Updated Vanilla Munar Rocket + Silisko Edition Munar Rocket

Okay, this one should be a lot easier to fly than the last vanilla one. Same idea as the old one but with wing lander legs, which are much better.

The second screenshot is the full rocket, it\'s just mid-flight. There\'s no extra stuff below that LFE stage.

I also made a Mun rocket in Silisko Edition 0.6. It\'ll easily get you to the mun. Unfortunately I landed on solid ground and blew up, just a few meters away from a body of water.

And just in case someone here can\'t reason things out, you need Silisko Edition to use the second ship.

Would you kindly post some instructions for landing on the Mun with this. Like telling us how high the speed should be or if we should use transfer orbits.

Well getting into orbit is just go straight up with the first stage, up with the SRBs, and then wait a bit with the LFEs so you\'re closer to Apoapsis and will get the most out of the burn. Once you have a fairly good orbit, (make sure it\'s East, the planet\'s rotation helps this way), go around until you see the moon rise, then burn. I don\'t have a set distance or speed I bring my transer orbit up to, but if Apoapsis is atleast crossing the Mun\'s orbit a bit, you should be good. Now you have two choices: Orbit or fall to the surface. For orbit insertion at the mun, just do retrograde burns until the orbit is not so eccentric. For falling to the Mun... well, fall. This is only easily done if your orbit already goes through the mun without correction burns.

For de-orbit if you made an orbit: If you want to look cool, make the orbit REALLY low, around a km, or even less. Then burn a little bit up and opposite your vector, so you\'re scrubbing horizontal velocity while at the same time making sure you don\'t crash while doing so. This is a difficult maneuver, but it\'s fun. I recommend doing this in one of the huge craters where it\'s flat and so there is more room for error. If you\'re playing it safe, just get in any old non-elliptical orbit and then burn yourself down, gradually scrubbing horizontal velocity and then slowing your descent. If you\'re using a wing leg lander, they\'re pretty tough so no need to slow to .1 m/s, but try to be atleast a bit below 10m/s. For take off, just gently throttle up, you don\'t need much to take off on the Mun. Aim your ship so that your orbital plane will be pretty close to Kerbin\'s. Get into any orbit that doesn\'t hit the ground, but don\'t worry about making it big. Go around the orbit and burn prograde so that your orbit will go roughly opposite the direction the Mun orbits Kerbin, a bit inwards towards Kerbin. Do not aim your orbit at Kerbin. Since the moon orbits, your orbit will follow that path (But will not rotate), so if you aim at Kerbin, when you get closer your trajectory will be way off and will get farther and farther off. Then just de-orbit Kerbin if your orbit is not already going into the atmosphere and then just make sure you pull the chute.

Here\'s a picture of the mun escape orbit if it\'s confusing. The arrows represent the direction your new orbit of the Mun takes you in and how they change over time, and the green is just an approximated orbit around Kerbin. As you can see it flies into the ground. If your Mun-escape orbit points right at Kerbin after the orbit moves, you\'ll be on track for hitting your target.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.