[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

There's a guarantee you will break something. :)

Do you have public repository available somewhere?

Update: found already

Edited by r40k

The powered hinges, hydro cylinders, and the rota-dock washers work fine. just made a quick solar panel array on a mk 2 can which would work great with that panel deployer mod.

predeploy_zps5362a463.png

deployed_zps4d66001a.png

array_zpse37799cc.png

Edited by Deceptus

Powered hinges don't work for me too, they seem to move on a different axis - the surface attached part stays put, but the second part of the hinge moves "around" the surface part, instead of opening and closing motion.

Glad to see significant progress is being made its great when mod authors maintain their thread actively or atlas tapas on the torch when they know their leaving unlike some *cough* *cough* *Bac9*

Its Bac9's mod he/she can do or not do what ever the hell they want.

Powered hinges don't work for me too, they seem to move on a different axis - the surface attached part stays put, but the second part of the hinge moves "around" the surface part, instead of opening and closing motion.

If you would like for me to make any progress, do what others have done and submit a craft file. maybe even a picture but keep the parts purely stock.

Its Bac9's mod he/she can do or not do what ever the hell they want.

Just because they have a *right* to disappear without passing on the code to someone who wants to maintain it, doesn't make it any less of a jerk thing to do.

Just because they have a *right* to disappear without passing on the code to someone who wants to maintain it, doesn't make it any less of a jerk thing to do.

Exactly if you know your leaving at least let someone else take the reins don't just throw it away and prevent people from continuing it with copyrights

If you would like for me to make any progress, do what others have done and submit a craft file. maybe even a picture but keep the parts purely stock.

Sorry, I know the procedure, just assumed it's a known issue.

Unfortunately i cannot reproduce the bug with when I surface attach the hinges with the same degree settings on a stock craft.

Here are a few screens though:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fyj2s8g9jibvmh8/ANCVwV-GJt

I will try to make a similar attachment position from stock parts and if it is bugged again - I will post the craft file.

Sorry, I know the procedure, just assumed it's a known issue.

Unfortunately i cannot reproduce the bug with when I surface attach the hinges with the same degree settings on a stock craft.

Here are a few screens though:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fyj2s8g9jibvmh8/ANCVwV-GJt

I will try to make a similar attachment position from stock parts and if it is bugged again - I will post the craft file.

No worries, just making sure.

If people can try something for me. Try attaching a closed hinge to various parts and let me know the ones that cause the joints to pop. I know the large probe core does funny things but with the landercan it doesn't. Right now it's a mystery but I do have time today to do some battling.

New test cases:

Putting an adjustable rail on a hinge makes the rail go in the wrong direction (180 degrees rotated). This seems to be the case regardless of the rotation of the rail. Craft file.

Two hinges on top of each other breaks the second hinge, in a manner similar to that of rotatrons in the same configuration (see my previous post). Adding a part between them fixes this behavior. Adding such a part does not fix the rail problem described above.

Another example of the IR part on IR part problem occurs with a hydraulic cylinder on a hinge - the piston part of the cylinder pops a little to the side. Craft File.

I also had a problem where one hydraulic cylinder moved in the right direction, and two others - mounted differently - moved in a very wrong direction. Replacing non-stock parts on that fixed it though, and I've been unable to recreate the problem. :(

Mounting a hydraulic cylinder upside-down causes... unexpected launches. Worth watching. Craft file.

The gantry rail variant will move the part that's attached to the root along with the rails (craft file) or will pop if mounted upside down (thus dispelling my hope that I'd simply attached it inverted). Craft file.

Hope some of this helps, and please do tell if there's anything specific I can do. Sadly, grokking the source will likely be slower than just prodding things and showing you the results, but do tell if you think it might be worthwhile.

These will work thanks! I'm still figuring out how the joints are popping and how to resolve it. These test cases will help as when I think I got I done I will run through all those submitted.

Did some testing with the closed hinges - one hinge on top of another causes a interesting movement where the moving part of the 'outer' hinge rotates about the axis of the 'inner' hinge at double velocity, after popping. Craft file.

With Probodobodyne HECS, OCTO or QBE, I get popping with the large closed hinge, not the medium or small one. Also, it seems to be rotating in the opposite direction of what the others do. A clue? Craft file.

With the Stayputnik probe or the Probodobodyne OCTO2 (the flat one), the medium and large hinges pop, while the small hinge does not. Craft file.

The thing these parts have in common, as far as I can see, is mass. When the hinge is heavier than the part it's attached to, it pops. I hope I'm wrong in this, as it doesn't make sense to me, but testing with non-stock parts give the same results.

M-1x1 Structural Panel makes the large hinge pop, the others not. Cubic octagonal strut makes them all pop. Craft file.

Testing with other hinge types, I get the exact same behavior with Open Powered Hinges, Closed Powered Hinges, Powered Hinges and Powered Hinges 90 Degrees. For all hinge types, attached to different parts, I have not experienced popping when the hinge was lighter than what it's attached to, and always experience popping when it's heavier or the same mass.

The exact same rule seems to hold for attaching rails to hinges - if the hinge is lighter, the rail moves in the wrong direction. Craft file showing both behaviors.

