[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Are there any particular parts you have issue with?

"Issue" would be too harsh a term.

I'd just like the option of smaller hinges/rotatrons/everything for times when size is not the most important thing.

For instance, I'm building the Cabana Corp. Icarus Solar satellite, which relies on vertically deployable solar panel arms. It's not impossible to do with the current-size parts, but they just look too big for the trusses they're used to lift...

I'll upload an image when I get to my main computer.

Downloaded the thing from the link in the OP, so yeah should be the latest version...

Here's a pic of the Icarus in VAB:

screenshot1_by_akutou-d6s30ob.png

The trusses used to extend the solar panels are probe sized (at their base) yet the hinges used are... just... big.

There's no probe (or any) sized versions of any of the parts. At least not in the pack I downloaded.

It's no problem for me to re-size them myself, I just thought it would be a good thing to have in general...

Otherwise, I like the heavy industrial look of it all.

Suggestion: Can you maybe make a telescopic piston/cylinder with a shorter span? Say, if the one already in the pack is 2 meters when contracted, then a 1 meter (2.5 meter expanded?), a 1.5 meter (3 meter expanded) and maybe even a 0.5 meter (1.5 meter) version...

That particular hinge has three different sizes contained in one single CFG. In fact a lot of the parts come in three sizes. The telescoping piston actually comes in a lot of sizes, once again in the CFG. Just to be certain, when you go to launch you have custom speed control too right?

Doing a test right now, trying to stack all the telescopic pistons largest to smallest but cannot get part C of the 1/2 and 1/4 to stick to anything. Part C of the full size was very difficult to get to stick to part B. Looks like the node sizes need reduced. Can't see when the part turns green because the nodes are larger than the end of the parts. Part C of the full size is only turning green and sticking when angled off one tick to left or right. Full size A and B there's no problem getting them to go together.

With editor extensions' vertical snap, the parts go to perfect alignment but will not stick together without a lot of moving and trying to bring the segments together from different directions and using different camera angles. (Pretty much like normal parts with symmetry on a complex rocket. Stick it on from *that* side works but not from *this* side even though the result is identical.)

I wanted to see how far an assembly of all nine pieces would stretch.

Smaller nodes on the smaller parts and see if they can have built in alignment snap like fuel tanks, engines etc.

What I'd like to see on this mod is a way to minimize or hide the window in the VAB. At least it can be dragged mostly off screen, unlike the MechJeb windows.

I used the A and B sections of the 1/2 size pistons to mount landing legs to so they could spread way out on a kethane mining Mun lander with two side by side 16,000 unit tanks.

With all these parts it should be possible to build virtual machine tools like lathes and milling machines. Needs a way to read in G-code files and have virtual materials that can be dynamically modified to simulate being cut.

Edited by Galane

That particular hinge has three different sizes contained in one single CFG. In fact a lot of the parts come in three sizes. The telescoping piston actually comes in a lot of sizes, once again in the CFG. Just to be certain, when you go to launch you have custom speed control too right?

Oh... Then it might be something on my end since I fast-added the parts to the career mode...

I'll check the cfg files to see if I've went through everything...

Found something odd with IR. load this and throw it on the pad. Zoom in and observe the fuel tank do a little dancing.

http://pastebin.com/3y4i6XGw

Remove the stack of pistons and launch again. The tank is sitting perfectly still. Plug that piston stack into the side of a big tank like one of the ReStock Thundermax ones, with the same probe core on top and it gets downright violent the way it jumps around. Odd that the movement gets larger on a much heavier object.

Does it even with torque on the probe core disabled.

Extend the piston stack all the way and the wiggle slows down.

Before I had this 8 piston stack I put together a 5 level one and didn't notice any wiggle like this. I made a jumping Kethane tank with the 5 stack. Extend the pistons, it tips. Retract and it tilts up onto the pistons, extend but not too fast and it jumps a bit. Repeat until it hops off the edge of the pad and explodes. ;)

Is there a way to shrink the node sizes on all these rods smaller than the full size B segment, and make them snap in place like engines do onto fuel tank ends? I've tried many times but cannot get the 1/4 size C segment to attach to the 1/4 size B segment, even when the B segment is attached directly to something else.

