre-release 9 exe linked further up the post but that made no difference.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

7 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

Still, if you are in an equatorial orbit, then the RAAN is fairly negligible.

True, but in RSS, launching into an equatorial plane will put you at a severe disadvantage when you start going interplanetary.  You do need to be inclined somewhat, and because of that, your Earth orbit RAAN will really make or break your departure delta-v.

5 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I'm having trouble with "Create new bodies file from KSP" (for RSS). 

I followed the instructions on the first post to install the MCR 2015b, download the latest KSPTOP zip and extract it, copied KSPTOT connect folder into GameData and then restarted my computer (just in case).

Launched KSP and went to vessel in Earth orbit. Alt-Tab to desktop launched KSPTOT and tried to "Create new bodies from KSP". 

Got an error box - "There was an error pulling data from KSPTotConnect. Is KSP running in the flight scene with the KSPTotConnect plugin loaded?"

Here's the relevant section of the KSP output log showing it's trying to send the data:

Reveal hidden contents

[KSPTOT Connect] accepted connection [0] from IP: 127.0.0.1:13712

[KSPTOT Connect] new connection

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] received complete message head

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] data Size: 0

[KSPTOT Connect] message from [0]: GetCelestialBodyData n 0

[KSPTOT Connect] about to handle msg

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Sun

[KSPTOT Connect] Sun: 9

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Sun

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Earth

[KSPTOT Connect] Earth: 40

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Earth

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Mercury

[KSPTOT Connect] Mercury: 0

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Mercury

[KSPTOT Connect] Start Body: Venus

[KSPTOT Connect] Venus: 38

[KSPTOT Connect] End Body: Venus

[[[SNIP - repeating lines for other bodies]]]

[KSPTOT Connect] Transmitting Data Of Length: 11662

[KSPTOT Connect] Transmitting Data Of Byte Length: 93296

[KSPTOT Connect] about to close stream

[KSPTOT Connect] about to close connection 0

[KSPTOT Connect] Shutting down message receiving

[KSPTOT Connect] waiting for writing thread to terminate

[KSPTOT Connect] Shutting down message sending

[KSPTOT Connect] Closing socket

[KSPTOT Connect] Removing disconnected connection 0

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] SOCKET ERROR 10004 A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][READING] thread terminated

[KSPTOT Connect] [CONNECTION][0][WRITING] thread terminated.

I also tried using the Pre-release 9 exe linked further up the post but that made no difference.

Not sure what to tell you, to be honest.  The log you showed suggests that everything went fine up until the end.  Are you trying to run on Windows?  What hostname did you use?

3 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

So basically, our poster was in the wrong orbital plane then, if he needed any normal DV. So thats that sorted then.

That's my theory, yes.  Would need to play with it more to verify.

15 hours ago, Epox75 said:

No I wasn't in the wrong orbital plane because i've launched from KSC at 2:11 UTC of the 4th of April 1973 (Pioneer 11 Launch date and time) and the headed to 90

So heading to 90 was one mistake, because Pioneer 11 didnt enter an equatorial orbit at all. It used a direct ascent to earth escape velocity. It also did so on the 6th of April, not the 4th. Unfortunately, I have not as yet been able to find details of its keplerian orbital elements during that ascent after engine cutoff. I have found several conspiracy theory websites though.

9 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

Not sure what to tell you, to be honest.  The log you showed suggests that everything went fine up until the end.  Are you trying to run on Windows?  What hostname did you use?

I'm on Windows 10 running both KSP and KSPTOT on the same machine. Not sure what you mean by "hostname" in this context. The IPAddressWhitelist.txt file contains both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 (current actual IP address on local network).

Edit: just before submitting the above comment I decided to try creating the bodies file again (another failure). Then started looking around in KSPTOT to see if there were any settings or configs I'd missed (there weren't). Finally I tried using the "KSP Real Time System" menu to "Upload maneuver" (it worked).

Then tried creating the bodies file one last time - lo and behold it worked this time!

