[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

About the window, is it possible to make is draggable so I can make it bigger? Right now the buttons to move something up/down in a group are outside of the window and I need to use the scroll bar, which feels silly considering how much space I have available. Also could the max rotation button to the left be removed and just have the same function replacing it? A text box directly instead of the button opening it.

No to both questions. I have to rewrite the GUI crap in order to allow resize and it's a pain. I went through many iterations until I arrived at this set of screens and I'm going to leave it as is for now. The only bright wide is I may be able to fix the resizing issue but it's going to be a while. Unity doesn't make it easy.

Maybe in the next update I will widen the window for now.

Hi again,

the new update is really good. Of course I had to replace the old version's parts with the new ones on my crafts. And it turned out the new version is better for huge crafts, like my Jaeger. The hinges and rotratrons seem to have stornger joints, so the attached part is much stiffer. Is it possible to make it even stonger, so that the connection is 100% fixed. In the gif you can see the hinges are not entirely stable, they wobble alot after the movement stops (hyperextending knees) and the joints are not fully stable. Also if the parts would have more power to move, lift, rotate things it would be awesome. I hope you understand what I try to describe and maybe you can help me with this.

Here the gif.

Any thoughts on this? It would help me so much.

Any thoughts on this? It would help me so much.
You could try removing Tweakscale and manually making the joint parts a lot larger (rescaleFactor), that used to have an effect but I'm not sure in these more recent versions. Probably something that large in high gravity just isn't going to function as you'd like.

Sirkut, I love the mod, but making boxes with the hinges drives me nuts, as they never seem to connect like it seems they should. Is there some way to get flat pieces to attach flush with the hinges, in a way that looks like a hinge on a door? I am attaching an image of one of my box satellites to show what I mean.

S6Qva8M.png

You can see that the only way I could get the hinges to make a box leaves the hinges at a perpendicular to the flat piece. I suppose what I would really like is a 90-degree hinge that attaches on the flat sides. This may be a nitpick on a fantastic mod, but I find that there is a cognitive disconnect in how I think the part should work from looking at it, and how it actually attaches.

I agree with Larkvi, A 90 degree plain hinge would be a nice part (in addition to the open and closed ones) :) I built a box satellite after seeing the Gif of your creation there and noticed the same thing.

Keep up the awesome work Sirkut, IR is probably the one mod i cant play without, and probably the one that most belongs in the stock game.

Hello! I am having a problem, when I am building in the SPH, and turn to 2x symmetry. Both of the hinges, or whatever else, turn in opposite directions, (I.E.) One points "^" and the other points "v". This is in the SPH, so it makes it very difficult to build a space shuttle with variable thrust direction.

Hello! I am having a problem, when I am building in the SPH, and turn to 2x symmetry. Both of the hinges, or whatever else, turn in opposite directions, (I.E.) One points "^" and the other points "v". This is in the SPH, so it makes it very difficult to build a space shuttle with variable thrust direction.

Use the rotate buttons you see next to the servo name. they will help your orientation. They are labeled "<" and ">" in the editor.

Using a closed door hinge and telescopic pistons, this happens:

What's wrong?

I need to see a craft file + mods being used for that craft. That normally happens when docking two crafts and the reparenting doesn't work correctly. It's a known bug in that scenario but in this case I'll need to see the craft file.

Ok, here is the craft from the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2ccsb5r1wvxri3/foldable%20antenna.craft

parts are stock, IR, TurboNisu's stockalike and RLA stockalike

Here is a similar craft with only stock and IR parts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ecwcor9p91acju/IRtest.craft

the effect is less severe but still present (visible on the radial decoupler)

Ok, here is the craft from the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2ccsb5r1wvxri3/foldable%20antenna.craft

parts are stock, IR, TurboNisu's stockalike and RLA stockalike

Here is a similar craft with only stock and IR parts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ecwcor9p91acju/IRtest.craft

the effect is less severe but still present (visible on the radial decoupler)

That's a common problem that you'll just have to learn to recognize when using IR parts: part orientation and attachment points significantly change the movement.

In this case, the hinge was definitely backwards. I don't see any way to distinguish the two sides (it's easier with ZodiusInfuser's WIP rework parts), so that kind of animation problem is the only way I can recognize that it's backwards.

The telescoping pistons (and stackable extendatrons in the rework parts) have two attachment nodes very close together. You have to be careful to attach the one on the inside to the body of the ship, and the thing it pushes to the node on the outside. That's easier to see with larger pistons.

Here's a fixed version of your stock+IR craft so you can take a look at how the pieces should attach.

That's a common problem that you'll just have to learn to recognize when using IR parts: part orientation and attachment points significantly change the movement.

In this case, the hinge was definitely backwards. I don't see any way to distinguish the two sides (it's easier with ZodiusInfuser's WIP rework parts), so that kind of animation problem is the only way I can recognize that it's backwards.

The telescoping pistons (and stackable extendatrons in the rework parts) have two attachment nodes very close together. You have to be careful to attach the one on the inside to the body of the ship, and the thing it pushes to the node on the outside. That's easier to see with larger pistons.

Here's a fixed version of your stock+IR craft so you can take a look at how the pieces should attach.

Exactly what Master Tao said. You have to connect the parts correctly or they will act in the manner that you are having issues with.

Thank you so much! Yeah the smaller pistons are hard to assemble, I'll have a look at the rework (I also saw a subassembly with the whole series of pistons somewhere)

Unfortunately, the problem with the hinge is still here. It is actually caused by the decoupler. If I place the hinge on the material bay, it works fine. But when it's on the decoupler weird things happen. Sometimes there will be a glitch like in the video, sometimes the hinge will not move (the effect is consistent for a given craft). Here is a screenshot with two hinges, one on the Material bay and one on the decoupler. Both have identical orientation and IR settings and are controlled with the same group.

En4zyoJ.png

craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9nkq7thecrph2e/irTest2.craft

Unfortunately, the problem with the hinge is still here. It is actually caused by the decoupler. If I place the hinge on the material bay, it works fine. But when it's on the decoupler weird things happen. Sometimes there will be a glitch like in the video, sometimes the hinge will not move (the effect is consistent for a given craft). Here is a screenshot with two hinges, one on the Material bay and one on the decoupler. Both have identical orientation and IR settings and are controlled with the same group.

http://i.imgur.com/En4zyoJ.png

craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9nkq7thecrph2e/irTest2.craft

What version are you using? I'm using the latest and both hinges work fine with your craft file. What mods are you using along with IR?