[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Hey bran new here, so I'm unsure of the etiquette regarding bug reporting, but I've got one for you. I'm running KSP with KAS Kethane, and Infernal Robotics, all the latest versions, if that helps.

The problem is, quicksaves/quickloads have been reversing the direction of rotation for some IR Rotators on my VTOLs (if it reversed all of them, it'd be fine). I'm not sure how it picks which set to reverse, but this seems to be a new problem that is getting worse with each build/save I make. My first VTOL never had an issue.

If I had to guess, I'd say the plugin isn't clearing it's memory properly. Settings and servo controls carry over to new ships and parts instead of being reset.

Hey bran new here, so I'm unsure of the etiquette regarding bug reporting, but I've got one for you. I'm running KSP with KAS Kethane, and Infernal Robotics, all the latest versions, if that helps.

The problem is, quicksaves/quickloads have been reversing the direction of rotation for some IR Rotators on my VTOLs (if it reversed all of them, it'd be fine). I'm not sure how it picks which set to reverse, but this seems to be a new problem that is getting worse with each build/save I make. My first VTOL never had an issue.

If I had to guess, I'd say the plugin isn't clearing it's memory properly. Settings and servo controls carry over to new ships and parts instead of being reset.

Are you using the latest version from spacesport or the one from the first post of this thread?

Are you using the latest version from spacesport or the one from the first post of this thread?

Mediafire wont let me download the file...

- Edit: seems like server troubles are over all ready, so never mind :)

Edited by Lucchese

Hi probably do something wrong but can't get this mod to work have put it in the gamedata folder, but nothing appears realated to this mod. I am playing from a career save game if that makes a difference.

Im having issues but probably doing something wrong have installed mod in gamedata folder but when i play no parts or anything appears related to this mod. I am playing from a previous career mode save if that makes a difference.

Hi probably do something wrong but can't get this mod to work have put it in the gamedata folder, but nothing appears realated to this mod. I am playing from a career save game if that makes a difference.

I haven't implemented career mode. Im currently looking at contributions because I don't play career mode. The next update will have career mode and I will have that done later this week.

I haven't implemented career mode. Im currently looking at contributions because I don't play career mode. The next update will have career mode and I will have that done later this week.

Oh, if you're looking for suggestions... The parts could all easily go in the Tier 8 "Robotics" tech node. That one seems custom made for IR. But it couldn't hurt to add a few earlier in the tree. Perhaps docking washers under "Precision Engineering", and powered hinges and pistons under "Unmanned Tech". They should probably all go on nodes that lead to the Robotics one.

I dont like the end of tech tree nodes. Their names do seem to fit some mods very nicely but it means that you need to unlock basicly the whole tree before you get to the mod. In practice this means i could have gone and done a sandbox game to play with the mods parts since there will be no difference, i will have all parts unlocked when i get to the mod parts.

I dont like the end of tech tree nodes. Their names do seem to fit some mods very nicely but it means that you need to unlock basicly the whole tree before you get to the mod. In practice this means i could have gone and done a sandbox game to play with the mods parts since there will be no difference, i will have all parts unlocked when i get to the mod parts.

This is my main concern. Getting modparts should be a means to an end and not the goal itself.

[bUG REPORT] I have a vertical gantry on the back of my rover, and every time I load it up it gets lower and lower and starts to drag on the ground. The rover is for a Mun base that is still in the testing phase, so it's currently located next to the runway. Every time the gantry starts to drag I just launch a new rover, but I can't do that on the Mun, and this gantry in an essential tool to build my base. It got so low one time that it clipped 3/4 into the ground.

I play career mode. I'll send you my ideas for part placement when i get chance.

I decided to tackle creating a config file for use with ModuleManager .

I took the advice of boberts314 and moved the items you had under Specialized Control Systems and Large Control into Precision Engineering and Unmanned Tech (respectively). I also put the items you have under Robotics and placed them under Composites.

This is my first go at using ModuleManager, so if I made any glaring errors, please let me know. It seems to run for me, but I can't say that I have much experience at telling if ModuleManager is set up correctly or not.

// Tier 5: Advanced Construction 
@PART[IRHingeOpenHalf] // Open Powered Hinge 1/2
{
TechRequired = advConstruction
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeOpenFourth] // Open Powered Hinge 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeClosedHalf] // Closed Powered Hinge 1/2
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeClosedFourth] // Closed Powered Hinge 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IR_RotatronFourth] // IR Rotatron 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}

// Tier 6: Specialized Construction
@PART[dockingwasher_std] // Docking Washer Standard
{
TechRequired = specializedConstruction
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[dockingwasher_jr] // Docking Washer Junior
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[dockingwasher_free] // Docking Washer Standard (Free Moving)
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[dockingwasher_freejr] // Docking Washer Junior (Free Moving)
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IR_HingeIndustrial] // Powered Hinge
{
entryCost = 0
}