Don't know if any of that information will help you or others figure out why it didn't work initially since other than it not being the first thing I did after opening KSPTOT, I didn't do anything different that I can see.

Well all's well that end well and all that. Thanks for trying to help with my problem. Now time to dig into the tutorials.

11 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

So heading to 90 was one mistake, because Pioneer 11 didnt enter an equatorial orbit at all. It used a direct ascent to earth escape velocity. It also did so on the 6th of April, not the 4th. Unfortunately, I have not as yet been able to find details of its keplerian orbital elements during that ascent after engine cutoff. I have found several conspiracy theory websites though.

Ok let's make clear a couple of points.The first time I have tried the new version of KSPtot I used KRASH a simulation mod. That mod puts you straight in an equatorial orbit and then I've got weird results. The second time I launched the rocket from KSC (Kennedy Space Center) - Cape Canaveral, at the Pioneer 11 window,  headed to 90 degreess and reached the typical 28.6 degrees inclination that you reach launching from there. 

So once in orbit I did every necessary to plan the Pioneer 11 flight: I wanted KSPTot MFMS to find me a trajectory that would bring me to Jupiter in 606 days and to Saturn 1733 days after Jupiter. So I did put these values, got the orbital values from the active vessel and tried to plan the flight, once with RAAN and once without, just to see both results together. The result with RAAN as I said was closer to what I was expecting but still I had to put my hands on the maneuver node, correct it and set the gravity assist to Saturn Manually and I managed to do so without problems.

Spoiler

f16hoP8.png

I find KSPtot MFMS to be a great application, It finds launch windows for gravity assist and gives important information about the altitude and inclination to reach on a target body in order to perform a slingshot, but when it comes to use the values that MFMS gives you, the maneuver in game is always incorrect and needs manual tweaking... every single time.

Edited by Epox75

On 7/30/2016 at 6:32 AM, Epox75 said:

I find KSPtot MFMS to be a great application, It finds launch windows for gravity assist and gives important information about the altitude and inclination to reach on a target body in order to perform a slingshot, but when it comes to use the values that MFMS gives you, the maneuver in game is always incorrect and needs manual tweaking... every single time.

That's correct, yes.  MFMS, like just about every mission analysis tool for KSP that exists today, is based upon two limitations that greatly simplify the math.   These are:

1. Local spheres of influence are zero-sized (have no radius).
  2. All maneuvers are impulsive.

Compare this to "real life" (that is, in KSP itself).  KSP has finite, non-zero-sized spheres of influence and all maneuvers require finite amounts of time.  The former limitation, the sphere of influence size, is what is making your maneuver nodes require adjusting.  Your actual execution performance is diminished by the impulsive maneuver assumption.

So in fact what you've discovered here is not that KSPTOT or MFMS have a flaw, but instead that they have limitations that are inherent in even "real life" tools used by professionals in the industry (such as myself!).  If you want to get around this, then you need to use a tool with higher fidelity.  MFMS is what I would call a "medium low" fidelity tool: it models the big picture well and even takes into consideration some basic constraints like not clipping the atmosphere as you flyby planets or moons.  However, "medium low" fidelity tools are rarely fit for actual spacecraft operations, as you've discovered.  Operations work requires higher fidelity tools that consider more complicated aspects of the physics.

Luckily, KSPTOT comes with such a higher fidelity tool!  It's called Mission Architect ("MA") and it's designed to model spacecraft orbits and maneuvers at the same level of fidelity that KSP simulates them.  This means that what MA does should occur in the exact same way in KSP.  It doesn't get better than what I've created with Mission Architect.

