[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Here's a quick demo of an unskinned space station ring (there's actually 2) on the launch pad.

rowra5yar8a4ztufg.jpg?size_id=5

I think I like the look of the image more than the smoothness of the ring in the movie. As long as you guys keep the feeling close to stock, I am game.

I think I like the look of the image more than the smoothness of the ring in the movie. As long as you guys keep the feeling close to stock, I am game.

The image is more representative of what the final style will be like. The video was our first attempt at getting the part to work in game, as we've had to do a trick to get around a limitation in KSP, so no point spending time texturing it and the idea not work.

Edit, I would love to see people use these as wheels! Obviously the main purpose of them is to add spinning mid-sections to your craft for Artificial Gravity and the like. At least that's what I plan to do ;)

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Could we have pre-stretched pistons & pre-shifted rails/gantry-rails? I mean the initial position of the translating part is at one side instead of at the center position, thus allowing more flexible usages.

Could we have pre-stretched pistons & pre-shifted rails/gantry-rails? I mean the initial position of the translating part is at one side instead of at the center position, thus allowing more flexible usages.

I suppose I could do that. I'll make is a separate pack do those who want them can install them. I feel that with all the parts I may be a bit spammy in the ship editor. :)

Pre-stacked telescoping pistons? Still haven't managed to get the two smallest sections to stack. A precisely aligned stack of all 9 sections would be ideal to have in subassemblies. Place and tear off however much isn't needed.

Like a piston Post-It pad.

Pre-stacked telescoping pistons? Still haven't managed to get the two smallest sections to stack. A precisely aligned stack of all 9 sections would be ideal to have in subassemblies. Place and tear off however much isn't needed.

I can prestack them as a subassembly. :)

Here you go, the trick was turn on part clipping in the cheat menu (gasp! oh no!).

http://www./view/ms8oqcicaxhrlye/AllPistonsStacked.craft

place that in your saves\savedgamename\Subassemblies directory. It contains all 9 stacked Telescoping Pistons.

Obviously the main purpose of them is to add spinning mid-sections to your craft for Artificial Gravity and the like. At least that's what I plan to do ;)

I have wondered for a while now whether this would actually work like this in real life. Somehow I feel the two seperate parts are redundant en they would just rotate the whole ship, as you see with probes now.

Ohhhh, yeah. Torque reactions. To counteract the torque of one part spinning one way you need another part spinning the opposite direction.

Easiest is equal masses at the same speed in opposing directions. Can also use a lighter mass #2 spinning faster or a heavier mass #2 spinning slower. If you're planning to steer a ship with spinning parts, you'll definitely want to use a counter torque system.

'Course there's always the SciFi method of a reactionless rotation device, powered by handwavium. :)

One of the neatest SF universes without real artificial gravity ;P is C.J. Cherryh's Alliance/Union series. In it the stations spin around but instead of having a "2001" style stationary, zero G hub to dock at, the ships dock at the edge. Not sticking out like spokes but perpendicular. To visualize, put a CD down flat then poke a finger straight down at the edge. Ship, meet docking port. The ships all have some amount of rotating space for the crew, passengers and cargo that can't tolerate zero G. When coming in to dock the rotating section is stopped and locked. that results in most of the living area being either inaccessible (without climbing crazy angled ladders) or with a tilted deck. Military ships lock down their rotating sections when going into battle so they can maneuver easier.

What she doesn't get deep into on the tech is that the ships would need something for counter torque and that even then the spinning parts would reduce maneuverability. Another bit of "Nobody needs to know all that." lack of detail is the stations would need some massive grappling arms to support the ships at dock, of a universal design to grab hold of any ship without damaging it, and the docking ports are all somehow universal, even for an alien ship from Earth which coincidentally is built pretty much the same way as ships of the Compact, including using the same jump drive technology.

Yet another bit glossed over is that to come into the edge of a station spinning fast enough to simulate 1G, the ships would need belly thrusters powerful enough to lift the ship against that much gravity, and side thrusters powerful enough to scoot the ship sideways as fast as the edge of the station is moving.

But if you have all that in mind while the story goes on about docking as if it's simply plugging Ship A into Station B... well the characters are "living" it and wouldn't do a running commentary about the tech they live with every day.

I have wondered for a while now whether this would actually work like this in real life. Somehow I feel the two seperate parts are redundant en they would just rotate the whole ship, as you see with probes now.
Ohhhh, yeah. Torque reactions. To counteract the torque of one part spinning one way you need another part spinning the opposite direction.

Easiest is equal masses at the same speed in opposing directions. Can also use a lighter mass #2 spinning faster or a heavier mass #2 spinning slower. If you're planning to steer a ship with spinning parts, you'll definitely want to use a counter torque system.

This is actually an issue within the game too! When I started the ring on my first test craft, because it was heavier, the centre of my ship just spun in place. The solution is to either have contra-rotating rings as you say, or control systems such as RCS or reaction wheels.

To make life easier for people I'm going to incorporate a reaction wheel into each of these parts, with a large force but only on the roll axis. This will save having ships with 10 SAS units inline. For the sake of realism imagine that there is a large mass wheel enclosed in the centre of the mechanism, rotating in opposition to your main ring. That should minimise Handwavium :P

'Course there's always the SciFi method of a reactionless rotation device, powered by handwavium. :)

This is actually an issue within the game too! When I started the ring on my first test craft, because it was heavier, the centre of my ship just spun in place. The solution is to either have contra-rotating rings as you say, or control systems such as RCS or reaction wheels.

To be honest, the most logical way of doing this is through simple modern tech RCS. Once the thing is turning you do not need any additional input (bar some minor corrections) and it prevents you having to deal with all kinds of heavy center wheels with bearings, rotating connections and whatnot or magical equipment. Space flight is predominantly KISS. If there is a simple, light and easy solution, go with that. A singular monolithic craft is preferable for a lot of reasons. You just spin it.

Any chance of getting the old DR Suspensatrons working with .22? I put them in the game data folder but they didn't show in the inventory.

The old what? Be sure to wrap the text file with PART { and at the end }

To be honest, the most logical way of doing this is through simple modern tech RCS. Once the thing is turning you do not need any additional input (bar some minor corrections) and it prevents you having to deal with all kinds of heavy center wheels with bearings, rotating connections and whatnot or magical equipment. Space flight is predominantly KISS. If there is a simple, light and easy solution, go with that. A singular monolithic craft is preferable for a lot of reasons. You just spin it.

The problem with using RCS to counter the torque of a spinning part is that'll run out of fuel.

Small update. First space station ring part is done. Devo did a great job with the texture. Here's a little video demo. I was too lazy to set an action group to start up the motor so I simply clicked on the GUI button.