[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

But if his magic code works, no matter how crazy, everything is fine :) I hope he is not having too much trouble with his new floor in the house.

I enhancd and debugged the weldingplugin, it was not nice. :(

I posted in the stationpart thread.

Flooring was complete 2 weeks ago. Right now I'm just busy with awesome family stuff right now. It's the good kind so no fretting.

That does nothing for Infernal Robotics.

Actually they should help because what KJR does is loop through all the joints of a craft and strengthen them, what it does however, via the config file, is ignore the actual joint within the infernal robotic part. I did hardcode the joint strength to be unlimited (but it had separate from a crash.) Nothing will fix the sagging of the joints.

Nothing will fix the sagging of the joints.

If you measure the settable limits from both sides of center and the problem is with the center slipping under strain, thus both settable limits slip the same direction... don't depend on an undependable position marker.

How about setting each end limit measuring from the "physical" default end limit positions which should be hard coded in the parts somewhere? Re-zeroing the center setting could be done by either measuring from each default end limit or the zero could be set to the center of the settable limits by subtracting the "physical" limits from the set ones then splitting the difference.

A similar method should work to re-set pivot axes that have been pulled out of place. The parts start out with that in a defined relative location, so it should be known where the pivot must be in relation to at least two, preferably three, other known and fixed points on the part. If that relationship does not match what the numbers say it should, move it back.

Think of it like a CNC machine tool. There's two ways to control the positions. Open loop and closed loop.

With open loop the direction commands are sent out and you have to expect that no immovable obstacle is in the way or that the material isn't so tough that the motors are stalled. When that happens, commands get "lost" and the machine operates with things out of the expected position until it is re-zeroed.

With closed loop there is feedback from rotary encoders, linear scales or other sensors so the controller always knows exactly where the machine parts are. If something gets in the way, the controller can stop before something breaks. If the feed rate bogs it down the controller knows it and will will either just keep commanding the move until the cut is finished or it'll slow down to not stress the machine.

Coming up with a way to close the control loop on Infernal Robotics should fix all the issues with slipping limits and axes getting pulled out of place.

Closed loop would be nice.

What is really needed is a few touch sensors, just like micro-switches... so you could tell when your robotic device has made contact with something. As it is, we can only move blindly, or interact through a reaction like sensing when the device is stopped by an object, or when it's tipping over.

My latest challenge is to develop a PID for my Nasa Athlete model. It turns out steering and driving around is a cinch. But making it level itself on hills will be a real challenge.

6funSoV.png

Oh, and wheels! When is someone going to make some wheels that mount on a vertical pinion? I'm going to have to model some myself I think.

Cheers!

Good work guys!

Edited by Dr_Goddard

so, i'm using .19 and when using parts like the powered hinges they work well with one another and interact well with other parts from stock and mods in the vAB but as soon as i launch that stops, they only move as expected if attached to another IR part, the hinge for example will "rotate" but instead of moving whatever it's supposed to move, it twists itself on the node that's attached to the ship. this leaves most ship to ship operations useless for me, is anyone else here experiencing similar symptoms and if so how did you work around them, if ever.

Poofer,

That sounds like the parts are attached backwards. It can be difficult to tell which way they should go, but any time the wrong part of the hinge or piston moves, try attaching it the other way around. If that doesn't solve the problem, could you post the following:

• pictures/video
  • a craft file
  • mod list (with versions)
  • output log

You don't, unfortunately. I've had better luck when only the docking vessel (not the target) has a moveable docking port, but it's generally a recipe for glitches if not explosions. There was a warning about that in the OP until sirkut rewrote that for 0.19.

Uploading pics/craft. i reduced the craft to show the arm more clearly, but this happens on most vessels regardless of size.

mod list:

-interstellar lite 12.3

-IR .19

-FAR .14.1.1.a

-TAC life support .10.0.12

- TAC fuel balancer 2.4.0.3

-Engineer Redux .6.2.1

Enhanced Navball 1.3.2

Env enhancements 7.3

Hyper Edit 1.2.4.2

KAS .4.8

KRJ 2.4.3.0

kerbal alarm clock 2.7.8.2

kethane 8.8

kw rocketry 2.6c

mechjeb 2

remote tech 1.4.1

Active texture management x86

chatterer .7.0

http://imgur.com/a/NnvZE#0 - pics

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48340804/Duna%20Refuel%20Probe%20test.craft

My native language is not English. so I can't understand your comment.. and I used Kerbal Joint Reinforcement but it couldn't change the physics.

