[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Are there any changes between this and the original beta for Powered Hinges? I'm currently in the middle of a behavior description test that should help detail how they misbehave.

Heck with it, I'll see if I can get them to misbehave in the new release candidate.

Sirkut- Thank you so much, this mod is the most important mod for my Interstellar install. I appreciate your effort and the help you got from all the great modders and programmers here. The process of bringing this mod up to date proved to me once again that the KSP community is the best community there is!

Edited by Yuval ofer
misspelled

No. There is no-one working on this mod any more, and the past 40 odd pages certainly haven't been about the various bugs, the fact this is broken in 0.23.5, testing with a beta, encouragement towards sirkut (who isn't working on updating it).. nope, none of that. This is an orphan mod.

I asked a question. I quickly skimmed through a few pages and noticed they were all from TODAY. I did not feel like reading through at least TENS of pages just to find out when I could just ask that simple question here.

A bunch of popular mods have sadly been discontinued in the past, so is it that weird of me to ask that question then?? I have had other mods break on me several versions ago that has NOT been updated yet.

It might be obvious to you people who have been following this thread, but I have never followed this thread at all.

And since I have not followed this thread, I asked this question here since I knew people like you would be. But instead of being helpful and spending a couple of seconds on a yes/no answer you decide to attack me.

I dont even know if it is a thing that can be easily fixed since i am not a programmer and dont know what squad has changed.

Also there was no info on front page about it being fixed.. All it said was that it was broken in 23.5.

If there had been any info on front page I would never have asked and wasted your precious couple of seconds.

I really dont get why you attack people for asking a simple question.

Edited by boxman

I cannot download the darn thing from github. I try clicking the link and I get a nasty gram about not being able to read files this big. How the heck do I get the darn zip file?

Yep. I've got misbehavior on the full size powered hinge (not the door, the block) in the new release candidate. Gonna run a full series and detail.

@ctbram Try the "Raw" button next to the "Open" button. Should say "Open - Raw - History - - Delete" Click "Raw". Should download the zip.

Release candidate 0.14 (Thanks phoenix_ca)

Parts used:

Powered Hinge (IR, block, not door)

RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit

FL-T800 Fuel tank

BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point

Modular Girder Segment

Launch Clamp

Of these I believe only the hinge itself is significant.

Here's what I've found:

Screenshot:

screenshot67_zpsc946e19e.png

Built this way: part (orientation keypresses) attachment type,

Fuel tank, RadAttPt (none) radial, Girder (D) node, Hinge (S, Q) node, Girder (A) node, Hinge (S, Q) node

Fuel tank, RadAttPt (none) radial, Girder (D) node, Hinge (S, A) node, Girder (A) node, Hinge (S, Q) node

Expected behavior: both arms are expected to look and perform exactly alike, with the exception of orientation of the first hinge.

Actual behavior:

screenshot69_zpsa7244d07.png

To detail:

The axis of rotation (first hinge) is reversed.

The notional "static" face (bottom node, without logo) does not move, and it should. (Needs bigger hammer).

The notional moving face (top node, with logo) moves when it should not. (Needs Duck Tape).

This behavior seems tied directly to which node is used to attach to parent part. Surface attachment is similarly broken.

screenshot70_zps6854c98e.png

The surface attached ones are copies of the opposite side, surface attached to the tank, and oriented so that "up" is common for all hinges on the end of their respective arms.

Edited by VaporTrail

Vapor, is that with the most recent version (0.14)? I suspect it is given your posts but you should specifically say which one you're using.
Actually did... but it was two posts above the report... But yes, it is.
VaporTrail: that backwards hinge issue is one of the bugs fixed in my patch-set (by Kreuzung). It sounds like sirkut will be able to get to that after the up-coming release.

This is good. Was the only remaining issue that I had with that part. The Mass-displacement bug got thoroughly squashed it looks like... was the first thing i tested as it was giving me fits.

Hmm... Is there an extant issue with the toolbar button not hiding the IR GUI in the flight scene and/or orbit map view?

Having that issue, flight staging/docking and orbit views. New release candidate for 0.14, verified Toolbar as the version bundled with it.

On the plus side, the toolbar icon works in VAB scene.

I am having trouble with setting hinge direction and limits. I have drawn what I want in the vab in yellow.

fdV66A9.png

If I set the left side to 60,90 the bottom hinge moves the correct 60 deg but the upper hinge moves the wrong direction (instead of 90 deg and pointing down and left it moves 90 the worng way and points up and right!

If I check the inv box then the upper hinge does not move at all and the thing forms a straight line! Like this...

7EhLWn2.jpg

ctbram: You launch that thing as-is with FAR?!? madness. Have you not considered building it in orbit?

It probably looks a lot less crazy with fairings. O.o

Anyway. This is close enough for me. Backed-up my main save and we'll see if I can actually get some things done now. Got some satellites to put up that simply wouldn't work without this. >.<

Edited by phoenix_ca

VaporTrail: that backwards hinge issue is one of the bugs fixed in my patch-set (by Kreuzung). It sounds like sirkut will be able to get to that after the up-coming release.

Exactly what taniwha said. I will be bringing in his changes that will fix that bug. Should have that one out soon and fix the toolbar bug that had plagued the plugin too! :)

Alright. Telescopic pistons have me flummoxed. I think I built one right, but the wrong parts are moving. That is, the inner parts push down through what I'm sticking them on, not the black parts moving away. But hell, I don't even know if I built the damn thing right, and when I thought I got one (finally) right, when I saved it in a subassembly, the stack attach node that the game kept was the one inside the largest piston, not on the inner part of the smallest one...

Does anyone have a picture of one that works? I think what's getting me confused is the placement of the stack attach nodes on the A segments, which seem to necessitate that the whole thing clip through whatever it attaches to.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Yes. And that's what it looks like. But the base (segment A) has a node deep inside it. When I try to attach the whole thing to something, its entire length clips through.

Edit: Here.

In the VAB:

UZ6wqzY.jpg

Extended:

qbH3Uzv.jpg

Sooo, what. Are you supposed to just surround it with girders to make it work?

Edited by phoenix_ca

the entire length is supposed to clip through. the business end of the base piston should sit almost flush with the root part.

i'm assuming you attached the piston to the probe core? if so, i dont think the node is supposed to be that far down. it should be just under the black edge, same as the grey ones sitting on top of it. and i have no idea what's going on down by the batteries. i dont remember it having any more nodes.

I've been following the thread for a while, but I don't understand the technical aspects of what you folks are talking about (but I super-super-appreciate the work sirkut and omgnull everyone helping test/fix things is putting in).

Judging by the thread today, it sounds like there is still a bit of misbehaviour with the 0.14 update - do you guys think it's reliable enough to [back up my save and then] stick it into my main Career mode game? Or is the consensus "give it a few more days to iron out the bugs"?

P.S. donated! :)