KSCM XD-4L Dropship Design Challenge

Hello Challenge Participant!

We here at Beyland-Kutani Corporation are in the process of making the Kerbol Star System a better, safer place to live. Our extensive colonization process has given rise to our peacekeeping force-the Kerbal States Colonial Marine Corps. These ladies and gentlemen are obsessed with the safety of our colonies and the investment they represent. As a result, we here at Beyland-Kutani Corporation are insistent they receive the finest hardware the lowest bidder can provide so,

Hello lowest bidders!

We're farming out the development of a new Dropship platform codenamed "Cheyenne" to you! This rough-and-tumble ship/tactical command vehicle must be capable of several things, so here's the design document:

-Single Stage to Orbit

-Stable atmospheric flight

-Basic orbital flight (i.e. RCS thrusters)

-Capable of dropping off the M577 Armored *ehem* Pretty Sturdy Personnel Carrier, and then departing

-Capable of docking with a larger "mother ship" in orbit (i.e. docking capabilities)

-Hold the M577 PSPC securely in its bay both before dropoff and after pickup

-Must be able to return to orbit with the M577. Leave no Kerbal behind!

The M577 PSPC must do the following:

-Be able to maneuver around the roughest terrain the Kerbol System has to offer without any unintended disintegration or transaxle failure. If it does-game over man!

-Be able to survive an encounter with **REDACTED** for at least **REDACTED** or until reinforcements arrive.

-Hold at least four kerbals, not including crew (of which there must be at least one)

Thank you for participating! At Beyland-Kutani We're Building Better Worlds-won't you help?

--

Okay. Real life KSP stuff. Basically I just watched Aliens for no reason and got really hyped over the dropship. It's happening more and more with the sci-fi and me copying it in KSP. My Viper MkII was a disaster :(

Points will be awarded thusly:

-Entry into the competition by completing the craft, taking it into orbit, taking photographic proof, and then landing, dropping off your cargo. (I'm assuming there will be no sizable change in mass in the rover/apc so that doesn't enter into it)

-10 points for every Kerbal over 4 you can wedge into the rover. Seated comfortably in a chair or a capsule, basically encapsulated.

-250 points for a VTOL design

-250*(1/n) points if your craft can do the trip n times. Without refueling. (That means ground, orbit > 70km, ground, orbit > 70km. That's 2 times. Don't have to dock)

-1000 points for using Ferrams Aerospace and Deadly Reentry. Both or none. This also means that the custom parts you use have to be FAR modified.

Special Awards

"Hang on, we're in for some chop!": 50 points if your Dropship pilot kerbal is wearing rad aviator sunglasses.

"A bit twitchy": 25 points if your Dropship can be piloted entirely from a ground station. Another 25 if you design an android Kerbal.

"Nuke it from orbit": 10 points for each individual weapons system on the craft/rover (I don't want to make this a military challenge because I know people don't play like that, but I have to acknowledge it)

"Rollercoaster ride to heck": There will be a point prize awarded to everyone based on reentry times (write down the MET you make your deorbit burn, then write down the MET when you land. Quicker is better. Haven't worked this out yet.)

"In the pipe, five by five": 250 points for designating a landing zone, -1 for every meter you are away from your target. (Mechjeb or some such might be needed for this one)

"Power Loader": 100 points for offloading the vehicle towards the direction of the cockpit (fore)

"Mistaken for a man": 250 points. Style. My discretion.

"Well that's just great": 100 points. Best fail. Entry into the contest at my discretion.

"Cryosleep": 250 points. All stock. (is that even possible holy crap)

RULES:

-Mods are okay except for one. As long as they're balanced. I reserve the right to deny any mods (please list with your entry)

-There's a mod out that gives you the Cheyenne and I think the APC. No dice. Make your own entry people.

-No Kerbal Attachment System mod. The winch thing. Nope.

-No rigid airships, derigables, zeppelins, whatever. Rocket power baby (that being said, sabre and jet power is fine intra-atmos.)

-All of these are based on no refueling. So no kethane/etc.

-You can dock or strut in the SPSC, but it needs to be just as stable on the way back up. (I'm going to use quantum struts)

Prize! If you win/top 10 entries will get a neato campaign ribbon with the devices of the awards you won. Winner gets a lucrative corporate contract...and something else cool. *looks around* (TBD)

Is this the longest challenge text ever? Probably! Have I done this challenge yet? Nope! I'll get back soon with my entry. Good luck!

Edited by Fortunateson1969
More awards/prize

I just built the dumbest thing ever. Perhaps trying to duplicate the Cheyenne directly isn't such a great idea.

http://imgur.com/n7pU21w

Yup those sabres in the back are basically pointed at the ground.

EDIT: Oh man and it's only getting dumber...

oh jeeez

5e7b6p.gif

Haha just kidding. Your mod and the rest of your wares look very fine my good Ser Devo, but there's just a certain appeal in me building it myself :)

EDIT: Heck-Enter your craft Devo-it'll serve as a advertisement for it if you so desire :P

I was planning on doing a SSTO version of my Sherpa drop ship at some stage, is that the sort of thing you're looking for?

Cupcake... :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29151-Every-Spaceport-should-have-one-of-these-does-yours

Wow dang pretty much. That flies really nicely. I'd love to see your rover design...

I'm afraid Rover design isn't my specialty, :( I think I'd be better off just providing the drop ship part of the equation. I've started work on a new SSTO utility drop ship but I'm afraid it'll take a week or so at least until I have the ship tuned/balanced to my liking, hopefully it'll be worth the wait though... :)

Cupcake...

Wow dang pretty much. That flies really nicely. I'd love to see your rover design...

I've got a small one up and running, I don't think it'll qualify with just four total in the rover but adding another can or outside seat just didn't look good. It's a single stage that can make orbit and back once (maybe get back to orbit if I fly a more efficient ascent) on two small sabre's, the omni-wheels raise/lower the dropship to dock to the top of the APC. It can't VTOL but I may be able to work that in.

iyas.png

p6mc.png

wqh.png

e427.png

un0x.png

2nsi.png

hGjDpGz.jpg

Although it can make into orbit and back with a rover or to the Mun without cargo I'm afraid this design didn't meet my required standards for handling and stability (I'm a bit of a perfectionist)... So I'm afraid it's off to the scrapheap with it, shame really, I was getting quite attached to it. ;.; I'm going start work on another design when I get a bit of time which will incorporate some of more successful elements of this craft while hopefully addressing some of its shortcomings. So yes, I'll hopefully see you here again soon. :)

Cupcake...

I present my take on the Cheyenne Drop Ship w/M577

60+ tons w/rover 57ish w/o

lv76.png

p31e.png

ydd.png

bktm.png

i4f7.png

cwdd.png

c9lq.png

81k.png

i9k.png

zw6.png

It's not finished or completely refined but as you see it now, it is capable of:

Stable Atmospheric flight. (only flown with FAR).

VTOL take off and landing with APC inside or without.

Normal take off and landings with or without APC.

Achieving a 100+km orbit SSTO with 1000+dv remaining with APC.

Docking capability and RCS control.

Can unload and reload APC. Drive straight out to unload. Back up to reload.

Cargo bay also has 8 jump seats for reinforcements or rescue missions.

Rover Specs:

Computer or Kerbal control.

5 seats, 4 being safe from bugs.

Nuke powered + some batteries & head lights.

Good handling and ground clearances.

Rugged.

Will go where ever if you drive it like you should.

MODS:

MechJeb

Pwing

B9

KW

TV

FAR

*Its like 255 parts combined and it lags, which makes me sad, but it's not that laggy.

Edited by Cinocal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.