[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Ok, thanks all. I could do the .cfg edits myself, but I'd have no idea where to put everything. I kind of want to explore the tech tree through the game interface, I guess.

I suppose I could just chuck everything into that robotics node...

Ok, thanks all. I could do the .cfg edits myself, but I'd have no idea where to put everything. I kind of want to explore the tech tree through the game interface, I guess.

I suppose I could just chuck everything into that robotics node...

My thoughts on tech tree placement... I tried to spread the parts around a bit to match up with what felt like appropriate technologies. I tried to keep all of the parts attainable in the stock tech tree as well. Let me know if this looks like a good evolution of the attainable techs? I tried to keep everything in related trees as far as sizing and obtaining them goes but some just struck me as more or less unrelated.

I have NOT made modified configs for any of this yet as the idea just hit me to break down the parts in the tech tree. If this placement idea sounds good, please share the config with me :P

Advanced Construction (Tier 4, ~120 science):

Open Hinge (Half, Quarter)

Closed Hinge (Half, Quarter)

Rotatron (Small)

Specialized Construction (Tier 5, ~240 science)

Docking Washers (Standard, Junior)

Docking Washers Free Moving (Standard, Junior)

Industrial Hinge

Specialized Control Systems (Tier 5, ~240 science)

Closed Hinge (Full size)

Open Hinge (Full size)

Powered Hinge (Half, Quarter)

Powered Hinge 90 Degrees (Half, Quarter)

Rotatron (Medium)

Piston (Half, Quarter)

Large Control (Tier 6, ~600 science)

Powered Hinge (Full Size)

Powered Hinge 90 Degrees (Full Size)

Piston (Full Size)

Rotatron (Large)

Adv Metalworks (Tier 6, ~600 science)

Docking Washers (Senior)

Docking Washer Free Moving (Senior)

Adjustable Rail (Half, Quarter)

Adv Motors (Tier 7, ~900 science)

Telescoping Piston Segment (6 segments for Half and Quarter)

Adjustable Rail (Full Size)

Rotatron Mk2

Robotics (Tier 8, ~1500 science)

VTOL Rotatron

Gantry (all sizes / variants)

Telescoping Piston Segment (3 segments for Full Size)

Edited by Barklight

I'd probably move most of the stuff out of control systems (maybe VTOL rotatron would be sensible there), put anything powered in motors or techs requiring it...

Since you've been nice enough to compile this list, I think I may try my hand at re-sorting it myself...

Actually, I think no parts should go into a specific node like that.

Reasoning is like this: The bizarre technology progression of the stock research tree exists "to introduce new players to the game". People who install mods are not "new players", they know what they're installing, or at least, why. Therefore, it makes no sense to place mod parts of a gameplay-changing mod like that far at the end, it's not a far future barely feasible technology like Kethane or Extraplanetary Launchpads -- in the historical space exploration, things moving on servo motors have been used since the very beginning and there's no reason to think they should only be available as some kind of late tree advance. It makes much more sense for smaller parts to correspond to probe cores (which permit automation and would presumably involve the use of actuators) and bigger parts to correspond to heavier construction advances (which would permit to improve on smaller actuators and make them bigger).

There isn't enough branching in the stock tech tree. Things sort of cross over, and nodes are sometimes filled with arbitrary items. I'm working on a new tech tree, which will be from probes to manned, as opposed to the stock tree. And I'll also try to keep separate branches for 'type' of part. I've spent the last 20 some hours just cataloging parts and their relative cost with Mission Controller Extended. Then i'll break it up into tech levels based on performance/usefulness then make a tech tree from scractch.

Since they added science payouts for missions with MCE, I'm thinking of doing "mission research nodes" which would have a crazy cost like 101,000 RP, but would be associated to as specific mission to perform in order to 'unlock' that next tier, or wtvr.

Anyway, it's taking way longer than I ever thought. I'll get there.

There isn't enough branching in the stock tech tree. Things sort of cross over, and nodes are sometimes filled with arbitrary items. I'm working on a new tech tree, which will be from probes to manned, as opposed to the stock tree. And I'll also try to keep separate branches for 'type' of part. I've spent the last 20 some hours just cataloging parts and their relative cost with Mission Controller Extended. Then i'll break it up into tech levels based on performance/usefulness then make a tech tree from scractch.

Since they added science payouts for missions with MCE, I'm thinking of doing "mission research nodes" which would have a crazy cost like 101,000 RP, but would be associated to as specific mission to perform in order to 'unlock' that next tier, or wtvr.

Anyway, it's taking way longer than I ever thought. I'll get there.