These will work thanks! I'm still figuring out how the joints are popping and how to resolve it. These test cases will help as when I think I got I done I will run through all those submitted.

If I proceed to download this beta and I already have IR on a space station .... will this breath new life to my station or corrupt the station? I mean all you did was make sure that the joint system is now compatible with your mod? Thanks for your hard work btw!

If I proceed to download this beta and I already have IR on a space station .... will this breath new life to my station or corrupt the station? I mean all you did was make sure that the joint system is now compatible with your mod? Thanks for your hard work btw!

I would advise against such action, as some parts may 'pop' - that is, suddenly move and perhaps even rotate - into or away from your craft, when the physics starts working. Making a backup of the save should work, of course.

It's not even fixed and I highly advise not doing this for your space station. In fact I frown upon it for now. This is only for puttin parts on other parts an seeing what it does.

This is what I've found so far. I'm testing in a mostly stock 0.23.5 install, I just have MechJeb, crew manifest and hyper-edit present.

- sounds sometimes carry on playing after you stop holding keys. btw I don't often use the interface, I always bind keys and use those and this problem doesn't seem to occur when using the interface. It's not a big issue (and I think it was actually there in the last version). You just have to tap they key again to make it stop. It's only annoying when you have a ton of groups and you're not sure which one is still humming!

- The hydraulic cylinders go the wrong way, setting them to be inverted doesn't change it. The telescopic pistons work fine. In these pics (excuse my silly test craft) I've got a set of telescopic pistons and two cylinders in one group, one of the cylinders is inverted. First pic shows the setup in the SPH, 2nd pic is after fully extending the pistons, note how one cylinder (the non-inverted one) has moved inside itself while the other (the inverted one) hasn't moved. The 3rd pic is after retracting the pistons fully. the inverted cylider is now inside itself. So that's the correct behaviour for the invert option, just the cylinders are moving the wrong way.

kdeTFr2m.jpgbZBSQE4m.jpgEh8BTxvm.jpg

(click pics for full size)

- putting a docking port on the end of a set of robotic parts works perfectly (thank-you that means a lot to me!).

- regular timewarping works perfectly, even when the robotic parts are under a load.

- physics timewarping causes robotics parts to behave like rubber. It's really noticeable on extended arms with a heavy load. They then snap back violently when returning to normal speed.

- no power drain and parts still carry on working in a craft that is without power. (parts correctly stop working on un-crewed craft that don't have probe cores.)

This was the test craft for the above points

mHrwe72l.jpg

craft file

- free moving washers appear to have a motor (but don't make any sound) and won't move freely.

X9dxz1wl.jpg

craft file

-in a simple test of all the hinges and all the powered rotators (except the two big ones) they all seem to work fine. The only thing to note was the smallest IR Rotatron (1/4) needed to be flipped over to mount it with the same orientation as the other two. That resulted in the opposite direction of movement in this test. It's not that it doesn't work, its just a case of "one of these things is not like the others"!

ZeFXdPCl.jpg

craft file

-The Big IR rotatron works fine, this crazy thing actually worked (and also proved that changing the speed values works fine too);

bBLW7dEl.jpg

craft file

- More stupid idea testing; a pogo stick, worked as intended! (further confirmation of on the fly adjustable speed settings and also setting action group controls).

x6AZm35l.jpg

craft file

But it did remind me about a bug from before to do with command chairs. Basically if a craft has a command chair and IR parts then if the Kerbal in the chair gets hit they will go limp and from then on you can't make them leave the seat, ever. That bug (or something similar) was also introduced into pure stock in 0.23.5 but they fixed it in a patch, so there might be a solution if Squad will share it with you.

pic of incapacitated Kerbal;

0rlvwKel.jpg

-the VTOL rotator, rotates on the wrong axis. Certainly made flying a test VTOL an interesting experience!! It also didn't seem to like having parts attached to it using symmetry (but then that is one of the most finickity aspects of the editors).

HupamRzl.jpg

craft file

symmetry attachment not working;

iNT37WEl.jpg

- toolbar; in the game scene it doesn't toggle the interface. In the editors it works as expected.

I hope that is of some use to you. I've not done any tests with the gantry or adjustable rails as I'm not very familiar with those. I will do more testing and let you know what else I find.

It great to see this being worked on and your efforts are GREATLY appreciated!!

I have a request about the free moving washers, but I'll ask you about that later once you're not swamped with other bug reports!

Try removing the hydros, flipping them in space, then reattaching them. It could be something I noticed (that fixed it) and didn't think twice about it. Or, you could have another problem entirely, which may be an error in the .cfg file.

katateochi. You just made my day with that pogo stick! I died laughing. Thank you so much for all your testing and craft files! If you redownload the plugin I fixed the VTOL rotatron, you can also fix the smaller hinge if I did it do it right by changin the rotateAxis values around.

In the VAB, hinges are attached correctly:

oxu5nBR.jpg?1

On the launchpad:

IUffjO6.jpg?1

Beams are now turned around 180 degrees, with the hinge sections separated until the hinges are motored to extend the beams. Beams with dishes remain turned the wrong way when deployed.

Are these the hinges that are not yet updated/fixed?