[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

You can get around that with action groups C4pt.Miles (if I understand what you're after), Action Groups Extended has up to 250 of them and each servo can go in any number of groups. You also get the "move center" action that's missing from the IR panel, it's press once to start and again to stop though which isn't quite as pleasing as hold down to move.

A first testing version for smooth interpolation is available: Github repo (you only need the updated InfernalRobotics.dll). (very WIP, likely to break stuff!)

So far it is only wired to rotation, and tested only with the "IR rotatron" part. Max Speed and Acceleration are still hardcoded, but it takes its modulo flag and min/max position (if modulo is off) from the interface in the right-click menu (will not update during flight). If anyone is curious about smooth acceleration, feel free to test!

I wired the three buttons (left, zero, right) with movement commands that last only while the button is pressed. On release the axis will smoothly brake.

The debug output shows a bit of the inner workings (like the generated commands and current pos/speed).

For me it seems to ignore an adjusted max/min and always do a full 360* (I set them in the VAB, I didn't make a test install and put the .dll into what maybe a huge unstable mess), what's the modulo flag? I just set rotate limits on and adjusted the max/min. It's great though :)

Could it be possible to add a move to upper/lower limit function? Possibly available as additional action group commands. Anything that happens just in the grey IR GUI isn't available to kOS, at the moment it can only read the servo position from the KSP GUI and stop when it reaches a certain angle (expecting an immediate dead stop). I can't see a way to reach a known position at the moment other than activate the servo for long enough that it's guaranteed to reach a set limit.

Anything that happens just in the grey IR GUI isn't available to kOS, at the moment it can only read the servo position from the KSP GUI and stop when it reaches a certain angle (expecting an immediate dead stop). I can't see a way to reach a known position at the moment other than activate the servo for long enough that it's guaranteed to reach a set limit.

The work is underway to provide better integration of IR and KOS, but it is in really early stage.

You can get around that with action groups C4pt.Miles (if I understand what you're after), Action Groups Extended has up to 250 of them and each servo can go in any number of groups. You also get the "move center" action that's missing from the IR panel, it's press once to start and again to stop though which isn't quite as pleasing as hold down to move.

You mean I can hit one button and the thing spins forever?

Propeller planes here I come!

You're going for the electric motor solution? You'll win with endurance but in a dogfight I'll beat you with my turboshafts with climb rate, dive speed and horizontal speed, and more when the tanks are almost empty. Plus the next engine will have room for a GM-1. Electric motors are for the Prius ... efficient but not exiting at all.

You're going for the electric motor solution? You'll win with endurance but in a dogfight I'll beat you with my turboshafts with climb rate, dive speed and horizontal speed, and more when the tanks are almost empty. Plus the next engine will have room for a GM-1. Electric motors are for the Prius ... efficient but not exiting at all.
They look like quad or hex basic jet engines? They're a ton each on there own and an IR motor is 0.1, can you really beat something much smaller and lighter in KSP's current aero/drag model?

Update from the smooth interpolation front (Github), (you only need the updated InfernalRobotics.dll). (WIP, may contain bees)

Translation works now. Axis inversion works (BUT toggling it in flight will cause jumps!).

Speed and acceleration can be configured in the right-click menu. After tweaking min/max, accel or rotateLimits on/off, the new values get active after click 'configure interpolator' (it will refuse to update while moving).

A little flight test. The blades were mounted flush on the rotatron, the gaps are caused by centrifugal forces (rotation speed is 2000°/s or about 5.5 revolutions per second).

juva5tK.jpg

This will probably be the last version from my fork, since I noticed there is already another rework going on and I'd rather contribute there than develop something concurrent.

This will probably be the last version from my fork, since I noticed there is already another rework going on and I'd rather contribute there than develop something concurrent.

The rework is for the models only, no plugin editing. With a bit of luck, the reworks models should be able to use your IR fork fine.

Update from the smooth interpolation front (Github), (you only need the updated InfernalRobotics.dll). (WIP, may contain bees)

Translation works now. Axis inversion works (BUT toggling it in flight will cause jumps!).

Speed and acceleration can be configured in the right-click menu. After tweaking min/max, accel or rotateLimits on/off, the new values get active after click 'configure interpolator' (it will refuse to update while moving).

A little flight test. The blades were mounted flush on the rotatron, the gaps are caused by centrifugal forces (rotation speed is 2000°/s or about 5.5 revolutions per second).

http://i.imgur.com/juva5tK.jpg

It seems, in my install, the limits don't work with rotating joints that don't have a toggle'able "rotate limits" (pivitrons/foldatrons/ect) and I can make it work by setting "rotateLimits = False" and adding "limitTweakable = True" in the particular parts MuMechToggle module. Is this expected behaviour or have I got other problems?

Oh that rework.. yeah, I don't know too much about that one. Carry on, as you were :)

That rework is actually moving forward quite nicely :) We're hoping to bring some improvements, both on stability/performance side and UI/usability side quite soon, if we get sirkut's blessing.

It seems, in my install, the limits don't work with rotating joints that don't have a toggle'able "rotate limits" (pivitrons/foldatrons/ect) and I can make it work by setting "rotateLimits = False" and adding "limitTweakable = True" in the particular parts MuMechToggle module. Is this expected behaviour or have I got other problems?

I can't really tell, have tested very few things with that version. It's surely not intended behavior. There will also be no maintenance of this particular version since I ported it over into the ongoing rework.

I can't really tell, have tested very few things with that version. It's surely not intended behavior. There will also be no maintenance of this particular version since I ported it over into the ongoing rework.
OK, thanks, I'll wait for a release of the Rework.

They look like quad or hex basic jet engines? They're a ton each on there own and an IR motor is 0.1, can you really beat something much smaller and lighter in KSP's current aero/drag model?

I'll test them tomorrow with my PTT when I get home.

That rework is actually moving forward quite nicely :) We're hoping to bring some improvements, both on stability/performance side and UI/usability side quite soon, if we get sirkut's blessing.

Blessing? Hell I'll welcome any help I can get! I'm unfortunately really busy right now which is a shame because I really want to get back into coding. I have IR as well as a new mod the IR Robotic Arms plugin which will be pure awesome once I get the last bit finished but I'm stuck with work and being a new parent. Eats time up quick!

Blessing? Hell I'll welcome any help I can get! I'm unfortunately really busy right now which is a shame because I really want to get back into coding. I have IR as well as a new mod the IR Robotic Arms plugin which will be pure awesome once I get the last bit finished but I'm stuck with work and being a new parent. Eats time up quick!

Don't worry, we have your back! Check out the improved ServoControl window:

SIeQmWg.png

Edited by Ziw
moved image to imgur

*not to scale :P

I wonder if people can figure out what the new buttons do before we tell them :)

Well most of them, except maybe green arrows are self explanatory. We'll leave the mystery of bigger green arrows till release then.. ;)

sorry about scale, macosx has its own ways of making screenshots

Well most of them, except maybe green arrows are self explanatory. We'll leave the mystery of bigger green arrows till release then.. ;)

sorry about scale, macosx has its own ways of making screenshots

I'd say the big green ones are either "move all group to the limit that way" or "keep moving all group that way".

This may or may not have been asked before, but this mod can make what I want happen, I hope. is there a way to preset rotation points on the parts. as an example, I am building a bomber of sorts and it would be nice to have rotating piece that rotates an i-beam with 4 BD Armory rails attached. What I want to do is select which set of munitions I want to use and it rotates to the preset position so the munitions are deployable from the bomb bay.