[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

The free moving washers are so useful, check out the off-road suspension I fitted to this truck :D

aqbGgRYl.jpg

It's just a bit wobbly in turns and I cant strut it obviously. I need free moving rails and/or gantry's to strengthen the whole affair. Is there any way I can make that happen?

Edit: I looked through the cfg files and I don't see something that would control if something has a motor or is free moving...

Edited by the_bT

The free moving washers are so useful, check out the off-road suspension I fitted to this truck :D

http://i.imgur.com/aqbGgRYl.jpg

It's just a bit wobbly in turns and I cant strut it obviously. I need free moving rails and/or gantry's to strengthen the whole affair. Is there any way I can make that happen?

Edit: I looked through the cfg files and I don't see something that would control if something has a motor or is free moving...

You need to compare the docking washer and the docking washer free to see the difference...

free moving washer has these lines:

jointSpring = 0.0000001

jointDamping = 0

motorized has:

jointSpring = 0

jointDamping = 0

be sure not to have the other fields in the non motorized version like sndPath, etc. You'll see the difference.

Thanks for the help! I did compare them, but I was not sure if the difference between the jointSpring values was related to the motorized-ness (that a word? Oo)

Thanks for the help! I did compare them, but I was not sure if the difference between the jointSpring values was related to the motorized-ness (that a word? Oo)

how about uncontrolled. :)

Note that free moving parts are unbounded. For rotatrons this is fine, but for a rail or gantry it means the connection point could move off in one direction and never stop. You have been warned :P

Note that free moving parts are unbounded. For rotatrons this is fine, but for a rail or gantry it means the connection point could move off in one direction and never stop. You have been warned :P

Yeah I figured that and I think I can deal with it. I still struggle to get that far though :P

{
// --- general parameters ---
name = GantryExtraSmallFree
module = Part
author = Sirkut & Zodius

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1.0
rescaleFactor = 0.1

specPower = 0.1
rimFalloff = 3
alphaCutoff = 0

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_topright = 6.18, 0.69, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_topleft = -6.18, 0.69, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_center = 0.0, -0.05, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_platform = 0.0, 0.65, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_bottomleft = -6.18, 0.21, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_bottomtopright = 6.18, 0.21, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = specializedConstruction
entryCost = 0
cost = 100
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Gantry Rail 1/4 (Freemoving)
manufacturer = Magic Smoke Industries
description = Attach parts. They move back and forth as they please.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3000
breakingForce = 999
breakingTorque = 999

// toggle parameters
MODULE
{
name = MuMechToggle
translateJoint = True
translateAxis = 1, 0, 0
keyTranslateSpeed = 0.30
translateLimits = True
translateMin = -0.5
translateMax = 0.5
translateLimitsRevertKey = False
jointSpring = 0.0000001
jointDamping = 0
onActivate = False
translateKey =
revTranslateKey =
fixedMesh = Base
invertSymmetry = False
servoName = GantryRail free
}
}
PART

I basically just copied the smallest gantry, changed name and description and all that, set jointSpring to 0.0000001 and removed the stepIncrement and motorSndPath lines. The gantrys behaviour remains unaffected though. I either missed something or it doesn't work like this...

How do I make parts for IR? I was thinking about doing something similar to dromoman.

Nvm, just saw the link to the tut.

Edited by Robotengineer
Should have checked the bottom of the thread.

I love this mod and I just want to share one of my favorite creations that uses it

http://imgur.com/a/KQE8L

Now there's a neat idea. Your comment about it doing barrel rolls on reentry gave me an idea. I'm thinking something along the lines of a drop-ship with wings that fold up close to the body and are deployed after reentry once it's slowed down enough. Almost Aliens drop ship style except the first half folds down and the second folds under. The way you set it up as a mobile refueling point and refinery definitely gives it a nice purpose. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Now there's a neat idea. Your comment about it doing barrel rolls on reentry gave me an idea. I'm thinking something along the lines of a drop-ship with wings that fold up close to the body and are deployed after reentry once it's slowed down enough. Almost Aliens drop ship style except the first half folds down and the second folds under. The way you set it up as a mobile refueling point and refinery definitely gives it a nice purpose. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Yes it's a complete one stop shop for everything refueling!

Also I've done the folding wings thing already on a F4U Corsair replica and it looked great in pictures, but the actual flying was not good. The IR parts have very weak nodes so I just couldn't get hinges strong enough to keep the wings from being extremely floppy.

Node strength is also what made my Osprey a nightmare

rPUVHti.jpg

[...] I either missed something or it doesn't work like this...