Basically, I need rotation Parts of 5m diameter that can hold the weight of at least 500t (I used google Translator.. Grammar seems wrong but I don't know how to modify it)

can you make custom part for me?

My latest challenge is to develop a PID for my Nasa Athlete model. It turns out steering and driving around is a cinch. But making it level itself on hills will be a real challenge.

http://i.imgur.com/6funSoV.png

Oh, and wheels! When is someone going to make some wheels that mount on a vertical pinion? I'm going to have to model some myself I think.

Cheers!

Good work guys!

There will be IR Rework wheels eventually. I already have models but need to spend time getting them in game.

@Poofer:

That's probably a docking problem. Moving docking ports with IR parts causes bad things to happen, usually misalignment and sometimes explosions. It's a known issue, but there's no easy fix.

I can't test that craft though, because it requires several mods that I don't use (MechJeb, KW, RemoteTech2, and TAC Life Support).

@BlackDragon Korean:

Your English is fine, and much better than my Korean.

You can create your own parts by copying the part configs. Try opening KSP/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Parts/Legacy/IR_HingeTall/part.cfg. You can open it in a plain text editor (Notepad on Windows; TextEdit on Macs). The pieces you want to modify are:

// --- node definitions ---
node_attach = 0.0, -0.254, 0.0 , 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.254, 0.0 , 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, [COLOR=#ff0000][B]0[/B][/COLOR]
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.325, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, [COLOR=#ff0000][B]0[/B][/COLOR]

The red zeroes at the ends of the lines are the attach node sizes (the green balls in the VAB). Making them bigger (1) makes the joint stronger.

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
mass = 0.025, 0.05, 0.1
}

These are the masses for the Small, Medium, and Large hinges. Heavier parts are stronger in KSP.

Also change the names so the new part doesn't conflict with the old part:

// --- general parameters ---
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]name[/B][/COLOR] = IRHingeTallScaleable
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]title[/B][/COLOR] = Powered Hinge

If you want, you can also make the part larger by changing these numbers:

[COLOR=#ff0000][B]rescaleFactor = 1.0[/B][/COLOR]
// --- node definitions ---
node_attach = 0.0, [COLOR=#ff0000][B]-0.254[/B][/COLOR], 0.0 , 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, [B][COLOR=#ff0000]-0.254[/COLOR][/B], 0.0 , 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_top = 0.0, [B][COLOR=#ff0000]0.325[/COLOR][/B], 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

The first six numbers for node_attach and node_stack lines are:

position x, position y, position z, vector x, vector y, vector z

There's more information about part configs on the KSP wiki, but only in English and Russian.

you're most likely right about the docking, i only ever troed using IR for docking ships. i plan to use it more heavily with rovers but for now i guess it will remain as a way to amuse myself punishing kerbals when they fail...

Soooo... Somebody tell me, IR have kOS integration, or still works via a-groups+KOS?

Can't find any documentation for IR API in kOS.

Sirkut has given the kOS team everything we need to give you guys way cooler integration. We on the kOS team have been distracted by something shiny and will take advantage of this soon.

Sirkut has given the kOS team everything we need to give you guys way cooler integration. We on the kOS team have been distracted by something shiny and will take advantage of this soon.

I expect to see videos showcasing it. :)

I've been looking forward to see how you guys handle individual parts.

Having some kind of crazy crashy issue with IR. New version. Modded KSP 32-bit, Windows 8.1 64. Log attached: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_logMSIcrash.txt

How it happens:

1. Take IR hinge part (or whatever, I think) from part list.

2. Attempt to attach to (tweakscaled) b9 part in SPH, shows green.

3. Click to attach. Does not attach, instead the IR part (still green) rotates a bit under mouse cursor, will no longer attach, and if you try, a few long freezes, crash.

Did I do something heinously wrong here?

Sounds like something amazign. Can't wait, guys. And not only me, as I think:)