[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I unfortunately haven't been able to get it working either. From what I can tell the parts are actually loading into the game but the plugin itself is not loading. I have tried both career and sandbox mode, with and without other mods, and new save file(s) without any luck.

Tested the beta for a few minutes now, and the only things that seem to me not to work are VTOL rotor joints (which rotate along an axis perpendicular to what it should), and the hydraulic cylinder (which also moves along a wrong axis).

Have you tried tweaking the cfg files? It sounds like that might be something easily rectified by adjusting the rotateAxis and translateAxis values, respectively.

BETA VERSION OF 0.14

A LOT IS STILL BROKEN. BACK UP YOUR SAVED GAME

I can't stress this enough. I did minimal testing on parts to landerCabinSmall. Some things on the probeStackLarge will act strange, parts of it popping in weird orientations. Attaching some robotic parts to others greatly misbehave(ie. closed hinge on top of a closed hinge will misbehave sometimes. TPS piston on another will act fine most of the time.

this is for testing only not for playing. your mileage will vary and please, don't share this with the entire world right now. Let's keep it in the forum as I don't read other forums/reddits currently due to my busy schedule and if someone has a problem I will not know about it. Find issues, please let me know with photos, craft file of the photo, and hopefully keep the mods to a minimum when testing. I appreciate it. I'm most likely going to rewrite the SetupJoint method (which causes parts to POP when the setup is wrong) as I begin to understand how all this is put together.

SOURCE

Parts+Plugin (You will need to overwrite all your parts with these, if using Dromoman's pack, you will need to swap the CFG's rotateAxis settings.

ok i knew you were gonna do a beta but do a beta AND a fix for dromomans parts? now your just being god-like!

kerbal please, you fix this fantastic mod and then apologize for it? dont be ridiculous. the mere fact that theres an update to be forgetting to put things in is great!

keep up the good work

Fix is putting I loosely. There is a lot of work to do to fix the goofy issues already discovered(some I already knew.) ;)

Great to see this working again. I had a look at the source a few days back and managed to get some of it working back then, but gave up when things moved along the wrong axes depending on how many parts I used and if they were attached to something that moved.

Tested the beta for a few minutes now, and the only things that seem to me not to work are VTOL rotor joints (which rotate along an axis perpendicular to what it should), and the hydraulic cylinder (which also moves along a wrong axis).

A few more tests show that a stack of rotatrons behave weirdly. Using a single rotatron to rotate stuff seems to work great, but place two on top of each other, and weirdness ensues. First, the moving part on the second rotatron (furthest from the root part) will pop to another location. Placing some other part between the two rotatrons seems to make things work. Craft files: (working stack of two rotatrons with something between), (stack that shows popping behavior)

Also, mounting a single rotatron upside-down on a root part makes the root part rotate and the 'root' of the rotatron stay still. This may very well be a limitation of the engine, but Sirkut should be in a better position than me to explain. Craft file.

I first had some problem getting the mod to load, as it seems to require Toolbar to be installed.

But now, the time is 06:38 and I should have been in bed for a long time. Will play more with this when I wake up again, and maybe take a look at the source again. Can't wait to see it all working again - thank you, Sirkut!

Some of those behaviors I already knew about. I never did fix the VTOL engine CFG. That's a simple fix. Thanks for testing!

I updated the link to the beta post to include the toolbar. I hope this help others in their frustration only to be frustrated with the bugs that are present. Today is a new day and I'll be tackling more bugs. Thanks to everyone so far with their help!

I can't tell you how happy it makes me seeing these parts in the part list again.. :D

Anyway, I noticed that if you make multiple groups of servo, it seem like if you put more than two servos in a group, it disables highlighting on the primary group. Adding more groups doesn't have any more effect, either on the primary group or any above or below it. Hard to explain and you wanted pictures anyway, so:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I don't know if this would change with other parts, but I'm guessing it would, as it seems to be a bug with the base code. Also, when we go to launch, we get this:

bfcQYfY.png

I don't even know.

Craft file here.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

The Hydraulic Cylinder is not moving in the wrong axis, it's moving in the correct axis from a wrong origin point.

What I mean is that it moves "in and out" correctly, but instead of extending the "arm" from the "cylinder body", it sucks it'self into the body. I'm not sure but I think it might be a cfg thing...

kerbal please,...

lol I see what you did there ;)

Agreed with what you said though.

As for the toolbar plugin, the IR button showed for me, but it didn't hide the interface.

My experience with it, on a rocket I already had running around Kerbin, the hinges I use are all, wonky I guess is the term, but I knew that might be a thing going in, as I have two hinges attached to each other. It's funny because the centers of both the hinges are roughly on top of each other, as if the two merged together. I assume that is what is meant by misbehave? lol I can send the ship if needed but I figure you already knew about this problem. I thought I had a screenshot of this but doesn't look like it, but I can grab one if need be.

Fortunately they work just enough (with a lot of clipping through the capsule) to where I can move the cubic struts I have, although the plan I had for them doesn't seem to be working (asteroid pushing), but thats not an IR problem lol. I did do a test, as a last resort, and because I'm using KAS I can transfer/attach the chutes I have on the rocket to the tiny asteroid I'm chasing. Two radial chutes are enough to slow it down so it doesn't disappear lol

The MK2 Rotatron doesn't have bottom stacking node (did it before? I never used it).

Never had one. Always was a surface attachable item.

Ignore the toolbar bug for now. I'm not interested in fixing that or paying attention to it. I'm more concerned with getting the parts working.

ObsessedWithKSP. This is a known bug for the system. It's something I'm working on. thanks for the craft files. I'll be using all those that submit crafts as part of my QA testing. Thanks!

Katateochi,Haven't seen you in a while. I love the builds and videos you post using this mod. I would love to get my hands on one of your 23.5 builds using a fixed version of this mod in the future, as well as enjoying new videos of them.

Regards,

Thanks man! Yeah life's been hectic, not had time to build missions like that recently :( Got some plans in the pipe but its taking me ages!

@Temeriki, troyn123, Sma and others who commented on my vid a few pages back. Thanks guys!! :)

A new test version!! Awesome stuff sirkut, KSP just aint the same without this mod! Well that's the end of me getting any work done this afternoon! I'll try to break test it and report my findings later.

Thanks man! Yeah life's been hectic, not had time to build missions like that recently :( Got some plans in the pipe but its taking me ages!

@Temeriki, troyn123, Sma and others who commented on my vid a few pages back. Thanks guys!! :)

A new test version!! Awesome stuff sirkut, KSP just aint the same without this mod! Well that's the end of me getting any work done this afternoon! I'll try to break test it and report my findings later.

There's a guarantee you will break something. :)

Pops? Incorrect rotations and ******* hinges? This sounds like the perfect time to build that kerbal Geddan mech I've been planning! :)

Seriously, lovely mod. Even at it's most spasmodically beta it's head and shoulders over other mods in terms of the world of possibilities it creates. Thank you, sirkut.

I'm not sure how many new bugs I'm finding because I'm sure I didn't use IR to its full extent in 0.23 so apologies if you already know any of this, but weird things happen when you attach stuff to the ends of the Gantry Rail...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also on the gantry rail, the lower grey attachment box thing is off to one side and also doesn't reach the end (which is odd because it's an Alt-click copy of the top one which does)

Yhd4dLt.png

And I'm not sure if this is a bug with IR or KSP, but in IVA, the view remains resolutely in the middle of the craft i.e. it's not where it shoudl be - you can see the shadow of the capsule in the top right

7Ht8wn0.png

Craft file.