You have a few options at this junction regarding how to proceed.  You can, first, stay with a strictly "MFMS" approach with the understanding that you'll need to adjust the DV vector and time of the maneuver node in order to achieve what you want .  This is the lower effort solution.  The higher effort solution, option two, is to do your high-level mission analysis with MFMS and then begin replicating the same mission in KSPTOT Mission Architect.  In this case your work flow would look something like this:

1. Use MFMS to find a flyby sequence you like and want to execute.
  2. Open Mission Architect, attempt to model the mission from (1) using impulsive maneuvers.
  3. Convert the impulsive maneuvers to finite duration maneuvers (one at a time, re-optimizing the mission as you do so in order to meet constraints).
  4. Upload finite duration maneuvers to KSP and execute.

You'll probably end up spending somewhere from a few hours to a day or two on these steps, depending on how complicated your mission plan is.  Unfortunately there's no real way around it, this is basically how complicated it is in the "real world" too.  Luckily Mission Architect does come with a few tutorials that you would probably have some luck with trying out to get the hang of it.

Anyway, that was a fairly long-winded answer to your statement, sorry about that!  Let me know if you have any questions. :)

On 7/30/2016 at 4:51 AM, Aelfhe1m said:

I'm on Windows 10 running both KSP and KSPTOT on the same machine. Not sure what you mean by "hostname" in this context. The IPAddressWhitelist.txt file contains both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 (current actual IP address on local network).

Edit: just before submitting the above comment I decided to try creating the bodies file again (another failure). Then started looking around in KSPTOT to see if there were any settings or configs I'd missed (there weren't). Finally I tried using the "KSP Real Time System" menu to "Upload maneuver" (it worked).

Then tried creating the bodies file one last time - lo and behold it worked this time!

Don't know if any of that information will help you or others figure out why it didn't work initially since other than it not being the first thing I did after opening KSPTOT, I didn't do anything different that I can see.

Well all's well that end well and all that. Thanks for trying to help with my problem. Now time to dig into the tutorials.

Glad you got it working.  Have fun!

I use Linux and, as a result, I realize that I am outside of the normal user base for KSPTOT.

That being said, I followed in the instructions on the OP and got KSPTOT to run however I'm getting some strange results...namely that the text for message boxes and all of the graphs are rendering both upside down and backwards which makes them difficult to read to say the least...see the below screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/LUO3q

Thanks for any help!

Edited by gruneisen

On 8/1/2016 at 9:46 PM, gruneisen said:

I use Linux and, as a result, I realize that I am outside of the normal user base for KSPTOT.

That being said, I followed in the instructions on the OP and got KSPTOT to run however I'm getting some strange results...namely that the text for message boxes and all of the graphs are rendering both upside down and backwards which makes them difficult to read to say the least...see the below screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/LUO3q

Thanks for any help!

I'm having this same problem, it took forever to find the right combination of wine packages to use and now that I finally have I'm excited to use this, but unfortunately it's almost unreadable... I tried changing wine to others windows versions but it strangely only works in Windows XP, 2003, Vista, or 2008 mode. Windows 7 or newer gives the error message "Could not successfully parse URI string." Hope that information helps...?

Wow, everything's backwards.  That's a new one certainly!  I'll be honest, I have no idea.  I've never run KSPTOT on Linux and it's not really supported as such (though happy to help answer questions as best I can).  Do you have any ideas?

"Could not successfully parse URI string."

I've never seen this one before, sadly.  Is there a ksptot.log file next to the executable that contains this error message?  Can you paste the contents of it here if so?

12 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

Wow, everything's backwards.  That's a new one certainly!  I'll be honest, I have no idea.  I've never run KSPTOT on Linux and it's not really supported as such (though happy to help answer questions as best I can).  Do you have any ideas?

I've never seen this one before, sadly.  Is there a ksptot.log file next to the executable that contains this error message?  Can you paste the contents of it here if so?