I don't use MCE but I'm starting to think I should - looks like it would add a lot of functionality and a structured space program career to the game. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Regarding this mod, I just spent a half hour going through all of the configs for these parts and added them to their respective tech tree nodes (as how I planned them out last page, p143). But they aren't showing up on the research window :( All I did was add the "TechRequired = ##node##" lines in each config file right above the cost, though. Then I loaded my current career savegame and went into the tree and didn't see them.

I'm wondering if I need a new game or if there is just more to updating the configs than just adding one line to each file.

I don't use MCE but I'm starting to think I should - looks like it would add a lot of functionality and a structured space program career to the game. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Regarding this mod, I just spent a half hour going through all of the configs for these parts and added them to their respective tech tree nodes (as how I planned them out last page, p143). But they aren't showing up on the research window :( All I did was add the "TechRequired = ##node##" lines in each config file right above the cost, though. Then I loaded my current career savegame and went into the tree and didn't see them.

I'm wondering if I need a new game or if there is just more to updating the configs than just adding one line to each file.

Need to add the research cost too.

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

Or whatever cost you desire. (it's not being tracked now anyway)

I have a request; would it please be possible to get an optional download/pack for MSI with/of half size (512x512) textures/normals for the ones which are currently 1024x1024 images (guessing from the 3/4 MB .mbm images)?

I will see what I can do. I should have enough free time to do a texture reduction.

Awesome, thanks a lot. I like the textures, unfortunately KSP does not like a lot of textures :\

Assuming the different hinge models all use the same textures (and the powered/unpowered washers?), would it be possible to get a blank.mbm in the pack as well, essentially a white/blank 2x2 texture? as I'd like to try using the MODEL{} texture/ argument to get them to share the same texture. Just because you need the model to load with a texture before you can call another texture using the argument, so you load it with the blank 2x2 texture, then call the proper texture from the other directory.

I don't know why it doesn't work if you don't have at least some texture in the directory

Edited by NoMrBond

For a mod I'm developing, I'm curious. Is it possible to make a free-spinning joint that can be locked, but has no motor? I'm planning a mod, and it'd certainly be good if, say, a delicate rover chassis won't snap into little pieces on the way.

For a mod I'm developing, I'm curious. Is it possible to make a free-spinning joint that can be locked, but has no motor? I'm planning a mod, and it'd certainly be good if, say, a delicate rover chassis won't snap into little pieces on the way.

Check the free spinning docking washers. They do what you want.

Check the free spinning docking washers. They do what you want.

The lock feature of the robotics parts is purely a control lock. Since the free spinning parts don't respond to a control they can't be locked. I'm sure Sirkut could include it though if there's sufficient interest in the feature.

Yeah. What I'm talking about is a free-spinning joint that can be braked. I looked at the CFGs and there's no clear indication of how they're even made freespinning, other than some cryptic function of jointSpring.

The locking is done within the source code. The joint spring in the cfg allows the free movement of the joint. I would have to code support for the free moving washer which I haven't done.

Victor tan. I honestly don't know what the problem is. If you can give me steps to reproduce it I can try. From my experience in using it I have no issues. Only thing I can think of is to do quick saves.

The bizarre technology progression of the stock research tree exists "to introduce new players to the game"

This is why I made VetTech.

Here's what I did for Inf. Robotics.

@PART[IR_Rotatron]:Final {
@TechRequired = advConstruction
}

@PART[IR_Rotatronmk2]:Final {
@TechRequired = specializedConstruction
}

@PART[IR_RotatronVTOL]:Final {
@TechRequired = automation
}

@PART[IRPiston]:Final {
@TechRequired = generalConstruction
}

@PART[TelescopeFullA]:Final {
@TechRequired = precisionEngineering
}

@PART[GantryLarge]:Final {
@TechRequired = advMotors
}

@PART[AdjustableRail]:Final {
@TechRequired = advMetalworks
}

@PART[dockingwasher_free]:Final {
@TechRequired = advExploration
}

@PART[dockingwasher_std]:Final {
@TechRequired = advExploration
}

@PART[IRHingeClosed]:Final {
}

@PART[IRHingeOpen]:Final {
}

@PART[IRHingeTall]:Final {
@TechRequired = composites
}

@PART[IRHingeTallND]:Final {
@TechRequired = composites
}

@PART[IR_HingeIndustrial]:Final {
@TechRequired = advMotors
}

This is why I made VetTech.

This approach is not particularly useful exactly because there's so many mods in use and they all will default to the stock tree, no matter how silly it is, just because it's stock... so the better option is to rearrange the tree itself.

But ok, I guess. :)

Here's what I did for Inf. Robotics.

What about the Extendo though?