[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

1.25m in-line/stack internal bay looking a bit better (those super thin side supports looked silly), happier with these side panels (and one piece too)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Current models are all edge-split to make them look angular, looks fine on the square 0.625 body, not to sure about that on this one though

[Edit] Redone, also now includes terrible MSPaint textures

[Edit2] 2.5m spoke/open bays

Not convinced that's a useful layout just yet.

Edited by NoMrBond

So this is me kinda annoyed and stuck.

As you know I made a truth table to get the robot to work and now i can go from this:

VxnVv89l.png

...to this:

znjZGgLl.png

...and have it walk, with just a few key presses. Believe it or not this is really quite a tricky combination of moves and shortcut keys because REASONS.

But you see that 'closed up' look? I can NOT GET A NICE SHELL. I don't need a perfect one, but I want something like the "pill" shaped rolling rover I posted earlier. And it's bugging the hell out of me. I've thrown on some tanks and structure to try and make a neat look but it isn't quite working as nice as I would like, I think. I could add a new fairings between the closed-up fairings but I think that will be ugly. I would make the leg fairings wider, but it tends to get really ugly around the edges then. Haven't solved this problem yet, aesthetics matter! I want my pseudo-heat shield!

Couple of options. Learn blender and make the custom part. I haven't looked but someone has an app that will let you create custom part. Unsure if it does shield type shapes. Last I could take a look at the craft file and make a part for you.

Couple of options. Learn blender and make the custom part. I haven't looked but someone has an app that will let you create custom part. Unsure if it does shield type shapes. Last I could take a look at the craft file and make a part for you.

Wow, generous offer!

You've actually given me an idea. If I was to put on a dynamic "top" fairing I could pretty much cover most of the core, top-half of the robot with a fairing. I wish the procedural fairings came in a "6 sided" version, that would solve the problem.

Sirkut, I'll give this a little more work before I try and make other people fix my problems! :D

So this is me kinda annoyed and stuck.

As you know I made a truth table to get the robot to work and now i can go from this:

VxnVv89l.png

...to this:

znjZGgLl.png

...and have it walk, with just a few key presses. Believe it or not this is really quite a tricky combination of moves and shortcut keys because REASONS.

But you see that 'closed up' look? I can NOT GET A NICE SHELL. I don't need a perfect one, but I want something like the "pill" shaped rolling rover I posted earlier. And it's bugging the hell out of me. I've thrown on some tanks and structure to try and make a neat look but it isn't quite working as nice as I would like, I think. I could add a new fairings between the closed-up fairings but I think that will be ugly. I would make the leg fairings wider, but it tends to get really ugly around the edges then. Haven't solved this problem yet, aesthetics matter! I want my pseudo-heat shield!

Do you mind going through the lengthy ordeal of telling me how to make a robot "walk"? ;D

I'm in the middle of making a bunch of parts right now, and this sounds both interesting (and good practice). I'll have a look at it when I get home.

So I made some napkin-math assumptions about the size-scale-curvature of TinyPirates hexapod and guesstimated some panel-legs for it

[Edit] Link to files for hex/arc panels would help

That's all I could do over lunch but hopefully the panel is useful as is, maybe not, just let me know and I can adjust the scale/curve etc later (or just fiddle with the rescaleFactor, the origin is the attach_node so that should remain consistently placed)

The attach point is also a guess, hopefully about right, it should be facing into the curvature, centered and perpendicular to the center outmost panel, hopefully.

[Edit2] Attachment should work fine for the outside of these panels, but probably not the inside because the collider needed to be convex. I'll redo the rushed/basic UV unwrap, texture and funky shading tonight when I'm not pushed for time.

I've just noticed that these come to a distinct point, whereas the ones in the example pictures actually have truncated/blunt ends, let me know about that if there's a preference

NoMrBond. I'm actually going to try what you have so far available tonight.

Awesome, let me know how it goes (or doesn't) and if you have any suggestions for the parts (layout, size or just anything really) as I really have no idea how other people will, or want to, use them.

[Edit 3] Updated the panels with a proper unwrap, some texture fixes and shading should now work correctly for them

Updated the download link with the new files

Edited by NoMrBond

I'm in the middle of making a bunch of parts right now, and this sounds both interesting (and good practice). I'll have a look at it when I get home.