In fact there is! Here:

Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Assertion detected at Wed Aug 03 17:03:23 2016

Configuration:
  Crash Decoding      : Disabled
  Crash Mode          : continue (default)
  Current Graphics Driver: Unknown software
  Default Encoding    : windows-1252
  Host Name           : <snip>
  Java Crash Report   : <snip>
  MATLAB Architecture : win64
  MATLAB Root         : C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90
  MATLAB Version      : 8.6.0.267246 (R2015b)
  OpenGL              : software
  Operating System    : Microsoft Windows XP Professional
  Processor ID        : x86 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
  Virtual Machine     : Java 1.7.0_60-b19 with Oracle Corporation Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM mixed mode
  Window System       : Version 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

Fault Count: 1

Assertion in void __cdecl `anonymous-namespace'::mwJavaAbort(void) at b:\matlab\src\jmi\javainit.cpp line 1356:
Fatal Java Exception.  See Java Crash Report for details.

Register State (captured):
  RAX = 00000000fe9f2f01  RBX = 0000000008133ac0
  RCX = 0000000008133490  RDX = 0000000000000000
  RSP = 0000000008133000  RBP = 00000000fb0cc720
  RSI = 00000000fe9e2f30  RDI = 00000000fe9f2f80

R8 = 0000000000000000   R9 = 0000000008200000
  R10 = 00000000fe9e2f80  R11 = 00000000fe9e2f80
  R12 = 000000006f2bba66  R13 = 00000000081340d0
  R14 = 00000000fb0cc720  R15 = 0000000008134578

RIP = 00000000fe80462a  EFL = 00000206

CS = 0033   FS = 0063   GS = 0000

Stack Trace (captured):
[  0] 0x00000000fe80462a C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00083498
[  1] 0x00000000fe800ee4 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00069348
[  2] 0x00000000fe8008db C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00067803
[  3] 0x00000000fe8040be C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00082110
[  4] 0x00000000fb06c037 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\jmi.dll+00573495
[  5] 0x000000006ef77b6d C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02390893
[  6] 0x000000006ef60ad8 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02296536
[  7] 0x000000006ef788e6 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02394342
[  8] 0x000000006ef7c2d8 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02409176
[  9] 0x000000006f013a48 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+03029576
[ 10] 0x000000007bc9913b                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00495931
[ 11] 0x000000007bc996cc                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00497356
[ 12] 0x000000007bc99a44                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00498244
[ 13] 0x000000007bc940da                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00475354 raise_func_trampoline+00000002
[ 14] 0x000000006ed824b4 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00337076
[ 15] 0x000000006ed95a85 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00416389
[ 16] 0x000000006ed96fdf C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00421855
[ 17] 0x000000006ed9794c C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00424268
[ 18] 0x000000006ed9799d C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00424349
[ 19] 0x000000006ed9849d C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00427165
[ 20] 0x000000006ed98ba9 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00428969
[ 21] 0x000000006ed9d9fa C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00449018
[ 22] 0x000000006eda0d9e C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00462238

If this problem is reproducible, please submit a Service Request via:
    http://www.mathworks.com/support/contact_us/

A technical support engineer might contact you with further information.

Thank you for your help.** This crash report has been saved to disk as <snip> **

MATLAB is exiting because of fatal error

It's not a big deal since it works in XP mode. Of more concern is the backwards text but I guess we're gonna need a linux expert for that one. Maybe if you're using a different font or text formatting for those areas we could try reinstalling that? Or maybe if you're feeling really generous you could make a linux version with different text formatting... :D

3 minutes ago, ruiluth said:

In fact there is! Here:

Hide contents

Assertion detected at Wed Aug 03 17:03:23 2016

Configuration:
  Crash Decoding      : Disabled
  Crash Mode          : continue (default)
  Current Graphics Driver: Unknown software
  Default Encoding    : windows-1252
  Host Name           : <snip>
  Java Crash Report   : <snip>
  MATLAB Architecture : win64
  MATLAB Root         : C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90
  MATLAB Version      : 8.6.0.267246 (R2015b)
  OpenGL              : software
  Operating System    : Microsoft Windows XP Professional
  Processor ID        : x86 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
  Virtual Machine     : Java 1.7.0_60-b19 with Oracle Corporation Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM mixed mode
  Window System       : Version 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

Fault Count: 1

Assertion in void __cdecl `anonymous-namespace'::mwJavaAbort(void) at b:\matlab\src\jmi\javainit.cpp line 1356:
Fatal Java Exception.  See Java Crash Report for details.