// Tier 6: Precision Engineering
@PART[IRHingeClosed] // Closed Powered Hinge
{
TechRequired = precisionEngineering
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeOpen] // Open Powered Hinge
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeTallHalf] // Powered Hinge 1/2
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeTallFourth] // Powered Hinge 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeTallHalfND] // Powered Hinge 1/2 90 Degrees
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeTallFourthND] // Powered Hinge 1/4 90 Degrees
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IR_RotatronHalf] // IR Rotatron 1/2
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRPistonHalf] // Hydraulic Cylinder 1/2
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRPistonFourth] // Hydraulic Cylinder 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}

// Tier 7: Unmanned Tech
@PART[IRHingeTall] // Powered Hinge
{
TechRequired = unmannedTech
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRHingeTallND] // Powered Hinge 90 Degrees
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IRPiston] // Hydraulic Cylinder
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IR_Rotatron] // IR Rotatron
{
entryCost = 0
}

// Tier 7: Advanced Metalworks
@PART[dockingwasher_sr] // Docking Washer SR
{
TechRequired = advMetalworks
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[dockingwasher_freesr] // Docking Washer Senior (Free Moving)
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[AdjustableRailHalf] // Adjustable Rail 1/2
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[AdjustableRailFourth] // Adjustable Rail 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}

// Tier 8: Advanced Motors
@PART[TelescopeHalfA] // Telescopic Piston 1/2 - Segment A
{
TechRequired = advancedMotors
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeHalfB] // Telescopic Piston 1/2 - Segment B
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeHalfC] // Telescopic Piston 1/2 - Segment C
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeFourthA] // Telescopic Piston 1/4 - Segment A
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeFourthB] // Telescopic Piston 1/4 - Segment B
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeFourthC] // Telescopic Piston 1/4 - Segment C
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[AdjustableRail] // Adjustable Rail
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[IR_Rotatronmk2] // IR Rotatron Mk2
{
entryCost = 0
}

// Tier 8: Composites
@PART[IR_RotatronVTOL] // VTOL Rotor Mk1
{
TechRequired = composites
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[GantryLarge] // Gantry Rail
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[Gantry] // Gantry Rail Jr
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[GantrySmall] // Gantry Rail 1/2
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[GantryExtraSmall] // Gantry Rail 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[GantryLargeVariant] // Gantry Rail Variant
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[GantryVariant] // Gantry Rail Variant Jr
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[GantrySmallVariant] // Gantry Rail Variant 1/2
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[GantryExtraSmallVariant] // Gantry Rail Variant 1/4
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeFullA] // Telescopic Piston - Segment A
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeFullB] // Telescopic Piston - Segment B
{
entryCost = 0
}
@PART[TelescopeFullC] // Telescopic Piston - Segment C{
entryCost = 0
}

I know it's not trivial but if these parts could be procedurally scaled the number could be cut down drastically and be more useful overall. Often the smallest parts are still too large to make folding rovers and probes.

Hey all.

Having a problem with getting a free moving docking washer to work while building a rotating central hub for a ring section of my new station. Here's a pic of the module.

screenshot2.png

From top to bottom.

Docking port

Battery*

Free Moving Washer (red down)*

Structural Fuselage (with small rockets to start rotation and lights pointed toward the central docking ports)

Battery

Multipoint Connector with 4 Docking Ports

and reverse this back down to the end docking port.

*originally had these reversed, with the washer right after the docking ring, but when it didn't work right, I flipped this to see if it would help)

When I test it on the rocket before launch, I fire up the small rockets mounted to it, and it looks like it works like a champ. Everything between the washers rotates, while the control module above and the launcher below stay still. Tested again in orbit and still works like a champ. The part I want to rotate works fine. So I dock the module at my station, and now, I get no rotation at all when I dock it. I have no clue what is going on. It's acting like the washer is locked, but of course, you can't lock a free moving washer. So I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No other robotic parts on the rest of the station currently in orbit. The rest of the station is stock iirc. Only other thing I checked so far is the flight log after I docked it, just to make sure it wasn't damaged during docking, but nothing reported there.

Hi All,

Forgive the lack of updates with the mod of late. Both myself and Sirkut are re-assessing where we want IR to be for the 1.0 release. Since coming on the team I've been working on remodelling a number of parts currently offered, in order to give a more unified feel and allow for cooler robotic contraptions! Whether I end up redoing every part remains to be seen. Certainly texturing will be something that we hope to address, but not by me as my texturing skills are non-existant :P.

Now, been as though I'm working on these new models I'd like to ask people some questions:

- Are there any parts in the current lineup that you don't use? What's the reason for this, e.g their style, size, redundant functionality?

- Do you have any suggestions for new parts the mod could benefit from (that you can't already do with the current selection). Maybe you had an idea for a craft but couldn't build it due to lack of parts. Many people in the past have suggested a Scissor-Lift so that's on my list.

