[0.20.x] Subassembly Manager

TheUndeadFish

Reread the documentation very carefully, there is a folder that MUST go in the Plugins Data folder.

I installed it correctly, I watched what happened to see if I missed anything. For some reason the categories deleted themselves so all that was needed was a quick click-and-drag.

Well it definitely was a long path, but getting it out from under the Users directory is a good start, as everything under there is protected anyway. Now that you've gotten it out from there, are you sure the folder isn't set to read-only, or that the game/mod isn't being prevented from writing files to it somehow?

Yeah, I made all the directories world writable, although that shouldn't be an issue since the KSP process runs as my user.

I wonder, has anyone else ever successfully used Subassembly Manager on OSX, and on OSX with Steam?

Thanks guys -- I figured it out. While poking around in the plugin source code, I noticed it references the PluginData directory relative to the "saves/<game>/Ships/VAB" directory (i.e., "../../../../PluginData/subassemblyLoader/subassemblies/"). My saves directory is actually a symbolic link to a directory in Google Drive, which I use to sync saves across computers, and this was tripping it up.

Even though the error message said it was failing to save the file in the "/Steam/SteamApps/common/KSP/PluginData" directory, it was really trying to save in a PluginData directory that was a sibling of the symbolic link target, in my Google Drive directory. So I made PluginData another symlink in the same location, and problem solved! Appreciate the help.

I installed it correctly, I watched what happened to see if I missed anything. For some reason the categories deleted themselves so all that was needed was a quick click-and-drag.

same thing here, click and drag and its fixed.

Nice work! (Still eats fuel lines though.)

The trick is that sub assemblies are the same as .20.x craft files. So if you have a .craft file that has the decouplers the root part, you can use that for the subassembly I think.

very useful mod, is possible to create new categories? ships, satellites and misc would be nice

All you have to do is create the directories; the plugin will roll from there

Go to %KSP_ROOT%\PluginData\subassemblyLoader\subassemblies

Folders you create in there will become available as "categories", using the folder names. :)

So this is added correctly. The plugin folder has subassemblyLoader/subassemblies/ then lander lifer and probe folders, when I try and save I can get it to say "save part" but there are no categories to save it to. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Below is the mess I have made of my KSP folder. I have somehow managed to get mechjeb going but can't remember how.

My problem seems to be what to click on after I have cut and paste the .rar files from my /downloads folder into this folder. I have 3 options that are .rar related; Extract files..., Extract Here, Extract to uploads-2013-07-SubassemblyManager

The instructions on spaceport say to 'Extract the GameData and PluginData folders into the main folder....' Can I copy and paste the GameData folder I can see in what I have extracted here under my 'sounds' folder or the GameData/SubassemblyManager folder into my GameData folder?

I don't know how to extract some files to some folders and some folders to others if that's what the above instructions mean. AAAAaaargh, it's doing my head in!

3AEABJq.jpg

Is TheUndeadFish still here?

Could you please do a favour- compile a version that saves subassemblies in the mod directory, rather than in the old Subassembly Loader directory?

Yes, I am warned that this feature is becoming stock, but before it is actually here (and whatever at all).

It just would be nice to see the mod fully completed and perfect for use in the current version, hence the problems of updating various mods for the new version, if some become brocken.

Could you please do a favour- compile a version that saves subassemblies in the mod directory, rather than in the old Subassembly Loader directory?

Yes, I am warned that this feature is becoming stock, but before it is actually here (and whatever at all).

It just would be nice to see the mod fully completed and perfect for use in the current version, hence the problems of updating various mods for the new version, if some become brocken.

It's fully completed and perfect for use in the current version. Squad relaxed the requirements for where mods can read/write data a version or two ago, so the problems you're talking about are nonexistent. The current scheme for where subassemblies are stored will probably continue to work even after the game is out of beta -- not that it will matter, since this is becoming a stock feature on the next beta release, so there simply isn't a question of potential future bugs. If a bug doesn't already exist in this mod, it effectively never will. We're already playing the very last version of KSP this mod will be used with.

It's fully completed and perfect for use in the current version. Squad relaxed the requirements for where mods can read/write data a version or two ago, so the problems you're talking about are nonexistent. The current scheme for where subassemblies are stored will probably continue to work even after the game is out of beta -- not that it will matter, since this is becoming a stock feature on the next beta release, so there simply isn't a question of potential future bugs. If a bug doesn't already exist in this mod, it effectively never will. We're already playing the very last version of KSP this mod will be used with.

It is not really a "problem". Just a matter of changing the path in one or two lines of the code and compiling a new ".dll".

For the sake of simple convinience knowing that all mod files are stored in "gamedata"...

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.