Register State (captured):
  RAX = 00000000fe9f2f01  RBX = 0000000008133ac0
  RCX = 0000000008133490  RDX = 0000000000000000
  RSP = 0000000008133000  RBP = 00000000fb0cc720
  RSI = 00000000fe9e2f30  RDI = 00000000fe9f2f80

R8 = 0000000000000000   R9 = 0000000008200000
  R10 = 00000000fe9e2f80  R11 = 00000000fe9e2f80
  R12 = 000000006f2bba66  R13 = 00000000081340d0
  R14 = 00000000fb0cc720  R15 = 0000000008134578

RIP = 00000000fe80462a  EFL = 00000206

CS = 0033   FS = 0063   GS = 0000

Stack Trace (captured):
[  0] 0x00000000fe80462a C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00083498
[  1] 0x00000000fe800ee4 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00069348
[  2] 0x00000000fe8008db C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00067803
[  3] 0x00000000fe8040be C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\libmwfl.dll+00082110
[  4] 0x00000000fb06c037 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\bin\win64\jmi.dll+00573495
[  5] 0x000000006ef77b6d C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02390893
[  6] 0x000000006ef60ad8 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02296536
[  7] 0x000000006ef788e6 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02394342
[  8] 0x000000006ef7c2d8 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+02409176
[  9] 0x000000006f013a48 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+03029576
[ 10] 0x000000007bc9913b                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00495931
[ 11] 0x000000007bc996cc                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00497356
[ 12] 0x000000007bc99a44                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00498244
[ 13] 0x000000007bc940da                      C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll+00475354 raise_func_trampoline+00000002
[ 14] 0x000000006ed824b4 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00337076
[ 15] 0x000000006ed95a85 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00416389
[ 16] 0x000000006ed96fdf C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00421855
[ 17] 0x000000006ed9794c C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00424268
[ 18] 0x000000006ed9799d C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00424349
[ 19] 0x000000006ed9849d C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00427165
[ 20] 0x000000006ed98ba9 C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00428969
[ 21] 0x000000006ed9d9fa C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00449018
[ 22] 0x000000006eda0d9e C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Runtime\v90\sys\java\jre\win64\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll+00462238

If this problem is reproducible, please submit a Service Request via:
    http://www.mathworks.com/support/contact_us/

A technical support engineer might contact you with further information.

Thank you for your help.** This crash report has been saved to disk as <snip> **

MATLAB is exiting because of fatal error

It's not a big deal since it works in XP mode. Of more concern is the backwards text but I guess we're gonna need a linux expert for that one. Maybe if you're using a different font or text formatting for those areas we could try reinstalling that? Or maybe if you're feeling really generous you could make a linux version with different text formatting... :D

Well that's a new one.  Unfortunately this represents an internal MATLAB error and not a normal run-time error, meaning something went wrong deep down inside the MCR. 

I wish I could build a Linux version but that requires a license for the Linux version of MATLAB which I don't have.  For now, we'll have to rely on workarounds as best we can.  Hopefully someone with Linux can help investigate! :)

7 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

Well that's a new one.  Unfortunately this represents an internal MATLAB error and not a normal run-time error, meaning something went wrong deep down inside the MCR. 

I wish I could build a Linux version but that requires a license for the Linux version of MATLAB which I don't have.  For now, we'll have to rely on workarounds as best we can.  Hopefully someone with Linux can help investigate! :)

I'm wondering if it would work better if the text was reformatted in the same format used in the areas where it looks fine. That would at least tell us if it's the formatting that's causing it to turn inside out.

Here's a side by side comparison. I don't have a lot of experience with programming but it seems that maybe it's something to do with the sections in the window...

Spoiler

fEhylId.png

Edited by ruiluth