Ooh, thanks for trying the parts! I had a go and they are cool, although somewhat larger than my current enormous walker! I think we could go back and forth for a long time tweaking but that this might suck up a lot of energy and I'd feel bad. As it is I sort of have a solution: By making the legs longer and the dome-like part higher I get a pretty good effect in the end:

kV8LWOKl.png

e4n7o7Yl.png

28bnqJZl.png

To be honest, the length of those legs makes them fairly wobbly - shorter legs are better - and it doesn't move as fast as the "not pretty" version, but this one IS prettier! And that's important! I've put a strut either side of the legs at their root, but I can't seem to stop them from flexing, which inhibits movement. Hmmm. I could probably return to the shorter legs if the procedural fairings mod allowed for SIX side panels, instead of only four max.

Congrats on making it into this weeks KSP Weekly!

Thanks!

Do you mind going through the lengthy ordeal of telling me how to make a robot "walk"? ;D

Have a look at this basic video I made:

What you can't see is that under the leg root is another, small rotating piece. The large piece rotates one way, the small the other, that keeps the leg vertical and not rotating. I have Clockwise on the big rotatatron bound to Y and counter-clockwise on the small rotater bound to Y - so one key press, and it walks (and you have to flip that for the other legs, which means that the large rotators on one side are in the same group as the small rotators on the other side - and vice versa).

From there the legs need to be offset slightly in start position. You can see in my video that the centre leg has the small rotator at the 6pm position, and the front and back legs are positioned on a rotator set at 12pm. On the opposite side this is reversed, so the centre would be at 12, and the two ends at 6. End result is it will walk!

Now, on my folding-up dome it is.... a touch more complex, as all legs start in the same position (6pm) and three legs need to be rotated to the 12 position and then the other legs need to rotate so that their fairings face the right way and then ALL the legs need to rotate as described above to make it walk. That's why I needed to work out the groups on paper!

Ooh, thanks for trying the parts! I had a go and they are cool, although somewhat larger than my current enormous walker! I think we could go back and forth for a long time tweaking but that this might suck up a lot of energy and I'd feel bad. As it is I sort of have a solution: By making the legs longer and the dome-like part higher I get a pretty good effect in the end:

To be honest, the length of those legs makes them fairly wobbly - shorter legs are better - and it doesn't move as fast as the "not pretty" version, but this one IS prettier! And that's important! I've put a strut either side of the legs at their root, but I can't seem to stop them from flexing, which inhibits movement. Hmmm. I could probably return to the shorter legs if the procedural fairings mod allowed for SIX side panels, instead of only four max.

Thanks!

Have a look at this basic video I made:

What you can't see is that under the leg root is another, small rotating piece. The large piece rotates one way, the small the other, that keeps the leg vertical and not rotating. I have Clockwise on the big rotatatron bound to Y and counter-clockwise on the small rotater bound to Y - so one key press, and it walks (and you have to flip that for the other legs, which means that the large rotators on one side are in the same group as the small rotators on the other side - and vice versa).

From there the legs need to be offset slightly in start position. You can see in my video that the centre leg has the small rotator at the 6pm position, and the front and back legs are positioned on a rotator set at 12pm. On the opposite side this is reversed, so the centre would be at 12, and the two ends at 6. End result is it will walk!

Now, on my folding-up dome it is.... a touch more complex, as all legs start in the same position (6pm) and three legs need to be rotated to the 12 position and then the other legs need to rotate so that their fairings face the right way and then ALL the legs need to rotate as described above to make it walk. That's why I needed to work out the groups on paper!

Can you post a video of your newest creation? This kind of stuff is amazing.

I have to warn you that in every walking robot i've made, the servos eventually fall apart after a certain distance.

I posted a hexapod that fell apart before, and heres a bipod:

nudge nudge sirkut.

when it falls apart, the pieces are technically still connected, so even the parts flying away rotate when you press the button.

Thanks for the kind words but it would have never happened if DYJ and r4m0n didn't set the ground work with the original damned robotics pack. Code wise they did all the heavy lifting. I just saw more potential and made more parts for it with a few enhancements to the code.

Ooh, thanks for trying the parts! I had a go and they are cool, although somewhat larger than my current enormous walker! I think we could go back and forth for a long time tweaking but that this might suck up a lot of energy and I'd feel bad. As it is I sort of have a solution: By making the legs longer and the dome-like part higher I get a pretty good effect in the end

No problem, they were interesting to make and I had to make a lot of guesses about the size so not surprised that they were off.

Do let me know if you want any custom parts though, knowing what other people think is useful in terms of parts for automation will help with what I'm working on and we can both come out ahead.