As an incentive for feedback, I'll leave you with this :)

_b730df6af7ed44e5a567293e56623d02

Thanks!

Maybe it is best if I explain what I would like to see from the mod:

- Parts should be as modular and unspecific as possible. Prebuilt or semi prebuilt parts can sometimes look nice, but it also limits their use. Most of us play KSP because of its freedom and I think that parts should allow for that, instead of restricting the users or uses. The best parts are parts that get used in ways the designers of those parts never envisioned.

This also means parts should be relatively simple. Although it is tempting to embellish, they are a means and not an end. They should not be show pieces, but functional and beautifully simple.

- The look and feel should blend nicely with stock KSP and stock parts. I think it has been noted that the current look sometimes does not really match up with KSP parts. They generally look good on their own, but seem a bit out of place when combined with other parts to make a vehicle.

Also, some parts are hard to combine with stock parts while still looking good. A notable example it the powered hinge ("taller motorized hinge") - which is incredibly useful - but through its width makes it hard to build anything that looks good. No truss or beam will fit it right. Either the hinge is way too small, or its surface is so big that truss will only cover its surface partly, looking odd.

Outside of the textures I like the general look of the parts, the only and major exception being the VTOL rotatron. The single flat powered hinge with a different model looks fine, but seems redundant as the open and closed hinges do the same thing (and look even better).

- I would really love kOS support - but I know that is being worked on, so I will sit quietly in my corner :D I know that Sirkut is taking a coding break from things and I think that is a very smart move. Take your time, do it right and have fun along the way.

It think this complements and repeats the points I made in these two posts. Let it - again - be noted that I really love your efforts. The mod is pretty great as it is, but I think you guys have all that it takes to make it perfect. Cheers!

Edited by Camacha

The next texture group I will make them more stocklike so everyone will not feel out of place using them. There are some new part ideas that Zodius has that are simply amazing. It's actually made me want to move a little forward on making the textures look more stock because I would hate for someone not to use them they are just that mind blowing.

First, this is an awesome mod!

I have one annoying issue: The 'Servo Configuration' GUI in the VAB/SPH is not blocking. As a result, if I click on the GUI while part of my craft is behind it, I end up selecting (and moving) that part/tree. As KSP has no way to cancel a part selection, and tends to recalculate strut placement and mirrored components when dragging, this can become very frustrating and destructive.

I searched through the thread but did not see any mention of this.

Is this something others have encountered? Am I missing a simple setting (in KSP or the mod)?

Not having seen the code, it would seem likely that you just need to make the GUI modal/blocking, but I don't know if it works that way.

Thanks

mughi

- Are there any parts in the current lineup that you don't use? What's the reason for this, e.g their style, size, redundant functionality?

- Do you have any suggestions for new parts the mod could benefit from (that you can't already do with the current selection). Maybe you had an idea for a craft but couldn't build it due to lack of parts. Many people in the past have suggested a Scissor-Lift so that's on my list.

I find myself most often using the docking washers, powered hinges, and hydraulic cylinders. Also nothke's DROMOMAN parts make for a very nice arm. I guess I prefer parts that snap together with nodes. Surface mounting some of the others can be tricky, and there's quite a bit of overlap in functionality. The only new additions I can think of at the moment are unpowered hinges and sliders, and perhaps a set of girders that match the style of the parts (though it looks like you may already be working on that in the picture). Lowering the part count with the help of v0.23's tweakables would be great. Most of all, I'm looking forward to kOS integration. Moving the parts manually is always going to be a bit awkward. Once you can script them then you start to get far more interesting things. I know that's more sirkut's area, but as a guy who works with robots in real life, I can't wait to throw PID controllers on everything!

Keep up the great work!

Yeah, the click through on the VAB window gets annoying.

Another issue with many of the parts is they are either difficult to get the nodes to snap together or don't snap together at all with each other and/or with non IR parts.

DROMOMAN is good for small arms but for what I've done I had to build it sticking straight up in the air, in a folded configuration, then rotate the bottom joint to put the arm horizontal. That required using an extra part at the base joint to be able to do the rotation with the KSP rotation controls instead of the IR ones, which only work on a single axis.

I mounted a docking port as an EOAT then braced the arm with a bunch of Quantum Struts so it could be used as a refueling port before going to the Mun. Landed the rover, turned off the struts then jettisoned the engines and fuel tanks, all ready to drill for Kethane and transfer to the lander. All for naught because the lander didn't use any less fuel getting to Mun orbit without the two heavy drills on it.

But the research won't be wasted. I'll likely re-use the arm as is along with the engine and tanks jettison concept for kethane mining and processing rovers to refuel an Eve lander. Heh. Just thought of the names the vehicles will be using. Tinker for the drill rover, Evers for the processing rover, Chance for the lander.