Kerman, Kerman, Kerman... no Smith's or Jones'?

Akinesis

Everyone on my crew roster has the surname Kerman......... or is it not a surname?

Just curious. I did a search but I have not found any other thread. Is it a blind coincidence that all these dudes successfully applied and they happen to all have the same surname? Do Kerbals breed like rabbits and the CEO of KSP has put all of his children to the perils of the project? Or have I missed something and have just made myself look incredibly stupid? :blush:

It's the most egregious example of nepotism the galaxy has ever seen. If you aren't a member of the Kerman family, you can kiss you dreams of space flight goodbye. :D

Just kidding. It's a Kerbal thing.

Edited by Jack Wolfe
Ninja'd by OtherDalfite!

As far as I can see the Kerbals want to get of their planet rather desperately. So it is just preparation for when they colonized the system. A kerbal from Kerbin is called X Kerman. A kerbal from Duna will be called X Dunaman. And someone from Laythe will be X Layman and thus widely ridiculed in the system.

That or the space program is a family business.

Everyone on my crew roster has the surname Kerman......... or is it not a surname?

Just curious. I did a search but I have not found any other thread. Is it a blind coincidence that all these dudes successfully applied and they happen to all have the same surname? Do Kerbals breed like rabbits and the CEO of KSP has put all of his children to the perils of the project? Or have I missed something and have just made myself look incredibly stupid? :blush:

This should explain things clear as mud.

Hrm, how do I tell it to start an embedded at a certain point...

This should explain things clear as mud.

-snip-

What did I just watch...?

So, let me try: Kerman, KèrmÄÂn, KérmÃ¥n, Kêrmãn, Kërmán, KÄ“rmän, KÄ—rmân, and KÄ™rmân. Did I get them all?

All jokes aside, though, I am currently studying Russian, and in Russian there's a pesky thing called stress, which may completely change the meaning of the word and is nearly completely randomly placed. For example, ÷ðüþú (zah-mak) is 'castle', but ÷ðüþú (zuh-mok) is 'lock'. A really good example of this is üуúð (moo-kah, 'flour') and üуúð (moo-kuh, 'torture'). :/ Rather similar to whatever that video was about.

What did I just watch...?

So, let me try: Kerman, KèrmÄÂn, KérmÃ¥n, Kêrmãn, Kërmán, KÄ“rmän, KÄ—rmân, and KÄ™rmân. Did I get them all?

All jokes aside, though, I am currently studying Russian, and in Russian there's a pesky thing called stress, which may completely change the meaning of the word and is nearly completely randomly placed. For example, ÷ðüþú (zah-mak) is 'castle', but ÷ðüþú (zuh-mok) is 'lock'. A really good example of this is üуúð (moo-kah, 'flour') and üуúð (moo-kuh, 'torture'). :/ Rather similar to whatever that video was about.

"Here, son, can you hand me some of that torture?"

"WHAT"

"FLOUR! I meant flour!"

When you become a member of Kerbal Space Program's staff, you surrender your surname and become a Kerman. It's a Kerbal cultural thing, you wouldn't understand. Also, don't ever ask a Kerman about "the coffee strainer exercise". You really don't want to know, trust me on this one.

The Kerman clan is the only tribe of Kerbals technologically advanced enough to launch spacecraft. The rest have not yet discovered semiconductors, or have made semiconductors which were then silenced by leaders who threatened their military or religious way of life (an example of this is found in the infamous Dalton clan).

Ignore the second KSC - that is merely propganda made to scare you. The Kermen are the superior clan!

Some Kerman Clan state propganda explaining the whole thing :P

There's not really a reason for it. In NovaSilisko's thread trying to explain Kerbal words and phrases, he used Ker to mean "Our" and Man for obvious reasons. Therefore, the KSC's "Kermen" are the space programs employees.

When was that idea of "Ker" meaning "Our" first posted? I think I might have invented it :)http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33887-What-do-you-call-the-sun-in-Kerbal-Space-Program/page10

Edited by Holo

• 7 months later...

When god created the universe, he created a man and a woman kerbal. they never ate the forbidden fruit unlike humans but they gained intelligence from god. they then were put on a new planet in a new solar system to not be tainted by humans and their sinful ways. they never got the concept of different last names but last names still existed somehow. they all originated from 2 kerbals like humans are thought to be and live normal obscenely long lives (im talking 100s of years naturally) and have a somewhat safe space program and live happilly drinking Mtn. Dew and eating Fud. <--- Insert umlauts above the U

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.