Thanks but I do have questions. Which symmetry problem would that be? Also what of this persistent group names issue?

Don't know about KerBlammo, but I've had the problem that when I have robotics parts connected via symmetry to something, sometimes when quickloading or switching from another ship the symmetry is corrupted. I.e. a hinge on the 'left' side now turns upwards when activated, while the corresponding hinge on the 'right' side turns downwards, even though originally they both turned upwards.

An almost surefire way to make this appear is to connect a robotics-containing ship with another (not necessarily robotic) via KAS.

Additionally, docking a robotics-containing ship with another ship causes (not in all cases, but when it starts to happen it's fully reproducible) the physics to go crazy (space kraken style) and the combined ship to start violently spinning until parts are flung off. I'm relucant to use IR on anything that needs to dock because of this.

Found something odd with IR. load this and throw it on the pad. Zoom in and observe the fuel tank do a little dancing.

http://pastebin.com/3y4i6XGw

Remove the stack of pistons and launch again. The tank is sitting perfectly still. Plug that piston stack into the side of a big tank like one of the ReStock Thundermax ones, with the same probe core on top and it gets downright violent the way it jumps around. Odd that the movement gets larger on a much heavier object.

Does it even with torque on the probe core disabled.

Extend the piston stack all the way and the wiggle slows down.

Before I had this 8 piston stack I put together a 5 level one and didn't notice any wiggle like this. I made a jumping Kethane tank with the 5 stack. Extend the pistons, it tips. Retract and it tilts up onto the pistons, extend but not too fast and it jumps a bit. Repeat until it hops off the edge of the pad and explodes. ;)

Is there a way to shrink the node sizes on all these rods smaller than the full size B segment, and make them snap in place like engines do onto fuel tank ends? I've tried many times but cannot get the 1/4 size C segment to attach to the 1/4 size B segment, even when the B segment is attached directly to something else.

Ok. I tried your craft out and I see the strange wobble. I don't know how to fix it right now. Seems like a strange physics bug. Maybe due to the parts being recessed? Not sure.

The nodes are already shrunken down to it's smallest size which is "0" in this case within the CFG.

Don't know about KerBlammo, but I've had the problem that when I have robotics parts connected via symmetry to something, sometimes when quickloading or switching from another ship the symmetry is corrupted. I.e. a hinge on the 'left' side now turns upwards when activated, while the corresponding hinge on the 'right' side turns downwards, even though originally they both turned upwards.

An almost surefire way to make this appear is to connect a robotics-containing ship with another (not necessarily robotic) via KAS.

Additionally, docking a robotics-containing ship with another ship causes (not in all cases, but when it starts to happen it's fully reproducible) the physics to go crazy (space kraken style) and the combined ship to start violently spinning until parts are flung off. I'm relucant to use IR on anything that needs to dock because of this.

Try quick saving before switching and see if it loses it's settings. I am working on a new part where it messes up when docking. I'll try to see if I can repair it.

I've had no problems with my 32,000 unit Kethane mining lander that uses 8 of the full size telescoping pistons, A and B segments stacked, to spread the heavy landing legs out so it can handle moderate slopes.

Could someone pastebin a subassembly stack of all 9 segments of the telescoping pistons? Just need the one arrangement, can pull it out and take ones off either or both ends as needed. Would save a bunch of time assembling them each time when needed.

Edited by Galane

The nodes are already shrunken down to it's smallest size which is "0" in this case within the CFG.

The probe cores have smaller nodes, don't they?

Edited by Galane

The probe cores have smaller nodes, don't they?

I forgot to add a small caveat. The smaller sized items have the smallest node. It's a simple fix in the CFG if you want to change the size.

Looks like we'll have to wait for Squad to add a sub-0 node size, or for some modder to figure out a hack.

Meanwhile, what'd be real useful is if you could get all the IR parts' nodes to snap in place. I'm putting together a multi joint arm on top of a heavy Kethane drill and the docking washers or rotatrons don't self-center on there like fuel tanks, decouplers etc. do.

i guess i havent been following the forums lately. perhaps one of you fine fellows know what has become of DYJ's damned robotics and how magic smoke industries relates to that 0.20 release? i dare not update the damned robotics thread ive accidentally necroed enough threads already. :(

Edited by praise the suuun