It seems it indeed doesn't work like this. I just looked through the source and found this

if (translateJoint)
{
joint.xMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Free;
joint.yMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Free;
joint.zMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Free;
}

if (rotateJoint)
{
//Docking washer is broken currently?
joint.rotationDriveMode = RotationDriveMode.XYAndZ;
joint.angularXMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Free;
joint.angularYMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Free;
joint.angularZMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Free;

// Docking washer test
if (jointSpring > 0)
{
if (rotateAxis == Vector3.right || rotateAxis == Vector3.left)
{
JointDrive drv = joint.angularXDrive;
drv.positionSpring = jointSpring;
joint.angularXDrive = drv;

joint.angularYMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Locked;
joint.angularZMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Locked;
}
else
{
JointDrive drv = joint.angularYZDrive;
drv.positionSpring = jointSpring;
joint.angularYZDrive = drv;

joint.angularXMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Locked;
joint.angularZMotion = ConfigurableJointMotion.Locked;
}
}
}

The code for linear servos doesn't check the jointSpring value as it currently would not need to because there are no free moving linear servos. My understanding of this Configurable Joint business is pretty limited though...

Edit: I'm reading the unity documentation on configurable joint, wouldn't it be possible to make free moving joints use the joint drive mode "None" instead of "PositionAndVelocity". They might even lock and respect their limits then. I think they really should to be honest :P

Edited by the_bT

Well I have the standard tweakable ui, the tweakable ui utilzing KSPAE, and now I'm working on a full blown editor to see how much I like this method. The process is slow because I hate dealing with the GUI in unity. ZodiusInfuser, before you say anything, hush. :)

uZ6rHsM.jpg

Edited by sirkut

I was having some trouble with the MediaFire link. Popups galore (in chrome!) and false downloads. Sometimes the site randomly downloads a "setup.exe" instead of the desired file. Usually this happens when the download fails for whatever reason when clicking the green download button.

edit: also I am using adblock plus! this shouldn't be happening!

Anyone who is having problems, just keep reloading and clicking the green button. The "repair download" button did work for me actually (it sounds like more scummy advertising stuff but apparently isn't).

Sirkut, I would recommend moving to another file distribution site, maybe DropBox or Google Drive?

I'm having a problem when I dock a craft with IR hinges on it. I've attached a few screenshots to demonstrate the problem:

http://imgur.com/a/sMbwL

Here's a quicksave file: (mods: TAC life support, mechjeb, scansat, IR).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4FpBZGNqMMIUElQUXo3cllsYWM/edit?usp=sharing

The first time this happened was when I docked my spaceplane to my space station with a robotic docking arm that folds out from the cargo bay. After undocking, i wanted to fold the docking arm away, but the hinge froze and the arm was moving in a weird way, it also caused my spaceplane to spin out of control. I closed the cargo bay to keep the docking arm from flying away because it looked like it wasn't attached to the hinge any more. When I time-accelerated, the docking arm magically flew away from the spaceplane, only to fly back like a boomerang and crash into the spaceplane when I turned off time-acceleration.

Did you read this message in the OP?

Do not dock two crafts together with docking ports attached to pistons/hinges. Sure it's cute but it will screw up one of your craft's joints and will do really crazy things. It's a bug, I know about it.

Did you read this message in the OP?

The OP doesn't say anything about hinges though:

Do not dock two crafts together with docking ports attached to pistons. Sure it's cute but it will screw up one of your craft's piston and will do really crazy things. It's a bug, I know about it.

Scott Manley did this with his space shuttle in this episode, so I figured hinges would be OK:

http://youtu.be/sLeA0xrf06k?t=17m36s

The OP doesn't say anything about hinges though:

Scott Manley did this with his space shuttle in this episode, so I figured hinges would be OK:

http://youtu.be/sLeA0xrf06k?t=17m36s

Might be worth moving that warning a bit further up the OP. I came here just now to report the exact same thing and was thinking it should have worked based on that video.

Might be worth moving that warning a bit further up the OP. I came here just now to report the exact same thing and was thinking it should have worked based on that video.

It won't make a bit of difference. I could out it in bold at the very top and I will get reports through here and PMs. No fault of them. It's goin to happen anyway.

Hi, can anyone help me?

Before you answer the following question, bear in mind that I had to delete the 000_Toolbar folder because it was causing a kraken to rip apart my spacecraft for no apparent reason when using a MechJeb manoeuvre node.

How do I remove these Servo Control windows? They appeared after I deleted the Toolbar folder. I don't need them since I only use the hinges for up/down and they are already mapped to the 0-9 buttons.

503356499A9AE4EAC7F8407A3F569F97A90A0F45

You can't. No toolbar then buttons are on-screen all the time.

From OP:

If you hate the Toolbar plugin, good news. Delete it and you will be forced to have the servo control window up at all times.